AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "home media" storage drive on my home network that's DLNA compliant.

I would like to stream music & video from it to a TV (movies) and receiver (music & video). I suppose Netflix would be a nice to have, but I already have a Wii that can do that.

I think I need a new Blu-Ray player with DLNA to do that, however, I don't necessarily need a new Blu-Ray player at the moment. I have a Panasonic BD35 right now, but it seems that it can't do that streaming stuff. But, what I DO need, regardless, is a new home theatre receiver.

Is a Blu-Ray player the right widget for what I need, or should I be looking at other options?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dave,

There are a lot of options out there:

Instead of replacing your blu-ray player there's lots of other options. Playstation 3 contains a DLNA client as does the new GoogleTV. There are a number of streaming boxes out there that will handle it. There was some speculation that the Roku would do it via a upcoming software update but it hasn't happened yet.

There are also a number of dlna compliant receivers out there as well. On the DLNA site there is a extensive database of DLNA compliant devices.

http://www.dlna.org/products/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I already have a PS3 and it plays that role in the basement (and my son plays the PS3 in the basement as well). Need the same features on the main level.

I'll check out that DLNA site

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
At this point I would NEVER consider a Blu Ray player as a DLNA streamer. It's much better to get something designed to do that. I bought a Sony Blu Ray with that in mind and at first it failed miserably and now after a lot of work on my part it works 80-90% of the time. From what I've read my experience is not out of the ordinary with other BR players. I picked up a WD Live for $50 and all my trouble were solved.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Matt.

I was wandering around Best Buy the other day and the kid there mentioned something about some WD Live thing for $130 or so that could stream DLNA. He then said that if I'm going to spend THAT much, I might as well spend a little more and get a Blu Ray player that can do everything and more (i.e. play discs).

Time to do more reading/learning.... as if the receiver side wasn't enough to learn! (my current is a 20+ yr olf JVC RX-8V)

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
There are several versions of the WD box out there. Newegg runs deal on them from time to time. All my BR players have Netflix built in so I oped for the WD Live that is a bit cheaper. It plays anything I throw at it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
While most new Blu-Ray players have some sort of DLNA compatibility, the degree to which its useful varies. Ala... I just picked up a Sony S570 only to find that it only plays certain types of files from my server. I dont want to have to convert every file I have to a particular file type... so its not really that useful to me.

there are dedicated streamer client boxes that will handle just about any file type you throw at them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts