AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to help my sister in-law utilize the streaming features of her new TV/Tivo Premiere. The Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit seems like a good solution for her. My question is whether she needs a router or if the powerline adapter can be connected directly to her DSL modem. Since she has a non-networked computer, she doesn't own a router. Thanks!

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmramos /forum/post/19636929

Hi all. I'm trying to help my sister in-law utilize the streaming features of her new TV/Tivo Premiere. The Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit seems like a good solution for her. My question is whether she needs a router or if the powerline adapter can be connected directly to her DSL modem. Since she has a non-networked computer, she doesn't own a router. Thanks!

It depends. Now she would have a network of two devices.

Some IPSs include up to 5 TCP/IP addresses. If that's the case and she doesn't need her computer to talk to Tivo then there is no need in a router.

Otherwise she needs a dedicated router or she has to run DHCP server on her computer and keep it on all the time.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmramos /forum/post/19636929

My question is whether she needs a router or if the powerline adapter can be connected directly to her DSL modem. Since she has a non-networked computer, she doesn't own a router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter /forum/post/19656320

It depends. Now she would have a network of two devices.

Some IPSs include up to 5 TCP/IP addresses. If that's the case and she doesn't need her computer to talk to Tivo then there is no need in a router.

Otherwise she needs a dedicated router or she has to run DHCP server on her computer and keep it on all the time.

Hmm, if the OP's question is taken at face value that the computer will not be on the network but only the Tivo will be on the network, no router is required. If both will actually be on the network (which seems more likely after all), then ptsenter is correct that multiple TCP/IP addresses would need to be provided either by a router, the ISP or the networked computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.