AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Does it really make a difference ?
It can - yes. Better uniformity, less / no flaws. Tensioned electric screens that stay tensioned for years. There are lots of reasons to buy better or best.

·
26,161 Posts
The discussion about budgeting just came up in receivers vs speakers. Here's the post from that discussion:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3158342-what-s-bigger-upgrade-receiver-audyssey-better-speakers.html#post59892060

I was starting completely over in buying all of the equipment for a HT (when we sold our house, the new owner's bought the HT equipment as a package with the house)....

When consulting with Shawn Byrne's of Quest Acoustics, he said the two areas to spend more upfront were speakers and screen. Neither will have as many tech advances vs receiver, projector etc.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Absolutely yes. I have gone from budget screen to reference. If you haven't seen them in person with someone who knows what to look for then many people don't know what they are missing. Ignorance is bliss. But once you see the clarity and detail a reference screen brings out from your projector it cannot be unseen. A reference screen enhances performance of even a budget projector. A budget screen degrades the performance of a reference projector. It is that simple.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
A good analogy would be that it's like having your car detailed versus just running it through a car wash.

Yes, it makes a very meaningful difference.

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
951 Posts
I used budget screens - Elite and Silver Ticket - for a dozen years and I thought they looked good, certainly better than a wall. But then I got samples from Stewart and compared and I was forever ruined. Two years ago the price of the Stewart was too rich for my blood so I stuck with a budget screen but after I got my first JVC projector this year I knew it was time to reconsider the Stewart in order to fully reveal the quality of the JVC picture. Happily I discovered that the screen price for my size had fallen by about a grand so it was now in the budget and I’ve been elated with the quality. I could never go back to a budget screen. Everything about the image is improved - brightness, color, contrast, lack of artifacts, transparency and sense of realism (thus better immersion into the film which is what it’s all about).

My advice is to have free samples of the Stewart ST100 and the ST130 G4 sent to you and test for yourself - these are arguably the two best reference screen materials on the planet.

Ross

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used budget screens - Elite and Silver Ticket - for a dozen years and I thought they looked good, certainly better than a wall. But then I got samples from Stewart and compared and I was forever ruined. Two years ago the price of the Stewart was too rich for my blood so I stuck with a budget screen but after I got my first JVC projector this year I knew it was time to reconsider the Stewart in order to fully reveal the quality of the JVC picture. Happily I discovered that the screen price for my size had fallen by about a grand so it was now in the budget and I’ve been elated with the quality. I could never go back to a budget screen. Everything about the image is improved - brightness, color, contrast, lack of artifacts, transparency and sense of realism (thus better immersion into the film which is what it’s all about).

My advice is to have free samples of the Stewart ST100 and the ST130 G4 sent to you and test for yourself - these are arguably the two best reference screen materials on the planet.

Ross

Thank you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went from elite 1.0 white to Stewart st130. It was a noticable upgraded and we are very happy. The image is now brighter , blacks were better in my space and the image was sharper (1080p and 4k).

The room, screen and projector all play a part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts