Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so confused...

I'm looking to get a new TV, and I've been reading this and other forums for the last two weeks and I still don't know what TV to get.

My favorite at this point is the Panasonic DLP. I would go Samsung, but there's that game lag issues that Samsung DLP's are notorious for. My problem with the Panasonic DLP is that it only comes in a 50" and 60" size. Does anyone know if there will be a 40" out anytime in near future?

As an alternative, I've decided on the new Sony 3LCD rear projection KDF-E42A10. Does anyone know of any issues I should be aware of with this TV?

I know that every TV has its own problems...Plasma with burn in, LCD with price, DLP with color wheel, rear projection LCD with the screen door (grainy) image. Even individual manufacturers have issues, as evidenced by the Samsung DLP.

Does anyone have answers to my two questions or have any other input for me?

My TV will be used for occasional console (PS2/Gamecube) gaming, more frequent PC gaming and internet, and of course regular TV.

Thanks for any comments or advice you may have.

- John

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Do you have specific size constraints? Entertainment center only so large, etc? Just wondering why you wouldn't consider a 50". Even though they look huge once you get them home, you get used to it. I thought my 50" was gigantic, but within a few weeks I was wondering if I should have purchased a 60" instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not really a size constraint.

Mainly, my couch is not that far away from my wall unit (maybe 10 feet), and so I thought a 40+" would be good and that something in the 50's would be too large.

My wall unit will fit up to a 55" TV, I believe.

And hah! I like your signature.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanbalfrek
No, its not really a size constraint.

Mainly, my couch is not that far away from my wall unit (maybe 10 feet), and so I thought a 40+" would be good and that something in the 50's would be too large.
I sit between 7-9' from my 50" & it looks great. My next set will definitely be larger though, probably 55"-60". I'm not saying you won't enjoy something in the 40" range, but that at your seating distance, you would seriously benefit from something in the 50" range.

This may sound totally stupid, but a friend of mine took a different approach to the size issue. He went out & narrowed down his choices for a new tv to about 3 different sets. He took in a roll of thin construction-type paper and basically just made a quick outline of the corners of the set, labelling each one by display. He took that home, drew lines (basically connecting the dots), and he had one big piece of paper with all tv choices, by size. It was easy for him to decide on a size once he did that. You may look like a fool for a few minutes in the store, but it may seriously help your decision process.

Quote:
And hah! I like your signature.
A friend of mine uses that for all his email. I saw it & had to have it. It's rare when statements are so true, especially with sigs. I'm not even a fan of sigs whatsoever because they are always so full of it, so to speak. AkaStp noticed that it was new right off the bat, which proves to me he's pretty observant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AkaStp:

Any particular reason you are recommending the Mits and Panny rear LCDs over Sony?

I went to get a quote for the Sony 42 A10 and it was pretty persuasive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.