AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Is an RCA cable an RCA cable?

692 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  whoaru99
Besides the wonderful marketing that is done by many fine companies, what, if any, are the differences between the way these RCA cables function?:


1. Component Video

2. Digital Audio Cable

3. Analog Audio Interconnects

4. Subwoofer Cable

5. Composite Video


Are they all the same with just a different label slapped on? The reason I ask is I have some extra component video cable that I've considered using as analog audio interconnects for another system.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
An RCA connector is an RCA connector, most of the time. The cable it is connected to can vary. Most analog audio cables are simple, shielded coaxial cables. Video and digital audio cables with RCA connectors are similar in construction but are usually specified as having a 75ohm characteristic impedance.


Kal
What did it sound like when you tried it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha33
Besides the wonderful marketing that is done by many fine companies, what, if any, are the differences between the way these RCA cables function?:


1. Component Video

2. Digital Audio Cable

3. Analog Audio Interconnects

4. Subwoofer Cable

5. Composite Video


Are they all the same with just a different label slapped on? The reason I ask is I have some extra component video cable that I've considered using as analog audio interconnects for another system.
Component video cable should work fine as analog audio interconnects - in fact it's overkill.


You can interchange component video cable, composite video cable and digital audio cable - they're all the same (75 ohm). Of course with component video, you need 3 cables.:) Analog audio interconnects and subwoofer cable are the same as each other but not the same as component video, composite video or digital audio cable since they do not have to be 75 ohm - although they sometimes are.
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
Component video cable should work fine as analog audio interconnects - in fact it's overkill.


You can interchange component video cable, composite video cable and digital audio cable - they're all the same (75 ohm). Of course with component video, you need 3 cables.:) Analog audio interconnects and subwoofer cable are the same as each other but not the same as component video, composite video or digital audio cable since they do not have to be 75 ohm - although they sometimes are.
OK, so the difference lies in the cable's impedance characteristics. Here's an interesting article I found when researching the term "ohm".

Analog vs. Digital Coax


BTW, thanks for the responses.
Quote:
OK, so the difference lies in the cable's impedance characteristics.
No, they're all 75 Ohm coax cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantec
No, they're all 75 Ohm coax cables.
Ordinary analog interconnects don't have to be. They might be, but there are no guarantees.


It's not adviseable to use ordinary analog interconnects as digital audio cables. Expect dropouts or no signal lock at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantec
No, they're all 75 Ohm coax cables.
All the component video, composite video, and "digital audio" cables are (should be...) 75 Ohm coax cables.


Analog audio cables may or may not be 75 ohm coax construction.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top