AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with service on widescreen TV's from AmericanTV in Southern Wisconsin / Northern Illinois? Do they provide in-home service, or do they have to haul your set to their service dep't? Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alan,

I have dealt with them for years. They are by far the most knowledgeable of all the stores I go to in Milwaukee. Plus they are big supporters of HDTV. Their prices for 3 and 5 year "in you home" service agreements are very reasonable. For my HS10 they charged my around $150 for three years. My brother has used there service department on several occasions and has been very happy. You may want to see the department manager, they know HDTV very well, some of the day to day guys are just slighly better then BB, CC etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I used to work at American in Appleton in the Video Department. If I remember correctly there are different ones that you can get that will offer in home service. You could just call them and they would be happy to tell you the cost for you TV. I think you can buy it up to 30 days after purchase. Every one I talked to was very happy with the service.

Hope this helps

Mike Flanagan

------------------

"If you want an Expensive Hobby, why don't you take up house repair!" ~ The Wife

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't personally have experience with that particular store, but I will tell you a story of what I am going through with the store in Des Moines, IA and their service department.

My fiance and I purchased a Mits WT-46807 HDTV from them at the end of January this year. They didn't happen to have any in stock at the time which was fine, because we had no way to transport it back to our house. We paid $40 extra for shipping which was fine as well. We were told that the TV would be available that next week and that they would notify us when it was available to ship. They notified us the Thursday after the purchase that the set was available to be delivered and was told the only time they can deliver it had to b e on a Thursday. (We live approx 40 mi away from the store, and the truck only comes to that area once a week). To make a long story short, it took 3 weeks to get the TV because we had to work around their schedule and free up a Thursday not knowing what time they would be by. Finally we got the TV and all was forgiven and forgotten, at least I had thought so...

4 weeks ago our 7 month old tv was working perfectly until a green bar flashed along the bottom of the set and then the picture vanished like the set had been turned off. Basic troubleshooting determined that there was nothing I could do myself so we called on American to service our TV (We bought the 3 year extended warranty for this set). Service was prompt, within 2 business days of calling American, we had a technician looking at our TV. He diagnosed the problem as being something with the power supply board and called in to order a new board. He told us it would be a week before he could come back and replace the board. I thought that was reasonable as the board would probably take a week to get here anyway. The next week our technician comes back and replaces the board. When he attemted to turn on the TV he heard a clicking noise in the background which was more than what set had done before, but still no picture. He then explained to us that the Mits. models spread out the power supply over several boards and that he would have to order another one. Again it would be another week. This is where I started to get concerned. We would have to wait another week to see if the experiment would work. I called the technical service call center to see what my options were if this fix would not work. The woman I talked to was very nice and was very understanding. She also couldn't understand why a TV less than a year old would need this much repair. I asked her if there was anyway I could get a replacement set. She told me that the only way she could get replacement issued is if the TV had 3 separate tech calls for it. She did mention that the salesperson also had the power to replace the TV without going through this mess. So I called up my salesperson and told me he would call back that day. Needless to say I didn't hear from him that day. The next day I called back and I got a hold of a manager. He told me that we should wait until the part comes and then decide the issue then. He basically told me that the salesperson does not have any authority to replace a TV and that the technical service woman lied to me. Well, the next week our technician comes back and replaces another board. TV still doesn't work and he has to send it in to Madison, WI for repair and even though the day was a Thursday, we would have to await another week for the the truck to come pick it up. No mention of a replacement or temp. I called the salesperson to ask about our options and he said he would call me back (yea, right!). Another manager calls me up (at least i got a response back) and tells me that he give us a temp when they come pick up the TV. He said my salesperson will call me back to give me info on what I would be getting. That was 4 days ago and I still haven't heard from the salesperson. I will update on Thursday as to the current situation.

Here is the ringer: They told me if I had lived in Des Moines, my service would be next day on practically everything. I guess the moral of this story is, If you purchase big, make sure you live very close to the store to get excellant service.

I know this is my first post and is kind of a rant, but I was going to start a new topic on this before I saw this thread. By the way, I have been reading this forum since early January and I value all the opinions that I have seen. Thanks to you all!

Bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who have replied. I fully expected to hear about some good and some bad experiences. Bill, I am like you in that I live 40 miles from their stores in Madison, and realize that puts a different slant on things. But, even though we have a local Sears store, their HDTV service people come from Madison or Rockford I am told. I am a little gun-shy since I have had two Toshiba HDTV sets go bad in the past two years, and they were purchased from a local store who would not do on-site servicing, even with the extended warranty. My home theater is in the basement, and requires the sets to be hauled up and down stairs as well as loaded and unloaded from the truck. The first one was replaced after a few days of trying to fix it. The second one failed in about a year. They were going to give me a 27" SD set to use as a temporary replacement. I finally negotiated a trade for a 34" wide-screen direct-view. I like the set, but it is too small for a home theater and I miss the RPTV. I plan to put the direct-view in the family room and buy another RPTV for the theater. What to buy and from where is my dilemma.

[This message has been edited by Allen A (edited 09-05-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.