AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently setup my living room and I'm left wondering if I need to invest in some more power for my front speakers. The hardware:

Denon 2112CI receiver

Polk Monitor 70 left & right

Polk CS2 center

Outlaw Audio LFM-EX sub

My Denon is listed at 90 watts per channel, but the Polks seem like they are a little more power hungry than that. (M70 listed at 275 peak and the CS2 is listed at 175) A couple pictures of our living room, in case the layout matters, can be found here and here

The only reason that I think we may need more juice is that I have noticed a need to turn the volume up pretty high in order for us to hear the programs that we're watching. In previous setups, that wasn't necessary, but I'm also new to Denon so I'm not sure if this is standard.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
A comparison of output between two different systems based on relative volume knob position isn't an indication of their relative power.

The real matter is if the system plays clean at the volume you want it to be then you're probably just fine with what you have.

PS: Doesn't hurt anything to turn the knob further than you may be use to as long as it still sounds good.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptoss /forum/post/20859546

Hello,

I've recently setup my living room and I'm left wondering if I need to invest in some more power for my front speakers. The hardware:

Denon 2112CI receiver

Polk Monitor 70 left & right

Polk CS2 center

Outlaw Audio LFM-EX sub

My Denon is listed at 90 watts per channel, but the Polks seem like they are a little more power hungry than that. (M70 listed at 275 peak and the CS2 is listed at 175) A couple pictures of our living room, in case the layout matters, can be found here and here

The only reason that I think we may need more juice is that I have noticed a need to turn the volume up pretty high in order for us to hear the programs that we're watching. In previous setups, that wasn't necessary, but I'm also new to Denon so I'm not sure if this is standard.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you ever hear a true output of 90watts on even an inefficient speaker...you'd probably be deaf. Even loud listening that you do like a loud movie or loud music is probably a couple watts....The volume knob isn't a linear measurement across all amplifiers and is just a relative measurement. I could be wrong, just my measurements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.