AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it in mind to attempt a DIY electric drop-down screen. Has anyone ever taken on this project, and if so how did it go?

And tips or horror stories welcome.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You mean you want to install a premade electric screen or motorize a homemade screen? I have been toying with the idea of motorizing one as well. I have gotten down the to design yet, but you might want to look at an automobile power antenna motor as a starting point. They have quite a lot of gear reduction and run on low voltage so they are less daunting to a DIY'r. You might give an installer at your local car stereo shop a six pack of beer to hold onto the throw away's from when they get replaced. Usually the motors are fine, the antenna mast gets bent or broken.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking of creating a complete DIY electric drop down screen, and masking.

That is quite impressive Mark, would you say that you have more power then you need with those motors?

Also how do you control where the motors stop. Do you have to do that manually or is there some type of sensor/switch to keep the masking from running too far?

As some screens are very light-weight, I don't believe alot of motor power would be needed. But being able to set break/stop points would be nice.

I have a bit of engineering and electronics background, but have done very little with motors.

Also the tensioning part of a drop down screen adds some complexity.

Motors are readily available in many local wrecking yards where you can go out and pull it yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I'm planning on putting together a DIY screen. I don't need it to be electrically drop-down, but I definitely want it to be roll-down (screen blocks the door when lowered).

Now, what kind of material are you guys using for the screen? Any problems with waves or wrinkles after rolling up and down several times?

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
65 Posts
velveteen is what I used. and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

velveteen can be put in the washing machine and dryer. I had to do this and iron it also, it was the end of the roll with some heavy wrinkles in it.

-----

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thx Mark -

one more thing: have you gesso'ed or goo'ed it, or just sticked to the plain material? What's the final color? Did you staple or glued it to a wooden cylinder, or attached by other means?

Sorry for all the detail question, just want to make sure I'm making a right decision going with the DIY project...

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
65 Posts
AlexP,

I haven't done any thing to the screen it is just plain Blackout cloth. I have been thinking of trying some gesso. but not quite yet.

I used a piece of 1 1/2" steel electrical conduit for the rod with 1 3/8" bearings on the ends. The best thing that I found to attach it was double sided carpet tape. I have some photos on my website with the carpet tape being attached.

-----

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.