AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my component list for my HTPC that I want to hook to my new Panasonic 50LC13 (50" LCD Rear Projection with 1280x720 native resolution). I'm trying to decide between the 9800 and 9600. I do want to play games in addition to normal stuff like watch movies and music visual effects, etc. I understand that the 9800 is much faster but for a resolution of only 1280x720 (that is not all that high) and a TV that wants a refresh rate of 60 would the 9600 be enough? Seems like getting faster hardware that can do faster refresh rates at higher resolutions would be a wast in this case. It's such a big jump in price! I could put the difference toward a capture card. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No thoughts on if a 9600 is fine for gaming, etc. given a TV's resolution and refresh rate?

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I am not a gamer... but you could settle for something in between (performance and $$ wise). How about a 9500(Pro) or 9700? Some people even OC their video cards for better performance... Just an idea...

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Both the 9800 Pro and 9600 Pro are DX9 compliant. From what I've seen, dx9 takes a lot more power than dx8... the new batch of games on the way will benefit greatly with the 9800 (such as Half Life 2 or Doom 3), while with the older dx8 games, the differences between cards won't be as pronounced. Check out some reviews around the web to get an idea of frame rates.

Personally, I see it as issues where you might get 30FPS with the 9600, or 40FPS with the 9800. Neither is particularly good, but I'd with numbers like that, the extra 10FPS will make a significant difference.

Martin.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm running on a 1024x768 screen, and I intend to get a 9800 pro (once half life two is actually delivered). Do not scrimp on the video card if you intend to play games; for the games that exist now, it's overkill, but for the games six months or a year from now, they may be just right.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your probably right. I do want DX9 and the lower power/heat of the 9600/9800 (vs 9500 or 9700). I just wish there was not such a huge jump in price!

·
Registered
571 Posts
me too. which is why I'm waiting for the games I'm gonna play to be released. Deus Ex 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3. And I'm hoping it'll up the pq with the pj from the radeon 7200 I'm using now. Couple with an audigy 2 zs, and for about $350, that's a pretty solid set of upgrades.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I had an ATI 9000 for my HTPC that I use with my HLN507W. It would play any game, including BF1942 with all the goodies turned to 100% and not even a hint of slow down.

Remember, gaming video cards are designed to drive a 1200x1600 monitor and your monitor has half the pixels, so yes, it might be overkill but if you can afford it, no worries.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chris5977
I had an ATI 9000 for my HTPC that I use with my HLN507W. It would play any game, including BF1942 with all the goodies turned to 100% and not even a hint of slow down.

Remember, gaming video cards are designed to drive a 1200x1600 monitor and your monitor has half the pixels, so yes, it might be overkill but if you can afford it, no worries.
Remember: 1200x1600 is 4 times the pixels of 600x800. :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have 9800 Pro hooked up to my Samsung HLN617 via DVI. Tried 9600 Pro as well and 9800 Pro has better PQ (I use VMR9 where video is generated in 3D engine, not overlay hardware - this test through RGB on Panasonic 40" LCD rear projection monitor). I have had 9800 Pro for couple of month now and everything works great.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vpopovic
I have 9800 Pro hooked up to my Samsung HLN617 via DVI. Tried 9600 Pro as well and 9800 Pro has better PQ (I use VMR9 where video is generated in 3D engine, not overlay hardware - this test through RGB on Panasonic 40" LCD rear projection monitor). I have had 9800 Pro for couple of month now and everything works great.
Have you ever done a comparison between a 9700Pro and a 9800Pro? I would like to know if there is any noticeable difference in PQ?

I did a fairly unscientific comparison once between a 9600 and a 9700Pro a while back and found the 9700Pro to be superior. (Unscientific in terms of there were a couple of days in between testing each card and I only looked, not measured, at the image they produced…)

Thanks!

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Axel,

I did not do any kind of comparison between 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro. At first I wanted to save some $$$ and went with 9600 Pro, but than had second thoughts and went for the top dog.

I am not sure if improvement is attributable to more pixel shaders (that is common point in 9700 and 9800 design) or improvement in implementation of all that stuff (newer processing algorithms - that could be more common to 9600 and 9800). Something leads me to believe that 9700 Pro would be closer to 9800 Pro as 9600 pro is completely redesigned chip and board. I tested only VMR9 mode that I use for a while now.

Also, the test was not "scientific". I had both cards and compared them within 10 minutes interwals and did that 2 times. My father who is not much into this stuff was "independent" eye and he acctually did not know what card was in. His conclusion was the same as mine. I did take some screenshoots of Video essentials test patterns, and some scenes from Goldeneye, but the difference was hardly noticable. It is the moving pictures when the difference showed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.