AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For this discussion, I would like to define a reference scale of 1 to 10 of improved picture quality between the three input connections/sources. Assume a G15 DILA and a Faroudja (for analog inputs) or one of the Digital input scalers. Compsite Video picture quality would be defined at 1, Svideo would be at 5, Component Video would be at 10. My recent experience with a DVHS Dtheater HDTV Component would rate the picture at 50 on the same scale.

On this scale, could any one comment on the improvement of the picture The improvement from component signal Vs SDI or DVI inputs to the scaler? Would it be at 12 or 15 points? More? What if the scaler had a SDI/DVI output and the projector has a digital input (does the DILA 150 have it?).

Just trying to understand the perceptions/improvements while using the digital inputs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hard to quantify by numbers but usimg your scale, component thruogh a Leeza set for 1280 X 720 into a Runco 980 Ultra is a 10, than SDI is a 20. DVD player Panasonic RP-91 with Immersive SDI mod. To put it simply the difference is easily seen. You probably will never use the component hook up again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Although I've only had my Leeza for a day I did check out the difference between component and SDI. I agree that it is as big a jump as going from composite to component. 20.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume that there are no upgrade paths for the Faroudja DILA NR to get a SDI or a DVI input.

Frankly, I was under the assumption that with a Faroudja DILA NR, a Marquee 9500lc I thought I was already at the limit of the resolution that can be achieved from a DVD.

A 20 on the preceding scale implies significant improvement. My Faroudja is not even 1 year old and it is already outdated! So goes progress I guess!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It's not resolution that is improved with the digital connection, it's clarity of the signal resulting from fewer d/a and a/d conversions. Resolution is unaffected. That's what results in the improvement; better clarity, fewer artifacts and noise, better color saturation. I've seen it as well, side by side, and the difference on DVD is obvious. I've heard (but haven't seen) that the difference on other devices (i.e., an SDI-equipped DirecTivo) is not as significant, more like a 10 to 13-15 because of the poor quality of incoming compressed satellite signals in the first instance.)

The Faroudja is not outdated. It still has superb deinterlacing, especially on video sources. On a compressed satellite feed of a sporting event, for example, through an SDI DirecTivo, you might subjectively prefer the image from the Faroudja to the same image from the Leeza.

Also, the maximum benefit is achieved if the digital connection goes all the way to a digital display.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frankly, I was happy enough with my G10 without a Scaler. I read on the forum about adding scalers and I thought I should try it.

When I first added a Focus's Quadscan scaler, I thought the picture improved but not by much. I could still live without a scaler. Subsequently, I bought a 9" CRT and the Faroudja DILA NR for the CRT. Since I had the scaler anyway, I started using it with the G10 also. I did not do much of comparision on the G10 with and without the Faroudja.

I had the G10 calibrated/gamma corrected etc.

All of this tweaking, including adding the Faroujda to G10 may have improve the picture from an 8 to a 10 (just a guess). I began to think that I had reached the limits of the display abilities of the DILA...

And then I saw the DTheater picture on the DILA. Wow! It was superlative! Only then did I realize the true capabilities of the DILA. The picture was a 50 on the same scale.

It is because of that experience, I began to wonder if further "tweaking" like the SDI input etc. for the usual NTSC digital signal source is actually worth the trouble. I thought that the SDI input to the scaler would give a 12 or 13 grade picture. How ever, the score of 20 does imply significant improvement. It is interesting to know.

Again, is there a possibility to add an SDI input to a Faroudja? I sincerely doubt it but who knows! There are some pretty smart people around!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
No possibility of adding SDI to the FNR, unless you want to take it apart and make your own scaler from the parts. Too bad.

Cheers.

·
Banned
959 Posts
i have seen and sdi machine on a 9500lc with an old mike p mod. the best there is. i don't know who tweaked your p.j., but it if it wasn't done by one of the best, i would put my money there first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen a Pioneer 737 SDI -> DUNE SDI (Input 3 of the Dune) , and the same equipment connected with the Component link (Input 4 of the Dune). The projector was a "silent ;-)" Sony 1292 (only 300 hours on the tubes) connected via RGBHV and the resolution was line tripling PAL 100Hz, the DVD was "Verticl Limit" Z2. I was disapointed while i found the component way better as the SDI !?!?! The difference was more smothness and a lack of color saturation with the SDI !!!

If 10 is the quality of the component way, I would only rate the SDI path to 8 ???

PS : The component output of the Pioneer 737 is know for his very good quality ! And I can say You that the Component Image was Awsome !!!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by James Bond
i have seen and sdi machine on a 9500lc with an old mike p mod. the best there is. i don't know who tweaked your p.j., but it if it wasn't done by one of the best, i would put my money there first.
007:

You may have forgotten but you were kind enough to make suggestions during the mounting process of my 9500 last year. I thknk you even sent me some example pictures. Thanks!

I am not suggesting that I am unhappy with the 9500lc. It works perfectly. It was set up by William Phelps. Perhaps you know of William? He used do the set up Videkron CRTs at their shows. He is now setting up the G90s for Sony shows I think. He did a great job setting up my 9500, the Faroudja and also calibrated my G10 DILA. He spent nearly 3 days in my house to set up both the projectors. I would recommend him very highly for anyone with a DILA or for a CRT set up. He knows every little tweak for the 9500. He literally spent hours fine turing the correction tables on the DILA.

For those of you buying the DILA 150, does it need after market gamma correction? I realize that it was supposed to come preset from the factory. Perhaps you may want to inquire whether or not it needs further tweaking and if it does, William is your man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.