AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here, and have spent the last few hours reading up through various discussions. What a great informational community!

I'm looking to purchase a TV through one of the fantastic deals at Sears, but have spent countless hours trying to decide which one to purchase. I've finally narrowed it down to the following:

1. LG 42PQ30 (42" 720p Plasma) ~$480

2. LG 42LH30 (42" 1080p LCD) ~$590

(prices include all cashback/rebates/etc)

I'd LOVE to save the $110 on the Plasma. I even went to the store to compare both, but they had a lousy SD signal being displayed on these models! I almost decided on the Plasma, but then I read the Master thread here about Image Retention/Burn-in , and it's scared me. So I thought I'd ask the experts here about your opinion!

I currently own a Sharp 32" 720p LCD. I'm looking to replace it with this set.
  1. My main use for the TV is playing PS3 (through HDMI). On average, we'll play for about 2-3 hours at a time, 4-5 days a week.
  2. In terms of watching TV, I'd say it's used for about 2 hours a day, for an SD broadcast through satellite (international channels for which HD is not available). These channels usually have some kind of a scrolling ticker at the bottom of the screen, as well as their logo in the corner.
  3. It's basically never used for DVDs/BluRays. I only get local channels in HD (through antenna) and barely watch them.

As you can see, we don't use the TV THAT much. As I said, I'd LOVE to save the $110! I figure that way, when new technology comes out, I could sell this one off and get decent money (since I got it at such a bargain). However, based on my usage, I am now worried about the IR/Burn-in issue. Oh, and I've also got 3 others at home who are not going to want to worry about being extra careful with the TV. Is IR/Burn-in really a problem with today's Plasmas???

What would you recommend?

Thank you SO much!!! I've spent over 24 hours stressing over this, so any and all advice would be VERY VERY appreciated!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd never buy an lcd if a plasma is available in the size. LCD does so much wrong that you will never see the intended image unless you sit directly in front of the screen.

That being said, the plasma is 720p and the lcd is 1080p. What is you viewing distance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, with the 32", we have to sit pretty close to play games on the PS3, so it's been about 4-6 feet. Once we have the bigger screen, we'll be able to actually sit on the couches, which are about 8-10 feet away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, please let me know if I posted this in the wrong forum. I'm going crazy thinking about this decision 24/7! Obsessive compulsive anyone??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts