AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating how to go about building my home theater. If I decide on using an acoustically transparent screen and three identical enclosed speakers, is it then neccesary to build a baffle wall to set them in, or would that be overkill?

· Premium Member
15,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18124708

I'm debating how to go about building my home theater. If I decide on using an acoustically transparent screen and three identical enclosed speakers, is it then neccesary to build a baffle wall to set them in, or would that be overkill?

If they're enclosed speakers you don't need a baffle wall. In fact, most enclosed speakers sound better away from the walls. Many enclosed speakers have boundary compensation switches built if if it is necessary to mount them on or near walls.

Some enclosed speakers have ports or passive radiators. If the ports or PR are on the back, you definitely don't want a baffle wall. If they're on the front, it's better, but still more ideal to mount them away from the walls.

What speakers are you considering?

Craig

Edit: If you're using enclosed in-wall speakers, then you want to mount them in a wall. You don't want to mount them in free air space as they're designed to have a wall around them, (IOW, they have the boundary compensation designed into them.)

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that if they were enclosed that I wouldn't then need an additional baffle wall, but I wasn't sure. I guess I could see how some of the sound that isn't transmitted through the screen might reverberate behind it, but I figured that I could put some sort of absorbing material around the speakers to take care of all of that.

The speakers that Ive been looking at are these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-...6020732&sr=1-4

They seem good for the price, and I'm somewhat on a budget.

· Registered
71 Posts
IMHO, the thing you should be worried about is those speakers. I'm not great with all this, and others could recommend better speakers, but those will definatly not cut the mustard in a dedicated room...won't take much to distort the hell out of those. My setup is not anywhere near some guys here, but I have great full sound, under $800 all together. Polk monitor 70s, 50s rears, cs2 and psw12. I'm no audiophile by any stretch but I've heard those sonys, and it's not good.

Also consider the energy take 5 set, 200 bucks, 300 for a good sub, and your in a very good place soundwise from what I hear

sorry for grammar again, posting from phone

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe52985 /forum/post/18130719

IMHO, the thing you should be worried about is those speakers. I'm not great with all this, and others could recommend better speakers, but those will definatly not cut the mustard in a dedicated room...won't take much to distort the hell out of those. My setup is not anywhere near some guys here, but I have great full sound, under $800 all together. Polk monitor 70s, 50s rears, cs2 and psw12. I'm no audiophile by any stretch but I've heard those sonys, and it's not good.

Also consider the energy take 5 set, 200 bucks, 300 for a good sub, and your in a very good place soundwise from what I hear

sorry for grammar again, posting from phone

You make a great point, and I think that I'm going to have to look more into getting the best speakers that my budget will allow. I doesnt really make sense to go through the trouble of building a home theater if your going to skimp on one of the main ingredients.

· Registered
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18131174

You make a great point, and I think that I'm going to have to look more into getting the best speakers that my budget will allow. I doesnt really make sense to go through the trouble of building a home theater if your going to skimp on one of the main ingredients.

If you are building a HT with a projection screen you need to put a large proton of your budget into speakers. 50% or more of your budget for all the electronics is not uncommon (my speakers are over 60% of my HT). The speakers you link to would never be considered for such a build. Their SQ is inconsequential compared to the technical nature of your original question. You need to visit some HT shops and demo some real speakers before making such a rash and ill advised decision.

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Your choice. The environment is part of the speaker. If baffle mounted, then the crossovers need to be designed with that in mind. The amount of short distance reflections will change the overall character of the sound. Good or bad, you don't know. Not having the luxury of a media room, I have not options to play with it, but from what I did in my guest room, a baffle wall that was actually about 4 inch4ed of 507 with he boxes mounted flush could possible do wonders for imaging. Others may say that much absorption is too much. Wishy-washy answer of "it depends" I know. Just that there is no always correct solution for everyone.

Movie houses are not a good comparison. They have other goals like the ability to use it as a stage. They may want freestanding speakers for other than pure sonic reasons. Just be careful not to compare apples with onions.

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18134284

You do know the OP is asking this about a $40 Sony speaker .

Actually, it's an $85 speaker, and according to most of the reviews it's pretty decent. I had also already mentioned that I would be looking into other speakers to see where I could get the most bang for the buck. Unfortunatly, not everyone has money to burn on speakers, but since you seem to think it's a big deal I suppose I shouldn't invite you over for movie night.

· Registered
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18135226

Actually, it's an $85 speaker, and according to most of the reviews it's pretty decent. I had also already mentioned that I would be looking into other speakers to see where I could get the most bang for the buck. Unfortunatly, not everyone has money to burn on speakers, but since you seem to think it's a big deal I suppose I shouldn't invite you over for movie night.

Amazon lists then for $42.31 (about what you should spend on inexpensive wire to hook speakers up). Again if you are putting in a projection HT then you have money for sound (for instance cut back on electronics, because while important it's much less important than proper speakers). Transducers (speakers) are by far the most important and critical element in a system, bar none. Every speaker design has it's own unique timbre and it's important to get it right for yourself. It's a 100% necessity for a proper HT and not considered money to burn. If you want to burn money then buy Monster cables for your interconnects but DON'T skimp on speakers.

Having said all that then I will ask you the $64,000? If you don't have money for or care about speaker quality then why have you posted 2 technical questions about them?

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You got me, the speakers are only about $40 apiece - i was thinking of the set. I am more of a videophile than an audiophile though, hence in my opinion the projector is the most important and critical part of my home theater. However, as far as the audio goes, I suppose that it would make sense that the speakers would be the most important piece there, but couldn't a cheap receiver cause your expensive speakers not to sound as good as they can. In my view all of your components should match each other so that way you won't have any bottlenecks.

I do care about audio quality, and I can budget more money for my audio if need be, I just like to make sure that I'm getting a good return on my investment. Unfortunately, the law of diminishing returns does tend to kick in at a certain point, and I like to be on the price to performance curve so that I can get the most "bang" for my buck (pun intended). This is still all relatively new to me though, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible about what I'm doing before I start spending money. If I can avoid a few rookie mistakes by taking the time to learn from the pros, then that to me is time well spent.

· Registered
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18135721

You got me, the speakers are only about $40 apiece - i was thinking of the set. I am more of a videophile than an audiophile though, hence in my opinion the projector is the most important and critical part of my home theater. However, as far as the audio goes, I suppose that it would make sense that the speakers would be the most important piece there, but couldn't a cheap receiver cause your expensive speakers not to sound as good as they can...

Not necessarily and take the following scenario. You have a lower mid range Denon receiver and a Krell pre amp/amp. A pair of Bose Acoustimass speakers and a pair of B&W 801D's.

Hook up the Denon receiver to both set of speakers and AB them (levels matched) to lots of people. Over 95% will be able to tell the difference.

Now hook the B&W's 801D's (or the Bose) to the Denon receiver and the Krell and repeat (levels matched). Over 95% wont hear a difference.

Also over time it's easier and more practical to upgrade your electronics (also add in the fact that electronics quickly becomes obsolete while speakers don't).

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a pretty good point. Your speakers would be like your projection screen then - something that you hopefully only need to buy once if you do it right. And, if your speakers/screen are/is of low quality, then your audio/video will be low quality.

· Registered
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSD444 /forum/post/18135856

That's a pretty good point. Your speakers would be like your projection screen then - something that you hopefully only need to buy once if you do it right. And, if your speakers/screen are/is of low quality, then your audio/video will be low quality.

Very good analogy though I would include the projector with the screen as one unit in this case. Now I'm going to listen to some multi-channel music, may be Porcupine Tree.

FYI: 3D projectors are just around the corner so never say never.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.