AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, I'm new here, so please forgive my ignorance.

My local Charter affliliate informed me today that they do not support the TVGuide Onscreen system that both my Toshiba HD set and my brand-new Phillips 720 DVR use. It's no big deal to me for the TV, since Charter has a basic built-in guide as it is, but how much will not having access to that service affect the functionality of my Phillips 720?

Just to clarify, I haven't even opened the box on the 720 yet (it's a gift), and I'm wondering if I should even bother setting it up? I don't see myself recording a whole helluva lot of television as it is, and since it can't record any hi-def stuff in anything higher than 480i, and I can't use the TVGuide to record SD signals in advance, I'm not even sure I'd want to set it up.

I mean, one of the reasons I went Hi-Def in the first place (besides gaming) was to be able to watch football and tv shows like Lost in high definition. Why would I want to record them in 480i? Seems like a step backwards.

Again, I'm new to hi-def in general and to DVRs period, so any recommendations would be most helpful.

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Well, I would have likely resonded, but with an attitude like that, never mind. Ever hear of "patience is a virtue"? It's not wise to ask for help and then chastize the very persons you are asking just because they aren't eagerly waiting by their computer at your disposal.

There is a certain amount of ettiquette that should be employed in any situation, and you certainly missed it. Forum members do not owe you an answer, and any information that they share with you is a privilege and should be honored as such with gratitude and respect.

If your second comment was made in jest, please accompany any future such posts with the icons below, so that members will be certain of the spirit of the post.

;) :D :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer
Gee, thanks guys.
also this make is not as popular as some of the other makes, you don't see very many posts on it (you may have noticed if you bothered to browse the forum) so it may take a few days for someone that has one to see it and comment on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.