AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a hidden way to enable an anamorphic type mode that would fill up a 16:9 screen? It would be great if there were a way to view the "status" info in the unused portion of the 4:3 screen. For example, couldn't the QS icon show up outside of the 4:3 boundaries?

As an alternative, it would be great if the menus could be shrunk to fit within a 4:3 zoom mode of 16:9 TV's.

Of course, the ideal thing is for everything to move to HDTV (including the RTV).

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would love this feature in my 5040. My RCA HDTV set isn't smart enough to realize the component output is in 4:3 format, so stretches it fit the 16:9 width of the screen. I end up switching to the S-video out to see the correct aspect ratio. Sadly, the image quality of the S-video is not as nice as the component output...

On another note, does anyone know if there are capture card/devices for component video output? I would love to capture the HDTV output of my cable box and "down convert" to a high quality MPEG2/DVD recording...

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I've recorded 16:9 material in it's anamorphic format to display stretched on a widescreenTV.

Augur, I don't like those displays that lock to widescreen on component input. Panasonic was another manufacturer that did this.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
HDTV stuff, I've used both my ProScan HD-105 (DTC-100 sister) and the Sony HD-100. It looks pretty good. I've still got last years superbowl (all 13GB) on a PC drive, it looks pretty good even after captured on a replayTV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jeff D.,

The RCA I have works fine with my cable box. It looks like Motorola (or maybe Comcast) get the 4:3 format out of the component outputs in the correct format for my TV (of course, it could just be interlaced coming out through the component connectors-which the TV handles just fine). It is when it is output in progressive scan that the TV can get confused. I have a few DVDs that throw the TV for a loop, too. On the other hand, it works well with my computer using a VGA to component adapter and looks very good with the progressive output from the XBOX my kids are so fond of...

I would like to follow up on your HDTV capture. How did you get the 13GB HDTV super bowl game into your computer using the component output? Do you have a capture card that can accept a true HDTV signal from a component video source? Or are you talking about a "downconverted" output? (For example, my cable box will output the HDTV format (HBO, local HDTV channels) out the component connectors, but simultaneously downconvert and dump an interlaced version of the programming out the composite and S-Video outputs.

I have recorded a little DVD programming using my RTV 5040. Curiously enough, I have a few PAL format discs and needed to convert to NTSC. I compared using my Akai DVD player (auto converts PAL to NTSC) as the source for the S-Video in on the RTV. Looked pretty good. On the other hand, although it took extra work, extracting the VOBs... and converting on my computer ended up looking better... Not the same issue as trying to get an HDTV program captured and downconverted to a DVD compliant MPEG2 format...

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Augur, I'm really confused by your first paragraph. Are you describing your RCA tv and and the problems you see? It sounds like the set is 4:3 and can't hand progressive input, but can handle interlaced component. There is a difference, a big difference. What's the model of your TV. The DVD's screwing up the TV is very odd.

My recording of the superbowl was a test. I've recorded lots of HDTV stuff on the replay. The thing is the HDTV reciver downconverts the signal to 480i which is std tv signal. The image is anamorphic, it's a 4:3 image that is presented "stretched" vertically so that items will appear in the correct aspect when you stretch the image horizontally for a widescreen TV. (You DVD player does the same thing by adding letterboxing so it displays correctly on a 4:3 TV. The image on the DVD if anamorphic is NOT letterboxed on the DISC, the DVD player adds those.)

So, my recordings are downsampled, but still look pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.