Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I am probably going to move forward with the purchase of a E-Home Marquee 8500 or 8500LC within the next several months. My house still being built and I have no desire to move this thing twice.

I never heard a bad thing about Curt P. or Tim "Hey Guys" Martin. Both of them could get me the PJ when I am ready to move on it. The question is who would you buy from and why. This is NOT a personality contest as both seem to be fantastic individuals and I do not have any reservations about purchasing from either. My question stems from the nagging thought in the back of my head.... What is the difference (if any) between the product once the two are done with it and ship it out? Tim specializes in the Marquee's and his prices are higher. Curt seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to the Marquees and has the surplus stock. Both could (and I am sure would) stand behind their products with both advice, information, and product redundancy/support.

So in short, what makes an E-Tech PJ worth more than a Curt or (insert other sellers name hear) PJ?

Also, does anyone know if Mike Parker does any outcall servicing/setup of the E-Home PJ's. He is semi local to me and has had his hands in 1 or 2 of them, or so I hear :D ....

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
personally i would buy from curt , great follow up , extremely helpful and he backs the machine with parts for life , can,t beat that............

·
Registered
445 Posts
My understanding is that Mike Parker would be able to help you with your Marquee on any level, be it installation, setup, tweaking and servicing.

- Chris

·
Banned
959 Posts
in fact, mike has an 8500 of mine at his house right now just waiting for some lucky fellow to buy it so he can re-tube it. pm me if interested, we are both in md. as far as him coming over to work on your pj, i would e-mail him. he is a very nice guy.

as far as curt and tim go, curt sells all kinds of used pj's. as far as i can tell, mainly lower end stuff. I have never purchased anything from him. He gets raves here. Tim, i think, is on a much higher level on marquees and you get what you pay for. Although i have never bought a pj from him i have bought several parts and gotten his fan mod. i would imagine you would get a pj with a much more thorough going over and more modifications done on it with tim. I don't know about curt, but i think tim only sells re-built pj's with new or rebuilt tubes. he doesn't sell non-re-built "used". it all comes down to the almighty dollar and how many you are willing to part with. So, to answer your question, no, in my opinion a 8500 from curt is not the same as one from tim.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Guy's,

setting up and calibrating projectors is not on my agenda for this year. This is something that most who personally know me has heard me say for the past two years. I've only been doing a very few, and have recommended others for this work. I don't really have the time for this, and would rather dedicate my time to doing more technical things where my heart is.

I still have a few customers that I'll continue to service, but for the most part I'm out of the calibration and setup business.

I do plan to post some tips on selecting a setup person for the Marquee on the "Marquee Maintenance" thread in the near future, because I'm finding that there are a lot of these projectors that are being "calibrated" but the "calibrator" did not resolve some minor or major technical issues with the projector before the calibration. I'm hearing of customers paying for projectors to be calibrated that has a bad or worn CRT's. I've also gotten calls and emails with other technical problems that had existed before the calibration, and was still present after the calibration. And either myself or someone else was recommended after the so called "calibration" was performed. I don't agree with this, because a 'professional' calibration should ONLY be performed on a properly funtioning projector. And in no way should a projector be concidered "calibrated" IF there are unresolved technical issues. Calibration is the final - period!

9 out of 10 of the CRT projectors that I went out to setup and calibrate needed some special technical attention before I was able to do anything. And in every case, I had to make several upgrades and fixes on the spot.

I'll continue this on the "Marquee Maintenance" thread after my return from visiting Tim Martin next month. But for now, do a search for William Phelps or Chuck Williams, I highly recommend these two guys.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Personally, I don't think its appropriate to ask forum members who benefit from BOTH Tim and Curt's generous technical responses on this forum, to critique their commercial benefits. You will only be getting bias, I doubt there is ANYONE who's bought a Marquee from each of them. You should contact Curt and Tim directly and ask them to explain the differences and ask for customer references, then make up your own mind. My $.02.

·
Registered
84 Posts
amen to gn2's reply. The question is offensive and shows a lack of class and should be answered through the buyer's personal investigation and kept private. Both Tim and Curt devote much uncompensated time answering threads or posting other valuable information and their commercial efforts should not be publicly scrutinized. Shame on the original poster.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Original poster" here...

Not in my wildest dreams did I think my post would ruffle any feathers. It certainly was not my goal to pit one against another. I recognized both "I never heard a bad thing about Curt P. or Tim "Hey Guys" Martin. " in a positive light as that is all I have ever heard.

I also stated "This is NOT a personality contest as both seem to be fantastic individuals and I do not have any reservations about purchasing from either. "...

I have contacted both, via e-mail, and received replies to each of my inquiries. They both sound like very good people, not just good people to do business with.

I am NEW to front pj's and know very little about CRT's. I have been a member of this forum for some time now and know that 90% of the questions on this forum are subjective e.g. what the best PJ, would you do (option 1) or (option 2) if you where me, is a 120 inch diag screen too big for this application, the list could go on and on. The intent of this forum (I believe) is to gather together and learn from others while sharing experience, and opinion. I as a poster have to decide what opinions I respect and what I do not give any credence to.

The post was to do just that... Ask others with more experience and who had dealt with Tim, Curt, and others to share their findings / opinions in an informative way. If I knew all "the right questions" I would have asked them for the answers. Unfortunately I do not know the questions, let alone the right answers. I do not know of any other place or means (with my knowledge base on the subject) that I could gather the info needed to make that decision.

I do not have 4-5 K laying around that I can throw at a seller / PJ and not wonder what seller A is doing differently than seller B. I can not imagine that Tim would respond to a note asking what makes him better than Curt or the note to Curt, concerning Tim.

Wrapping this note up... I do apologize if my note was taken any way other than as a means to make an informed buying decision. Both Tim and Curt have offered much to this forum. My inquiry was about PRODUCT difference not seller / technician competency. By the time any one has read this a note will have been fired off to both Tim and Curt, just in case they read my post with the same "eyes" as cineprorocks and gn2.

Feel free to send me a list of questions and "correct" answers that I could have / should have asked the individuals, as I still don't know.... I digressed again...

SORRY to whom ever I might have angered.

·
Banned
959 Posts
I think this question is legitimate and should be asked by someone considering spending alot of money. I'm sure he has already contacted both of them and asked them questions. These guys are very different and i think descriptions of their products and services can be discussed without offending them. Curt doesn't offer tim's fan mod, curt's pj's are usually less expensive. curt offers a variety of brands, tim only e-home. Tim has more knowledge of ehome than curt, ect. I think both of them would agree to these descriptions and would not be offended by these comparisons. Hey, they are both offering the guy the same model pj, but they are different and the price is different. i don't have to buy both of them to know the differences. I think it's legitimate for him to want to hear from as many sources as possible. I don't think it lacks class at all. you should do as much investigating as you can, including viewing the pj's if possible. This is a large, long term investment. Don't worry about ruffling feathers on this forum. Saying Mother teresa was a nice lady will flip off somebody around here. You guys want bias? I'll give you bias. If you can afford it, buy it from tim.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mr. Bond, you just don't get it, but I don't expect any more from you based on your responses to other threads. I will give Mr. E. Martin the benefit of the doubt and chalk up his question as unintentionally problematic. There are questions that should be asked through private channels like e-mail and the like. No one would criticize the question if it was limited to asking the difference between the products sold by either tim or curt or anyone else for that matter. But the questioned was worded in a way that suggested the author wanted references which should be sought through private channels. E. Martin should seek out information about projectors and sellers, but there is a big difference between asking about products offered and the reputation of popular sellers on this board. One can innocuously be put to the public and the other privately e-mailed to other posters on the board.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Curt does a higher volume of sales than me and across many brands and models of projector; I don't think he has slept in a year....:D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cineprorocks,

You just wrote:

"But the questioned was worded in a way that suggested the author wanted references which should be sought through private channels. E. Martin should seek out information about projectors and sellers, but there is a big difference between asking about products offered and the reputation of popular sellers on this board. "

I am not sure where you got that from? I expressly said "products"...

Now, I have no idea what business you are in but... How much credence do you put in vendor, dealer, seller, ect. references? I know that it is human nature to supply only the best of the best, glowing reviews of ones work or product. How many folks (not just PJ vendors) are going to provide you with a list of every unsatisfied customer so you can see why they would never do business with that individual/group again?

If you did not keep mentioning the names of the individuals in question I would swear you read a different note. Tim and I have spoken and I have even more insite into his work and passion. He's an even nicer guy over the phone than over e-mail. Had a great discussion.

This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you emailed tim (and Curt) and talked to them over the phone, then what was the purpose of your public thread? I wasn't the only one to consider your thread inappropriate. Looks to me that you are someone who needs every i and t dotted and crossed before you take the plunge. Better stick to rear projectors. Also, when you have Mr. Bond on your side, then you know you're wrong.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Cine

I called him, just to try to clear the smoke. I think all of you guys who got offended on this went slightly overboard here. I was never offended; hey! HT can command a huge investment, and when someone is shopping for an HT system they are entitled to as many facts as they can gather as to who is the vendor, and why do seemingly identical products (customer perception) cost more from some sources. :) You would not be aware unless we were in contact that E-Tech offers super savings on certain major name-brand screens and scalers when ordered with an E-Tech Marquee projector, another reason why the projector might be priced higher.......

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Well, since Tim replied, so will I..:)

I was not at all offended by the post!

James Bond pretty much nailed the differences anyways. Tim has been working on Marquees since their inception, I have not. I've told many people that I will not do things like fan mods on projectors as I do not have the R&D time to make sure that a mod such as a fan will not shorten tube or module life. I never want to be accused of:

"the tubes wouldn't have failed if you hadn't modded the fans"...

Tim has obviously done his research on it, and hats off to him. In fact, people that ask me about doing the hush mod on Marquees get turned straight onto him..:)

As for price, yes, I can't afford to keep projectors around for months at a time waiting for that extra few hundred $$. I work on volume, but at the same time I know my limits, and make sure all of my projectors are run 20-30 hours and are fully checked over.

Having said that, anyone that has dealt with anything used know that bugs (and shipping damage) creep into the most tested of products.

That's what sets a few of us dealers ahead of buying from someone that does not know CRT's that is selling them on eBay, the after sales service. Moreover, I know that if I am in a bind, I can call on any number of resellers (icluding Tim) for a part that I may not have, and I'll do the same for them.

Cheers!

Curt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Curt

I could not have drafted a more appropriate response; most eloquent Sir!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cinepro,

I can't imagine when I will ever have enough money, or lack of common sense, that I decide to not have my i's dotted and t's crossed before parting with, what I consider, a considerable amount of money. Especially when I have a forum full of more knowledgeable folks that can help me do the dotting and crossing, before taking the plunge.

I will do my best to be more deserving of a front PJ system before purchasing it.

Curt, Tim, others... Is the pre-PJ purchase exam written or oral? My only hope is open book, multiple choice!:D

Thanks Tim, Curt, Mike, 007, penticton102, and ChrisH for the info, assistance, and yes... even the {GASP} opinions. I love this forum.

Moving on....

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you ask the question, "who would you buy from (referring to tim or curt), and why?", you are solicitating publicly any and all experiences buyers have had with either tim or curt. As you may already know or personally experienced, anyone who deals with the public, be it selling or offering some service, will have some customers or clients who claim to have received bad products, service or advice, whether it is justified or not. That type of information should be privately solicited. Particularly when its concerning major contributors to this forum. Yes, you certainly should get feedback as to buyers experiences with tim or curt as I would, but I would have approached it differently. Maybe its a case of semantics or that your question could have been two-pronged, but it was taken by myself and others as to requesting not only technical answers but personal references in a public forum.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
"So in short, what makes an E-Tech PJ worth more than a Curt or (insert other sellers name hear) PJ?"

This is the line which made your original post inappropriate IMHO. Specifically the word "worth" . Sorry if you feel I' m overreacting or being too sensitive, but when expressing doubts about somethings "worth", I believe it may be perceived that you are criticizing the quality of the thing whose worth you've questioned, and by extention the seller of those things. You've stated you have talked to both Curt and Tim and know the technical differences between their products, and you also state you have no trouble trusting either as a buyer, so basically you want us to weigh in publicly about whether Tims mods should be valued at what he values them at. I think the market speaks to that, Tim sells so many projectors he has a hard time finding stock. MOST importantly though, I think the only person who might be able to give you an OBJECTIVE, comparative answer, is someone who has purchased the same projector from BOTH Curt AND Tim. ANY other response, will just be conjecture and opinion, neither of which will do you any good, but could possibly harm the perception of either of two valued contributors to our forum. So please go ahead and do all the research you need to do, and if you find someone who can give you an objective opinion of the value of those differences based on experience, please pass them along. I would be interested to hear THAT advice, but speculation on relative worth from people who have only experienced one side of the equation is NOT constructive, IMHO.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cineprorocks
Mr. Bond, you just don't get it, but I don't expect any more from you based on your responses to other threads. .
judging by tim and curts response, they must not get it either. nobody gets it but you cinepro. Geuss thats why you are a cinepro and i'm a cineamateur.

you guys are such over sensitive know it all crybabys. relax, have a drink or something.

there is nothing funnier that some internet weenie getting his panties all twisted up and the subject of the thread doesn't even care. that is classic internet. Defend on!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.