AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of finishing my mancave/theater/bar in my basement.
I have windows in the next room which will be connected by a large double door, but outdoor light control shouldnt be a problem.

It will be used for watching movies and sports. 60/40
I will have no problem making it dark for movies, but for sports, super bowl parties,etc, i will need some light.

I already have an 82" Mit dlp, but would love to go bigger.
In your opinions, would it work/be worth it to ditch the dlp if you spend a good deal of time watching in less than ideal light?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yes. Go with the projector. I do 16:9 169inches and movies, sports and TV are great even with the lights on and the sliding glass door open in the afternoon (sun is on the other side of the house). Photo left to right: door open and lights on, door closed and light on in the back of the room, lights off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you're ready to invest some money and get things right then it might make sense for you to invest in an optical screen. Establish if there are any Draper Screen dealers in your area and go and have a look at the Draper ReAct 3 screen (that is what it is called in Europe but it has a different name in the USA). It is an optical projection screen and designed to provide an excellent image in a room with some ambient light. Such screens do require the use of a brighter projector but your current dlp may work just fine. You could invest in a reasonably priced bright Optoma projector or Epson projector that would work very nicely with such a screen. There are other optical screen solutions out there but they are expensive so it is all about the budget and how much you're willing to spend. However, the ReAct 3 is a nice screen and probably ideal for your situation and needs. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys!
And thanks for the pics. Its nice to actually see the different conditions.
Can this be accomplished without spending big $$$$ ?
benq1070 or similar work for me or would I need a stronger projector?
What can i expect to spend for a good screen?
I dont mind using "last years" models, but I dont want junk either.
Im all about bang for the buck.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
thanks for the input guys!
And thanks for the pics. Its nice to actually see the different conditions.
Can this be accomplished without spending big $$$$ ?
benq1070 or similar work for me or would I need a stronger projector?
What can i expect to spend for a good screen?
I dont mind using "last years" models, but I dont want junk either.
Im all about bang for the buck.
If this is true, then you do not need a fancy screen.

"I will have no problem making it dark for movies, but for sports, super bowl parties,etc, i will need some light."

A simple matte white screen up to 160" diagonal will be fine in those conditions with a W1070. On my 122" screen, my W1070 is almost too bright in some scenes if the room is completely dark. I generally leave light on over my seats. Just make sure your lights are all "spot" bulbs rather than "flood" and don't shine at the screen itself and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I use the W1070 in an unfinished basement. Since this question comes up regularly... I made a post to show what it looks like, and it really is quite watchable with poorly controlled lights on.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...usd-msrp/1720730-w1070-lights-161-screen.html

I also have some photos here of an older projector with better lights (directional) on in a room...

http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

If you have a room you can reasonably control lighting in, and what lights you want on, you put on dimmers and can control the direction of, you can maintain fairly spectacular results at 120"+ in size with a model like the W1070.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
A projector is all about "bang for your buck" vs a TV. After getting a 70 inch TV and realizing I wanted bigger in order to sell the wife I went with a inexpensive DLP SVGA 800x600 projector as an experiment. (picture of the 70 inch vs the SVGA in my family room) A few weeks later I got a 1080p and gave the wife the 70 inch which we only use while cooking or eating now. Keep in mind the photo represents the is the lowest quality projector image out there in terms of pixels.

Post a picture of your room and what your budget is. I am a fan of the entry level 1080p projectors but it depends on your room and budget. The BenQ W1070 should work for your application and provide an excellent image. Just remember you lose flexibility so check the throw distance calculator for the projector.

Another trick is to try the projector on the wall to see what size works for you before getting a screen and realizing it is too small. I jumped from 100 to 120 to 150 to 169 inches, but since I painted the wall/screen, I only had to repaint to go up in size.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Im in the process of finishing my mancave/theater/bar in my basement.
I have windows in the next room which will be connected by a large double door, but outdoor light control shouldnt be a problem.

It will be used for watching movies and sports. 60/40
I will have no problem making it dark for movies, but for sports, super bowl parties,etc, i will need some light.

I already have an 82" Mit dlp, but would love to go bigger.
In your opinions, would it work/be worth it to ditch the dlp if you spend a good deal of time watching in less than ideal light?
Go for it man. I bought a projector in 2009 and its one of the best audio/video gear purchased ever. I started with a 92" screen and now 120". Waiting for the projector the die so I can upgrade to my second projector:D but the picture on the epson 6500 still looks good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a good Plasma 60" (Pioneer) TV, but I prefer to watch movies and sports on my new projector (BenQ HT1075). This project is amazing. Most of friends are surprise that a projector can have an image that good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post a picture of your room and what your budget is. I am a fan of the entry level 1080p projectors but it depends on your room and budget. The BenQ W1070 should work for your application and provide an excellent image. Just remember you lose flexibility so check the throw distance calculator for the projector.
Pics are in the afternoon on a sunny day. If you look at the blue prints, the tv is at the line to the right, with the upper bump out being a bar area. I thought this layout would flow better for entertaining, plus, no one would have to walk infront of the projector to go to the bar. Is having the door directly behind the viewer bad? I will be doing some rebuilding of the space for sound proofing so layout changes may be possible.

Id like to stay around $1500 pj and screen, but if you guys think I need to spend more to make it work, im open to suggestions.

I really appreciate all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Similar situation in my game room and we absolutely love the projector. We keep the bar lights on when we have people over for games and the projector is still plenty bright enough to enjoy.

On movie nights we keep everything completely dark and the picture is great.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
There is no reason in this room not to put in the W1070 and a 133" or so screen and have very good results.

You don't need a fancy screen, a baseline Elite SableFrame or similar will work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Scree...ck-/191560440961?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

But, I would paint the room darker. Walls and ceiling. Your budget will allow for you to hire someone and keep it easy if you want.

Get some directional lights in the room as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no reason in this room not to put in the W1070 and a 133" or so screen and have very good results.

You don't need a fancy screen, a baseline Elite SableFrame or similar will work fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Scree...ck-/191560440961?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

But, I would paint the room darker. Walls and ceiling. Your budget will allow for you to hire someone and keep it easy if you want.

Get some directional lights in the room as well.
Are there any affordable at screens that will give a good picture? diy?

Im definitely going to paint it darker, ceiling fan is going away, and adding can lights. adding a sub ceiling and 3" lower for soundproofing. Ceiling is 8'6" now, so plenty of room. One problem i have with my current layout is that it doesnt lend itself to two rows of the theater seating.
A riser in the middle of the room????
I can always go with theater recliners in the middle and couch along the wall.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Im definitely going to paint it darker, ceiling fan is going away, and adding can lights. adding a sub ceiling and 3" lower for soundproofing. Ceiling is 8'6" now, so plenty of room. One problem i have with my current layout is that it doesnt lend itself to two rows of the theater seating.
A riser in the middle of the room????
I can always go with theater recliners in the middle and couch along the wall.
There's a whole forum on Screens and another on DIY screens, including AT. You've got some heavy reading to do.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If your projector were "table-mounted" a Da-Lite High Power screen fabric would make the projected image quite immune against most ambient light as the embedded glass beads reflect most brightness back to where it came from (i.e. the projection lens and the adjacent audience).

Unfortunately, as I just learned myself today, this exclusive screen fabric is currently unavailable from Da-Lite, supposedly they are working on some kind of successor. :(

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have one of the worst rooms for projectors and reflected light, and I must say after a couple months I don't regret going projector one bit.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
If your projector were "table-mounted" a Da-Lite High Power screen fabric would make the projected image quite immune against most ambient light as the embedded glass beads reflect most brightness back to where it came from (i.e. the projection lens and the adjacent audience).
I'm really interested in seeing the High Power fabric at some point.

People talk in circles about the Black Diamond material, and that's the worst looking screen I have ever seen. More sparkling than the grey Elite screens by far. The entire image shimmers, and it introduces extreme image uniformity issues which you just have to live with.

I'm a skeptic of the 'special' screens at this point and have a hard time swallowing what the HP screens offer, but I like DaLite and would love to see it in action at some point to take a critical eye to it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm really interested in seeing the High Power fabric at some point.

People talk in circles about the Black Diamond material, and that's the worst looking screen I have ever seen. More sparkling than the grey Elite screens by far. The entire image shimmers, and it introduces extreme image uniformity issues which you just have to live with.

I'm a skeptic of the 'special' screens at this point and have a hard time swallowing what the HP screens offer, but I like DaLite and would love to see it in action at some point to take a critical eye to it.
The Black Diamond 1.4 is not bad at all and I don't get any sparkling on it, I guess they have been upgrading their screen material to alleviate such problems. Another nice screen that is popular in Europe is the ReAct 3 screen by Draper. It carries a different name in the USA but one can always confirm by calling Draper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.