AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"...They (Loewe AG, Royal Philips Electronics and Carl Zeiss Jena GmbH) have also developed a rear-projection TV that offers innovative solutions for future-oriented display technology. ... Loewe plans to present (Berlin March 27) a prototype of a high-resolution, rear-projection unit."

A Loewe sales rep told our dealer yesterday that this RPTV would be a DLP set and available "well before" Christmas. There was also a handout with a picture of a new plasma set.

I feel like I'm a kid again. Only every night is Christmas Eve, and I go to bed wondering what tomorrow morning will bring. Then, it turns out, it's Christmas Eve all over again.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it will help set standards at a higher level.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Christmas Eve every day? Sounds awfully frustrating to me. Maybe Bill Murray could film it as a sequel to 'Ground Hog Day'!

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Deacon
Christmas Eve every day? Sounds awfully frustrating to me. Maybe Bill Murray could film it as a sequel to 'Ground Hog Day'!
Bill would probably insist on playing me.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yeah, a DLP made of platinum............oh, it's not.............it just costs as much. Huh. :)

I would love to own one of these tv's and as soon as I win the lottery you can sign me up for a plasma and a DLP!!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I almost bought their 40" direct view. It was one of the best pictures I have ever seen. Period. Then I saw the Samsung DLP 50" that we got for $1,800 less. It was close though. I am quite happy with the Samsung but I can imagine what their DLP is going to look like....

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sales rep also said the set would have a 1080p input capability. If true, how would that work with the current TI DLP chip?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, first of all who knows is the rep was right?

Second of all, it could -- in theory -- accept 1080p and then scale it to the resolution of the DLP chip. Why this would be all that useful is less clear.

Mark

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious about what it will turn out to be. It doesn't sound right to my non-technical brain. Maybe in six months or less there will be more information. It doesn't look like there is much more to find out now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.