AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much debate, ive finally decided to add either another sub to my setup or buy a new one completely.

Here is my setup

Receiver:

Denon 1909 receiver

Speakers:

Infinity RS10 tower speakers with built in powered woofers.

JBL csc55 center speaker

JBL csb5 rear surrounds

Subwoofer:

JBL L8400p 12 inch 600 watt sub

Room:

12x14 with 9 foot high ceiling

Now, i enjoy the l8400, and for $300, it was a great bargain for a sub, but now i feel it is lacking. I dont lack any upper end response considering my speakers have powered woofers along with the l8400, but im just not getting that chest thumping punch im looking for.

My question is what sub would be appropriate for my room. I mainly play games and watch movies. More gaming with emphasis on first person shooters and rpgs. Not sure about budget, but i dont really want to break the bank, 1000 perhaps more.

I've been looking at either adding another jbl l8400 since i can get one for 300, or i suppose i can buy a whole new sub. Been looking at SVS but im curious about what you guys think would go well in my room. I dont want my sub to completely overpower my speakers and all i hear is boom. much help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, ive been looking into buying an svs pb13 ultra, but my placement is limited. The pic below shows where my current subwoofer is, and pretty much where the pb13 ultra will go if i get one. If i get a second l8400, it'll be placed next to the right tower.

Now, i measured out how close i would be to the pb13 from my seating position, which is where i took the picture. The distance is about 5 feet, think thats a little too close and would a different smaller sub be better, or the pb13 is just fine?

·
Registered
261 Posts
if you got the money go for it.. If you move to a bigger place you will have it so there would be no need to upgrade later on.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Maybe you can sell your L8400 and add the money to purchasing the PB13-Ultra?

As for the subwoofer overpowering the other speakers, the Audyssey on your 1909 should be able to calibrate things for you. Otherwise, go for the ol' trusty RadioShack SPL meter that most people use.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15530562

Maybe you can sell your L8400 and add the money to purchasing the PB13-Ultra?

As for the subwoofer overpowering the other speakers, the Audyssey on your 1909 should be able to calibrate things for you. Otherwise, go for the ol' trusty RadioShack SPL meter that most people use.

Yeah, was pretty much thinking of that. No need to keep another sub in that small room if i have a pb13. I suppose it's time to craigslist the l8400.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, so being about 5 feet from the pb13 on the left with it facing me wont be bad right? (i dont want the lady to freak out or to be overwhelmed with bass in a bad way)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally pulled the trigger on the pb13. I cant wait for it to get here, i think my tiny room will shake to pieces.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I look at that room and start chuckling. That is a bedroom and I assume you live with your parents and are fairly young. (big assumptions on my part) But when I was still at home I barely had anough money for gas, and you are putting a system in your bedroom?

My times have changed

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

I am sure you will be literally blown away.

That is one very capable subwoofer even in a room several times as large.

BTW, no such thing as overkill here.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'm surprised with your experience with the L8400. I lived with one for a while in a room larger than yours and it was always up to the task. Good luck with the SVS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat /forum/post/15567901

I look at that room and start chuckling. That is a bedroom and I assume you live with your parents and are fairly young. (big assumptions on my part) But when I was still at home I barely had anough money for gas, and you are putting a system in your bedroom?

My times have changed

Heh, well i certainly do live with my parents and i am fairly young, 22 which still makes me a kid. I work a good amount of hours next to school, full time school and part time work (almost full time). I suppose times have changed, but ive always had expensive hobbies which i fund through lots of work, and great wages and not paying rent. I can say that AV hasnt been nearly as expensive as cars have been though as of yet...=)

Yeah, the l8400 was pretty great, but it was always more of a music sub, just couldnt handle movies well (would make scratching noises when pushed really hard, probably voice coil rubbing) and i calibrated it with audyssey at -1 lvl. Band of Brothers and the bastogne episode finally pushed me over the edge to buy the PB13. Thanks for all the replies guys =)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo /forum/post/15567815

I finally pulled the trigger on the pb13. I cant wait for it to get here, i think my tiny room will shake to pieces.

Congrats! Let us know how it turns out when you get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts