AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new tv for our living room. At first, we were going for a 40" Bravia. Then she wanted a 46" bravia, and now "we've" decided on a 52" Toshiba regza, no problem. But she is hell bent on getting a horrible Bravia DAVHDX275 HTiB(just because it comes with a iPod dock and has a dvd player). I would rather get the Onkyo HT-SP908, 7.1 set up. After a few fights, we've come to a compromise, she can do what she wants in the living room, and I can do whatever I want in the basement. Here is the thing, the basement room is very small, about 5'8 tall, 8 feet wide and 10 feet long. I may have to hunch down a bit while walking to it, but if I set it up properly, set up some good comfy seats and maybe some decent equipment, it may turn out to be a pretty good mini theater.

Now, I am not sure if I should go for a projector set up, maybe use the closet there to house the components and use the opposite wall as the screen, or vice versa. I've thought about getting a cheap 1080p DLP, but that may be too thick to use, and will decrease how much space I have to be away from the screen. Any advice will be much, much, much appreciate.

By the way, this is going to be a project that I will want to spread out between some months, hopefully to be done before Thanksgiving. My budget shouldn't be more than 2k.

Also, with those dimensions, would 7.1 be overkill? Keep in mind that we will be moving within a year or so, so I don't mind ripping everything out and starting again, hopefully in a much bigger room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing, would it be wise to go for 1080P for a room that size or will 720P be enough. Remember, I will eventually like to move everything to a bigger house with a bigger room.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawatcher3 /forum/post/14315269

My room is only 11x9.

Nice, but you have height in your room, mine is only 5 feet, 8 inches tall.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be wise to just forget the projector and go with a 52" LCD instead?

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's still possible. The project will need to be on a coffee table or something low. Also the project will need to be in the middle so seating needs to be consider.

With about 10ft or less in throw distance, I would say the max size would be about 80 or less.

If you know that you will be moving and possible getting a place that has room for a theater, I would definitely go with project and skip the lcd.

As for 7.1, yes it's a bit small and you will not take advantage of it. Even my current ht barely takes advantage of it. Again, if you are planning for the future, consider 5.1, but make sure whatever you buy is capable to support 7.1. That way, you can easily just get 2 more speaker if needed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xmen, thank you so much for input, very much appreciated. I didn't think about putting the projector low, or even in between the chairs, very good idea. I've never dealt with a projector so I am completely new to this. You think the Onkyo HT sp908 would a good buy, and just not install the last two speakers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts