AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used 1 gallon of the Behr meduim gray with about 4 oz of Behr high build satin poly and 4 oz of delta silver metallic for an experiment.I have an Epson 6100 and think the picture looks amazing but,my question is do I need the silver mixed in,will the picture look better without the silver?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/16969215

I used 1 gallon of the Behr meduim gray with about 4 oz of Behr high build satin poly and 4 oz of delta silver metallic for an experiment.I have an Epson 6100 and think the picture looks amazing but,my question is do I need the silver mixed in,will the picture look better without the silver?

I personally cannot see how it could improve going downward in the amount of SM, but it certainly should / would if you added even more SM and Pearl. At this point you have very little SM in ratio to the tinted Behr. High performance DIY Paints employ 10x the amount of SM and 5x the Poly in a gallon sized mix.

You've merely tickled the potential of a painted solution. The 6100 is really doing most of the job, because it's shooting onto a medium Gray surface. The "add ins" are slightly helping reduce any degree of attenuation inherent in the Gray. since they DO help, not detract...eliminating the SM will eliminate the beneficial assist to contrast and gain that it does provide even in such a small amount.

No...your image could only go down in quality...but honestly, I don't thing that with the 6100 you'd be able to see it...unless you examined the difference with a side to side comparison.

At this conjecture, the old "If it ain't broke...." ditty can apply. But I'm betting you have over 1/2 gallon of paint left? If so...and the urge moves you....you can always upgrade the screen by a factor of 3x the "add in's" to Paint volume, and realize a noticeable improvement without going full bore into a intensely "Metallic Infused" screen.

I have though....using the 6100 & 6500, and the results are awesomely stunning.

How about a screenie...or 10?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have half a gallon left and 2oz of silver and an 8 oz can of minwax poly.

How about if I mix 1 quart of medium gray 2 oz of sliver and 4 oz of poly?

Oh and any water?,because I have the upw 1850 which I did not know does not flatten out well until reading about it today.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/16969593

Yes I have half a gallon left and 2oz of silver and an 8 oz can of minwax poly.

How about if I mix 1 quart of medium gray 2 oz of sliver and 4 oz of poly?

Oh and any water?,because I have the upw 1850 which I did not know does not flatten out well until reading about it today.

How about adding ALL the Poly...and 2 x the SM? (4 oz.) You'll still be way under the optimal ratio of silver metallic...and at the right amount volume wise to the 25% Poly levels most commonly suggested...and proven very effective level.

Add another 8 oz pure water (Distilled or Filtered) if the mix still seems thicker than a normal paint. All those amounts will give you a very balanced mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts