AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colin Duwe on CNET, who reviewed the Samsung TSL2795HF, a 27 inch HDTV, says, "If you sit 6 feet back from your PC's monitor, it becomes difficult to read the text on the screen; the same rule applies when you want to see all the fabulous detail in an HDTV picture. Sit too far back and it becomes difficult to see the difference in resolution between standard and high definition. A reasonable rule of thumb is that you should sit at a distance equal to about three or four times the height of the screen. With a 16.5-inch-high screen like the TSL2795HF's, you should be sitting about 5.5 feet away--now what would your mother say if she saw you sitting that close?"

So my question is: If I don't want a big honking TV, (20 inches is fine with me), Is it worth the extra money to spend on a high resolution monitor, if I will not be able to tell the difference at "normal" viewing distances of, what 10 feet ?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think you should watch a 10' tv from 20" inches ;).

I'd say it's .....well.... hard to say....I think you should buy a front projector :D.

Check out the CRT Projectors section, lots of good advice :).

·
Registered
180 Posts
there are "minimum viewing" guidelines in various publications and other places...i have one that i use that was published in one of my magazines that actually works out well...obviously you're gonna want to sit closer to a 46" than a 73 inch or you will have problems with scan lines and artifacts and grain...so you don't want to sit WITHIN that viewing distance and outside of it too far either or you will LOSE that definition...there is a for real formula that i don't know...has something to do with screen size and stuff...but it's also probably gonna be related to what format you are watching too...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
For a 48" TV you should be 16' back. Thats all I remember from the 'guidelines' that were included when my Mom got her RPTV a few years ago.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sheesh. You would be better off spending that money on a somewhat bigger display. 27 inches? *shakes head*

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
THe guidelines are completly diffrent for HDTV sets and 4:3 SDTV sets. HDTV and any high resolution device powered with a good upscaler the ratio is something like 1.5-2.5 width on widescreen and something like 3-5x width for 4:3 SD viweing.

You want to be far enough away that scanlines/screendoow is not noticible, but close enough that details stand out.

Most inexpensive solutions ( including RPTV HDTV sets ) cannot actually resolve HDTV anyways. If you want one that might be able to you would have to be looking at high end sets with the 8 or 9" CRTs. Remeber that almost ANY HDTV unit fed HDTV will look better than a DVD, many of them will look stunning over a DVD in terms of detail.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have my eye on a nice Philips 34" HD set, but its still way to much for me :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.