AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can an AVR refurb REALLY more reliable than new?

EDIT: Thanks all - I've bought new :)

I'm a total novice, though I've come a long way in a few days thanks to this forum! I'm getting 2 KEF Q150s for a 2.0 setup and thought I'd get a Denon X1600H to match (+ give me room to grow down the road, and the room correction will be important for me!).

I was going to get it refurbished through an authorized refurb reseller often mentioned on this forum, and they claim:

"When you consider that a factory-renewed Denon product undergoes such close scrutiny for defects and workmanship, you might actually be buying something that is in many ways better than new."

Now, I can also try to get it for $60 more but NEW from a site that acts as an intermediary between buyers and exclusively authorized resellers.

My Question: If I can get a Denon X1600H new vs. refurbished, with the same warranty, for the same price or maybe $60 more, is it worth it? What are the chances that refurbished AVRs are as good as or better, more reliable, and so on? Thanks!

EDIT: Removed names of both retailers because I read "no price or 'where to buy' talk."

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
My Question: f I can get a Denon X1600H new vs. refurbished, with the same warranty, for the same price or maybe $20-40 more, is it worth it? Or are refurbished AVRs REALLY better, more reliable, and so on?
I have purchased both new and refurb units (refurbs from A4L). I doubt that, given both are assembled properly with the same parts, a refurb would ever be "better" than the new unit. They use the same components after all.

The reason I don't have any qualms purchasing a factory refurb unit is that someone has taken the time to go over the unit a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, whatever) time, re-check everything and fix anything assembled incorrectly or replace initially bad components with good.

So, short answer to your question of new vs refurb, warranty the same - No, the refurb would not be better/more reliable IMHO.

·
Registered
660 Posts
you might actually be buying something that is in many ways better than new.

Your title and what they have in their marketing copy are different. Might. That suggests its possible, but they aren't saying it's true nor do they suggest it's ever true.

Your question should be do I need to save a few bucks and how confident am I in personally handling warranty claims if they should arise. If you aren't a person that is comfortable convincing support people your issues are real then maybe don't worry about the warranty aspect.

I know from the cost of the product that you should maybe consider it a one time purchase where you wont reasonably use the warranty. I've had no issues with the retailer you are referencing and have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. If I save 500 bucks its worth it. Saving 40 bucks is not worth it to me. You may feel different.

If you have a Costco membership check their current Denon offerings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your title and what they have in their marketing copy are different. Might. That suggests its possible, but they aren't saying it's true nor do they suggest it's ever true.

Your question should be do I need to save a few bucks and how confident am I in personally handling warranty claims if they should arise. If you aren't a person that is comfortable convincing support people your issues are real then maybe don't worry about the warranty aspect.

I know from the cost of the product that you should maybe consider it a one time purchase where you wont reasonably use the warranty. I've had no issues with the retailer you are referencing and have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. If I save 500 bucks its worth it. Saving 40 bucks is not worth it to me. You may feel different.

If you have a Costco membership check their current Denon offerings.
Thanks - I didn't mean to make the post misleading, I'll try amend the language.

As for the price difference, that's what I'm thinking. I'll see what range I can get for new, without going $100 or so over. Either way there's a 3 year warranty, + my credit card offering 1 year.

Unfortunately no Costco membership, but thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
a refurb may have been used countless hrs and only defective parts fixed.

·
Registered
28,465 Posts
And is the 3 year warranty on the refurb thru the manufacturer or a 3rd party? Maybe 1st year is thru mfr, what about years 2 and 3?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think refurbs are better but I do believe they are roughly the same as new. @torii has a good comment that some of the parts may have been used countless hours but a lot of those parts last for more than countless hours in a device that is well built to begin with. By way of example, the Bryston amps I use have a 20 year warranty. If I were to return one for a full refund within 30 days because of a defective IEC power cord connector then they would have to turn around and sell it as a refurb wherein that part is going to last for hundreds of thousands of hours once replaced and there isn't a single thing wrong with the rest of the unit. Also as an example, I bought a full suite of JBL Studios that were refurbs. They carry the full factory warranty. I saved literally over 50% and they have a full warranty. When I received them I went over every square inch. Not so much as a single scratch anywhere. All of the packaging was brand new, there would be absolutely no way to tell new from refurbs.

All of that being said I say go for it. Save some money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that didn't take long! Got it new for an acceptable bit over refurb price! Stopping there, not sure about that price discussion rule.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
IMO, refurbs are at best as good as new, but may be worse. There is no way they are better. As others mentioned, maybe it has been used a lot and parts not replaced are starting to wear. Maybe it was abused. Maybe it is not fully fixable. I would pay the extra $60 for a new one.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
A refurb is not better than new. It can't be.

The only difference is that a refurb went through additional QA check, so there is less of a chance of you receiving a defective unit straight out of the box. But again, that doesn't mean it's better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts