AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I've been running an M&K 150THX system (paired with an MX-350 sub) for about ten years now using a variety of receivers in dedicated, relatively small spaces. I'm currently powering the speakers using a Denon AVR-2809 with Audyssey in full swing (which sounds fantastic, by the way). The system is being used about 90% for movies and TV and about 10% for gaming. I listen to essentially no music at all on the system. We recently purchased a bigger house and my system is now in an "open kitchen area" which really comprises the kitchen space, the dining room, and the living room (i.e., one big 'ol room). Because the room is so much larger than my prior room (which was essentially dedicated to the living room), I've noticed that I need to turn the sound on the Denon up to about -9 or -5 in order to watch movies at a "normal" volume level when listening to lossless blu-ray tracks. While everything sounds great, I'm concerned that I'm asking the Denon to do more than it should be doing given the larger room and the 4 Ohm rating of the speakers. As such, I'm considering adding an external amplifier and have been looking at either a new Emotiva (200 x 5) or a used Outlaw or Rotel from eBay (or AVS classified, I guess). My question is two-fold: 1) Am I "hurting" the Denon receiver by having to turn the volume up so loudly to listen at normal movie volumes, and 2) will I hear an increase in quality of audio using external amplifiers given that the Denon would be used as a pre-amp?


I'm not able to nor interested in spending thousands on separates - my budget simply doesn't allow for that. Thoughts.....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 /forum/post/18230445


1) Am I "hurting" the Denon receiver by having to turn the volume up so loudly to listen at normal movie volumes

No. Not so long as you are not clipping the amplifier.
Quote:
2) will I hear an increase in quality of audio using external amplifiers given that the Denon would be used as a pre-amp?

No. Again, not so long as you are not clipping the Denon. And even if you were, the improvement would likely be imperceptible.


You are dealing with the law of diminishing returns. To replace your existing 115W Denon with a new 200W, the increase in maximum loudness will be 2.4dB ! The average person cannot detect an increase of even 3dB. In order for you to "double" your loudness (10dB) over the Denon, you will need almost 1200W per channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I've never clipped my Denon receiver and haven't gotten the volume up to zero (from the negatives). In fact, -5 is quite loud (almost too loud) for most movies. I guess my original thinking was that the 115 wpc wasn't really a "true" 115 wpc (i.e., that it isn't 115 RMS) and that a separate dedicated amplifier would do a better job and provide higher quality audio than what I have now (not that I'm dissatisfied with what I've got) (i.e., that a separate amp would be 115 RMS).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 /forum/post/18230445


Greetings! I've been running an M&K 150THX system (paired with an MX-350 sub) for about ten years now using a variety of receivers in dedicated, relatively small spaces. I'm currently powering the speakers using a Denon AVR-2809 with Audyssey in full swing (which sounds fantastic, by the way). The system is being used about 90% for movies and TV and about 10% for gaming. I listen to essentially no music at all on the system. We recently purchased a bigger house and my system is now in an "open kitchen area" which really comprises the kitchen space, the dining room, and the living room (i.e., one big 'ol room). Because the room is so much larger than my prior room (which was essentially dedicated to the living room), I've noticed that I need to turn the sound on the Denon up to about -9 or -5 in order to watch movies at a "normal" volume level when listening to lossless blu-ray tracks. While everything sounds great, I'm concerned that I'm asking the Denon to do more than it should be doing given the larger room and the 4 Ohm rating of the speakers. As such, I'm considering adding an external amplifier and have been looking at either a new Emotiva (200 x 5) or a used Outlaw or Rotel from eBay (or AVS classified, I guess). My question is two-fold: 1) Am I "hurting" the Denon receiver by having to turn the volume up so loudly to listen at normal movie volumes, and 2) will I hear an increase in quality of audio using external amplifiers given that the Denon would be used as a pre-amp?


I'm not able to nor interested in spending thousands on separates - my budget simply doesn't allow for that. Thoughts.....?

Hi !


In terms of power an external amp will not change much. The only advantage of an external amp would be quality but only if the external amp is of better quality than your Denon's amp section. You would also need good interconnects and power cables for the devices. A power conditioner added to all that would clearly help improve your sound quality whatsoever.


If you have any doubts about this visit Audioasylum.com. There, quality talk is imperative. Much of the implementations of quality for Stereo can be used for suround sound aplications.


Hope I could be of help.


All the best,


Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 /forum/post/18230445


Greetings! I've been running an M&K 150THX system (paired with an MX-350 sub) for about ten years now using a variety of receivers in dedicated, relatively small spaces. I'm currently powering the speakers using a Denon AVR-2809 with Audyssey in full swing (which sounds fantastic, by the way). The system is being used about 90% for movies and TV and about 10% for gaming. I listen to essentially no music at all on the system. We recently purchased a bigger house and my system is now in an "open kitchen area" which really comprises the kitchen space, the dining room, and the living room (i.e., one big 'ol room). Because the room is so much larger than my prior room (which was essentially dedicated to the living room), I've noticed that I need to turn the sound on the Denon up to about -9 or -5 in order to watch movies at a "normal" volume level when listening to lossless blu-ray tracks. While everything sounds great, I'm concerned that I'm asking the Denon to do more than it should be doing given the larger room and the 4 Ohm rating of the speakers. As such, I'm considering adding an external amplifier and have been looking at either a new Emotiva (200 x 5) or a used Outlaw or Rotel from eBay (or AVS classified, I guess). My question is two-fold: 1) Am I "hurting" the Denon receiver by having to turn the volume up so loudly to listen at normal movie volumes, and 2) will I hear an increase in quality of audio using external amplifiers given that the Denon would be used as a pre-amp?


I'm not able to nor interested in spending thousands on separates - my budget simply doesn't allow for that. Thoughts.....?

It appears you ran Autosetup, which calibrated your system to be at a particular SPL in your listening seat with the volume control at zero. If you bought 1000 watts per channel and recalibrated, you would still have your Denon turned to -9 to get the same volume level. So as indicated, unless you're getting indications you're pushing the amps too hard (heat or audible distortion) you should be okay. I have functionally the equivalent amp (989) and typically listen no louder than -10 ish with dynamic EQ on, and have never suspected any amp problems. Seems to be entirely adequate for what I think of as "regular people" listening.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top