AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, I have read the postings a lot in the past but just joined today. I hope this is the right spot for this post.

The more I read here and on vendor sites and of course Googling about video stabilizers the more confused I seem to get. I think ah, I have made a decision and then I read something and I start the search process all over again. Maybe you wonderful people here can help me solve the problem once and for all.

I have a fair amount of video tapes that I want to transfer to DVD. I also have shows I want to copy to DVD from my HR21 by S-video. Also it would be nice to make backup copies of DVDs that I have and use them instead of the original.

I thought I had everything figured out. The video was on the screen, the sound good... I was going to copy the old 50's series Cheyenne to DVD on my Sony/VHS Recorder but the copy restriction message came up, how frustrating.

I recorded a lot of them and want to archive them so I can watch later and make room for other stuff. I recorded Cheyenne from the Encore Western channel. I suppose I will not be able to copy anything from the HR21. I just got a new HDTV and the HDDVR and nothing is working the same as it did before. I have been doing research and some blame Sony and some blame DirecTV and some Macrovision.

At first I thought the Grex Advanced digital video stabilizer with high quality S-Video support would be good. Then I thought I found it, the Digital Copy Stabilizer and Enhancer DP-5000 is the one, maybe not! Beware of imitators and there is more than one DP-5000. Oh, what to do!

I have a Sony RDR-VXV11 with S-video in and RCA in on the front. I thought I could go from the HR21 S-video out on the back to the S-video in on Sony RDR-VXV11 but it does not work all the time it is hit and miss. I have a Sony KDL-46W4100.

I know you people will help me make a wise decision you have before and I thank you all. Can someone help? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Unfortunately Sony DVDRs are about as prone to CP as any DVDR. It sounds like you need a video filter. You may have seen this thread, if not is should help you.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990948

You'll want to verify if your HR21 is able to send non letter boxed WS over S-video. If so then the Video Filter or Grex should work fine. If not you may want to look into the Apple TV converter which will convert from component to S-video and also remove CP(assuming you can output 480i over component on your HR21).

The Video Filter has the advantage of being able to set the widescreen flag on your DVDs. This is handy if you have any 4:3 TVs or intend on borrowing any to friends who have 4:3 TVs.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I didn't know about imitators but World Imports carries the DP-X7000 which is the newer model than the 5000. They both work or, you can get the filter that jjeff mentioned.

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
The HR21 sends WS just fine, so the apple tv converter isn't necessary. A fairly new and very annoying issue I've run into with directv boxes is that all recordings are now padded by 2 minutes. So I have to use FR mode on every group playback to account for it, unless I want to babysit and edit on the fly to make it fit standard SP mode. I don't think sony has FR mode, so you're stuck editing or using the lower quality recording mode in that case. FWIW, I've never had any CP issues with directv and my panasonic recorder.

·
Registered
783 Posts
No cp problems with my directv hr 22 and phillips 3575. Agree with the sony being a bad actor with spotting cp when there is none.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the information. I just ordered the DP-X700 from World Imports. I feel confident now that I am getting the right device to fix the problem. I will let you know how it works when I receive it.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I want to order this as well, how has it, is it, working for you?

Does it do all as advertised, how is the quality of the recording after it also goes through the DP-X7000?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, or by anyone else using the DP-X7000.

Thanks

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts