Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

great forum !

Was generally looking at 32" or 36" Sony Wega Tube TVs, but now I'm seeing the price being about the same for a sony 46" projection TV.
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_17558.htm

Wondering though if a projection based set will work for me.

* My couch and chairs are about 7' to 10' away from the TV.

* The living room where it would be has a lot of sunlight ( I'm on the 32nd floor ) - and light does get in even with the shades down.

* Would probably be about 40% watching News, 20% HBO, 20% sports, and 10% DVDs, and 10% Xbox ...

does it make sense ?

thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hello there.

I have not been able to see the new 46" sony. I'd really like to, but the store does not have one on the floor. They are selling extremely well. onecall has a waiting list. ha

the only other rptv i would consider is a toshiba 42hdx82

·
Registered
422 Posts
Since the room gets a lot of light, a smaller (and therefore brighter) TV like this makes sense. You must be sure that you get to see one in person, though, in order to check out how much reflection you get off the screen. If its anti-reflective coating isn't effective, you won't enjoy the TV much at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CupertinoSlim ...

I went and looked all weekend and could not find this exact model -- looked at The Wiz, J&R, and Circuit City ...

but some of the new rear projections had some special anti-glare screens and looked really good.

not sure how accurate this was, but both salesmen I spoke to said burn-in was a real concern if you had an X-box -- and that the warranty would not cover this ...

I wonder if the Sony store has this model -- I might check there next ...

anyone else see this 46" in person have any comments ?

thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am looking at this TV also. I am deciding between this or the 51swx20b which is about $600 more.

Anyone see this tv yet?

·
Registered
794 Posts
If, 36" is big enough.. go with the 36". Remember, their are issues with rear projection.. all the setup and calibration required to get it to look just right. Also, unless your watching mostly HD, DVD, the normal channels don't look so hot.. If 36" is big enough go for it.. from 7 to 10 feet you should be fine. Sony, also makes a 40" tube.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a significant difference between 36" and 46". I was thinking of the 46" as the smallest of the 1080i Sonys, so it'd tend to be brighter than the 57" or 65" (which would also be too big for sitting just 7' away). If the set isn't mishandled and damaged, it should look great with normal setup that you'd do for any TV.

I won't buy any more

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well - I went to the Sony Style Store in midtown today - and no dice. They don't have it and have never heard of it !

The 50" Wega LCD Rear projector did look sweet though !

So has anyone seen this 46" sony yet ?

·
Banned
362 Posts
I saw this unit at several stores over the last weekend - Pacific Sales, Best Buy, and Goodguys.

You're right, though - there is very little information about it on the web, including on Sony's website - the unit is so new, it's not there. You can find some pretty detailed information here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

I do like this model. Lots of features, a DVI input, and the picture was quite nice in the showroom. Trying to decide between this one and a Mitsubishi 42" Gold Series RPTV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interpol -- can you comment on how bright the screen looked to you ?

I like the fact that it takes up so little space and it's 16:9

but I'm wary of going with a non-tube TV .

It's amazing that 99% of the people in this forum know more than the Sony salespeople ....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I saw the new 46" Sony at goodguys today (in Santa Clara, Ca). Looked nice, although the picture was much darker (too dark) than the other rptvs that were next to it. It may just be their setup of it, since several RPTVs were messed up. I also saw the Mits 42311 at goodguys and at Magnolia. Personnally I'm going with the Mits. Liked the picture a little better and it fits better into the armoire I have (orginally was going to get a 36" wega a while back)

Also saw the Mits next to a Samsung 507 DLP at magnolia. Didn't find the DLP picture any better (and the Mits definetly had better rendition of blacks). Certainly didnt seem worth the $1K+ difference from the 42311 and the Samsung 437. Think I'll pick up the Mits...with a 10% coupon I have it comes to $1700

·
Registered
8 Posts
If people aren't aware, this is just a smaller version of the 51ws500. So fetaure and picture wise, it's very close to that model. As with other Sony RPTV's, it was grainy with factory settinsgs, but I thought the color looked much better than the Hitachi 43fwx20b it was sitting right next to.

mholtz2j -

Have you looked at a sony ws500 series? Does it compare? There's your answer.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Nyc2002:

I had the chance to see the Sony right next to the other unit I'm considering, the Mitsubishi 42311, at Goodguys in Torrance, CA yesterday. I would say that the picture quality of both TVs are very good - the Mits had slightly better color rendition, but I also knew that neither unit was calibrated.

As far as picture brightness goes, I would say the Sony was brighter. Both were very sharp.

Basically, it looks like both units are winners. Makes the decision much harder! Buy the Mits, which has a more manageable weight and footprint, or the Sony, which is 4" larger, and has a DVI input? Argh!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the info interpol.

I think for me DVI is critical --

but I have to see it in person -- can't believe that it's nowhere to be found in my neck of the woods ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.