AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading for a few weeks now about the plasmas, and I have seen many great reviews. I really want a plasma to be right for me, but I've got a few questions I haven't seen answers to and a few other concerns I have seen the answers too, which I didn't like. Currently, I have a 32" Panasonic Tau..non HD and I like it. It is a bit small for my room, but it works well. My main tv source is DTV run through an original SA Tivo. I have an Integra 6.2 series 6 disc DVD player which doesn't get used much right now. The TV is stuffed in the corner of the room for lack of a better place to put it. The room is 11x17'ish. I have a wood fireplace centered on the 11' wide wall. I have read the threads regarding plasmas and fireplaces, so I am aware of that dilema. I do use the fireplace, but in the past, I have checked the bricks and they have not been real warm after a day long fire.

Ok, so thats my scenario. Now for some questions.

After reading, I have fallen in love with the 42" Panny Commercial ED. I don't care about the internal tuner or speakers. Currently, I run all of my sound and video switching through my Integra 6.2 receiver, with the exception of the DVD player. That is Component direct to the TV. I've got a good option to get either the Panny, the Vizio P4 or the Maxx 42".

This will be used as a daily tv...turned on at 7:30ish AM and left on for the most part till 10:00 at night. That might get cut down some soon, but for now that is what we do. The room is very bright. The outside wall is a good part glass and even with the light filtering blinds, it is still bright. On extremely bright days, the Tau can be hard to see from a distance. I don't plan on hooking up a PC to it, so that is not an issue. I don't fully understand the differences in the resolutions and inputs, but I'm not too concerned about that ( I don't think). I've also read about what seems like constantly adjusting PQ for colors and brightness. Is that a normal occurance or is that just in the beginning. I want to turn on, sit down and watch.

How well do the plasmas do in bright rooms??

Are they meant for daily use?

Do they require alot of maintenance or adjustments?

My reasons for wanting a plasma in no particular order.......

--Space, size and location

--Shock and Awe--none of my friends or family have one :D

--I like toys

--Space, size and location

--It'll drive my Father in law crazy, cause now my MIL will have to buy one :D

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

·
23,032 Posts
Make sure you see a plasma with SD DirecTV and Tivo before you

buy. Your 32" CRT may look better. I believe 32" is the "sweet spot"

for DirecTV compression wrt size vs. PQ. Analog displays also tend

to smooth out some of the compression artifacts. If you are satisfied

with the PQ, the plasma should work out fine. Plasmas probably

require the least "maintenance" than other displays except maybe

LCD flat panels. And this in only in the case of going on vacation and

leaving CNN on the display for a few days or so, i.e. remote chance

of burn-in vs no chance of burn-in. Or in oher words: You snooze, you

(may) lose. :)

larry

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Take a look at the picture of my setup in this thread . I think a plasma looks great mounted in the corner, and as you can see, my room is very bright. (Still no drapes or blinds.) My bay window points SW so I get a lot of sunlight. My 433CMX still looks fine, even when the sun is pouring in!

I had 9 friends over for some volleyball at my place on Saturday. They were all out on the deck eating (we were done playing), and I said 'there's a show on Glacier National Park on in high definition right now.' They all spent the next hour crammed into my living room. I had to clean up the drool when they left.;)

All your reasons for wanting one are valid, but you forgot:

HD on a plasma is a mind-altering experience.

[Make sure you budget for an HD DirecTV receiver. Can you get HD OTA where you are? Check AntennaWeb to find out.]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJanky
Could you post a link for the bright room conditions thread? I can't find it for some reason.
Here you go...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300797

I don't have the budget for a HD set :mad: unfortunately. I am fighting my wife and my bank account for the ED model. I burried myself a long time ago by saying that I don't like TV and I never really watched it. I found out now that the reason I never liked tv is I always had cheap tv's and they were not enjoyable to watch. The Tau that I have now has changed my attitude towards TV, but now my wife doesn't want to hear it. We have agreed that it would be a perfect addition to our room, but the min 5-6k on a TV is a bit hard to swallow. For what I'd be using it for, it would be a TV.

djs...that is a nice setup you have. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do something like that. My corner is an inside corner and there is a window within 2 1/2 feet from the corner of the wall. I'll try to take a pic of what I've got now. Hopefully before the end of the year, we are going to re-do the whole room. I'll post a pic and would be willing to listen to suggestions on setup and design of the room....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK..here is a pic of the room right now. We are planning on making some major changes to the room shortly. I am planning on raising the floor about 6"-7". The fireplace wall is going to be covered with wood, bookcases on both sides of the fireplace and a mantle in the middle. I want to put the plasma above the mantle. The furniture is gone, and we are looking into possibly Lane HT seating, but not to sure yet. We have little kids still, and I don't know if leather is a smart thing for us to buy. I don't really have another option for TV placement other than the fireplace wall somewhere. The picture was taken from the kitchen, but the whole room width is open, so no room for a TV on that side. The fireplace is actually an arched opening, and I am considering a custom door set to match the arch. My surround speakers will be moving to a new location where ever we decide our seating to be. Does anyone see a different place to locate a TV or any other room suggestions??

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by green
I don't have the budget for a HD set :mad:...
Pretty much everyone with an ED set reports that HD still looks great on it. So don't use that as an excuse to not get an HD receiver (or cable box)!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
Pretty much everyone with an ED set reports that HD still looks great on it. So don't use that as an excuse to not get an HD receiver (or cable box)!
Well that is good news. I can switch to HD in the future if needed.

adb...thanks... Unfortunately, that fireplace will get used. I don't build scorchers in it, but I do like looking out the glass doors at the snow with a nice fire going. That room also gets very cold in the winter, so I need the additional heat. I am planning on covering the brick with an insulation board and then finishing the walls with wood. This should help with some of the coldness in the room.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adb
Nice room. Looks to me like the only logical place for a 42" set is above the fireplace--and then don't use the fireplace.
Not true adb,

I am a custom installer and have mounted more plasmas than you can believe over fireplaces (woodburning and gas) and not one has had a problem. The first one was about 2-1/2 years ago and it still has no problems. A fireplace that is in code will not produce enough heat in that area to damage the display.

You can see some pics here. The two bottom pics has a marble wall that kinda looks like his. We custom made a faux marble wiremold for it (Second from bottom) http://www.geocities.com/stevemac99/plasmas.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.