AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you don't know, the Axia batch of AMD Athlon Thunderbirds are the most recent batch and are better suited to overclocking than earlier Thunderbirds. I would just buy a random Thunderbird and hope that I get an Axia, but unfortunately the cheapest places to buy Thunderbirds tend to segregate the non-Axias from the Axias, charging $18-$20 more each for the Axias.

So, should I pay the extra for the Axia? I'm guessing it is going to run cooler even when not overclocked, making it easier to cool quietly for home theater.

Next question: should I pay extra for blue copper? Again, it's supposed to be better for overclocking, and hence probably runs cooler. And again, it costs a little more to make sure you get one, about $15 extra.

Here are some prices from www.atacom.com :

$135.95 T-bird 1000/266 30-day

$155.95 T-bird 1000/266 30-day Axia

$175.95 T-bird 1000/266 1-year Axia blue copper

$158.95 T-bird 1200/266 30-day

$174.95 T-bird 1200/266 30-day blue copper

$189.95 T-bird 1200/266 30-day Axia blue copper

I don't plan to overclock it initially, as reliability and quietness are the two most important features for home theater, but I might eventually if I find I need more horsepower in the fture.

-Abdul

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Abdul:

___You are pretty far off the HTPC topic list so please bring it back on topic with your future postings or threads …

___Both the AX1A and the AV1A are both great OC’ers in the AMD 266 MHz FSB chips. They both are the Bluish tinted cores made at the Dresden fab plant and I have seen 1.4 GHz + success from many using both. The write-ups on either of these CPU’s is that the AX1A is the definitive AMD CPU to own for OC’ing and you can pick up a (non-guaranteed to be an AX1A) 1 GHz 266 MHz FSB T-Bird OEM for just $132.00 + shipping from Newwegg. All of those that I have ordered as well as hundreds of others posting on various web sites have reported receiving the AX1A’s in every case as well. For just $20.00 more, you can pick up a 1.2 GHz 266 MHz FSB CPU with the same core but it may have better resale and a guaranteed 1.2 Ghz out of the box. The reason why I mention the 1.2 GHz T-Bird is that I had one 1.0 GHz AX1A only do 1.15 GHz after the L1 bridge fix two months ago and was disappointed to say the least.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for a cool-running (and hence quietly cooled), cheap, fast CPU for use in a HTPC, and I don't see how it's any more inappropriate than the DVD survey thread, looking for the quietest DVD drive, or the AMD vs Intel threads, where people argue that Intel is the way to go since Intel CPU's generally run cooler and hence are more quietly cooled.

Also, overclocking is of special interest to HTPCers right now, as software HDTV decoding is just around the corner, and an AMD Thunderbird 1200 overclocked to 1600 is much faster than a Pentium IV 1500, which itself has been demoed doing software HDTV decoding. Those with closet-hidden systems or water cooling don't have to worry about the noise for overclocking.

However, you're the boss and I'm just an excited newbie, so I'll shut up and let this thread die (which you could have in the first place) and maybe I'll eventually learn what constitutes on-topic. I do appreciate your knowledgeable response.

-Abdul

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Abdul:

___No offense was taken by anyone here and I hope you found what you were looking for by my reply in either case.

___The DVD survey thread is as much a part of the HTPC as the CPU and chipset are but OC’ing via stepping codes is pretty far out there. The problem is not in the heat output of the T-Birds alone but in the flakiness of the VIA chipsets themselves. Anyone that has read a few reviews on the P4 vs. T-Bird review knows about the Intel performance problems with that particular CPU. In fact, the P4 and the Rambus solution needs just as potent a cooling solution as the T-Birds do giving way to an unacceptably high dB output air cooled solution. I do not recommend the P4’s because of the high cost for no improvement in performance as well as the loud cooling solution but it is an alternative for those that want to waste the money. As for reaching 1.6 GHz, I think you will have to wait for the official release of the Palomino at 1.5 GHz + simply because very few AX1A’a will reach 1.45 GHz without very high voltages and heavy duty cooling solutions let alone 1.6 GHz in which you mentioned.

___On another note, the SW HDTV solutions are ready to go but will probably not be available to us in the very near future. I have been in discussion with some of the principals myself and even though we definitely have the HP to run a SW HDTV solution, (a simple Radeon “LE†w/ a 866 - 1 GHz PIII or a P4/T-Bird at 1.2-1.7 GHz + with a GeForce2 GTS will suffice) the various OEM’s have still not asked to include this capability into their latest PC’s. Without a large OEM to back the cards and SW, no one is willing to step up to produce what we need from my understanding of the conversations to date.

___As far as being the boss, I am not even close. I am just a moderator like thousands of other volunteers on various web based forums around the net. You can post anything you want as long as it is on Topic and does so in a manner that does not offend others to a high degree. As you can tell by your reads of the posts in this forum, our signal to noise ratio is very high thanks to the many professional posters we have all come to know and I would like to keep it that way here in the AVScience forums to the best of my ability.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.