AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched My Wife And Kids and According to Jim and the image was pretty awful. It was from the OTA signal from KMBC in Kansas City.

The image was rather soft, and lacking in resolution. Showtime & HBO hdtv feeds are considerably better. In fact, my htpc produces a better picture.

Are these two normally not good hdtv programs, or is this possibly a local broadcast concern, or possible an issue with the Dish 6000 OTA module?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This should probably be in the Local Forum. I watched this in a showroom at a Kansas City AV dealer on 3 different HD displays - a 40" Sony tube, the Sony LCD rear screen and a Mitsubishi 9" CRT rear screen on two different tuners. The Mits was the most revealing, and the noise was definitely film grain. I think it is was the way the shows were lit and shot. I've seen other ABC films on KMBC (Notting Hill and a Bond picture) and they were smooth and clean.

CBS' filmed shows range in quality a lot too. The old film guys shooting these shows seem to have a pathological fear of sharpness.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There seems to be a big difference in the quality of the OTA digital broadcasting equipment available to locals stations. I know that the local NBC came on the air with a great signal on May 1st, yet the local Fox has been tweaking their signal for over a year, and the local CBS digital signal just sucks. The CBS analog signal is better than their digital. Of course, the local ABC is not even broadcasting a digital signal yet. Also, a wide range of power output effects the signal greatly. CBS is broadcasting at very low power to save money. If you are over 30 miles from the tower, you can't get a picture. 90% of their audience is over 30 miles from their tower. They are only meeting the letter of the law on meeting their digital requirements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.