AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have always noticed a better, fuller sound when watching and movie on HD cable, than the DVD. I found this post on another newsgroup . It is from a few years ago....before HD DVD....and I was wondering is it true?

"Not only does HD significantly improve the image

quality over DVD, sound quality will most likely

improve. I would take dolby digital on HBO-HD or D-VHS

over the best DTS track on DVD any day. Higher bitrate

provides much fuller sound.

"

·
Registered
999 Posts
For movies recorded with a surround soundtrack and good sound, yes, most premium movie channels DO broadcast it as is (or not a compressed as on a DVD) - but primarily because the bandwidth exists and it is tricky to downconvert audio (although I bet the fancier rate-shaping equipment that works on the video could do it).

My experience has been mixed, but in general, yes, HD movies that I have watched on cable or OTA *usually have superior sound to the DVDs I own

*OTA movies are sometimes stupidly stuck in 2.1 mode because some genius at the local affiliate forgets to flip a switch somewhere or something

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/0

Ed, that is surprising Wow..Is that the 'norm' for cable?...mine is Comcast. I just wonder why some people, myself included ,seem to think HD Broadcast sound is often better the DVD

I don't know what the norm is. My cable company is also Comcast and I checked ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS during prime time. I guess it's possible that something like HBO during a movie has it higher - but I doubt it - do you really think that cable companies care or even know?

If I remember and have time I'll take a look at what OTA does.

Ed

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I took another look at cable. The 2.0 channels are only at 192 kb/s. It's the 5.1 channels that are at 384 kb/s. Also, the 2nd Pirates of the Carribean was playing on VOD in HD but it was 2.0 and 192 kb/s!

Ed

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gees Ed that is amazing. Thanks for checking that.... so that means that a DTS DVD track is over twice the bit rate of any HD Cable Channel Movie? And a full bit rate DTS DVD track is 4 times the bit rate?

·
Registered
999 Posts
VOD is such a farce - I'd much rather Netflix the movie (umm, I don't have HD VOD - my Comcast only pushes down regular, and usually 4:3 clipped movies).

Especially now that Netflix carries HiDef DVDs.
I finally watched a BluRay movie last night on my new PS3, and the audio bitrate was 600+ (I forget what - I hit info a couple of times). And it sounded AMAZING on my Yamaha 5790 and Athena Bookshelf speaker/sub setup.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/0

Gees Ed that is amazing. Thanks for checking that.... so that means that a DTS DVD track is over twice the bit rate of any HD Cable Channel Movie? And a full bit rate DTS DVD track is 4 times the bit rate?

Just because DTS data rates are higher does not automatically mean that it sounds better. DTS and DD compression algorithms are different and therefore direct comparison cannot be made. Supposedly DD is more efficient.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.