Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have questions about the new firewire, copyright protection standards:

---If you have a HDTV with a decoder inside then will this not effect you?

---Will there be upgrades for normal HDTV ready TVs?

---It has been less than 90 days since my sisters fiance bought a RCA mm36110 should he return it while he still can?

If anyone has more questions please ask and hopefully someone can answer them and mine.

Thanx!

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ragedogg69:
I have questions about the new firewire, copyright protection standards:

---It has been less than 90 days since my sisters fiance bought a RCA mm36110 should he return it while he still can?

If anyone has more questions please ask and hopefully someone can answer them and mine.

Thanx!

In all honesty if these standards get passed, and they really do become standardized you could be in a bit of trouble. I assume thats the model with the built in satellite? No one really knows if they are going to obsolete the old stuff, but if they do, you may be screwed. If the place you bought it from will take it back you may want to consider it and just wait for a bit and see what happens, but most places aren't going to take something back after 30 days. Your best bet might be to call RCA and ask them since its there equipment and see what they have to say about your TV becoming obsolete. Maybe they have plans for some type of a "Promise" module for you too.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
This is really uncertain at this point. Can DTV distinguish a DTC-100 standalone unit from one that is imbedded inside an HDTV, I don't believe anyone here knows the answer to this question yet. Certainly, this is a possibility. Of course, this set still will have problems if HD-DVD requires a firewire/DTCP or DVI/HDCP connection.

Quote:
I seriously doubt this. Mitsubishi has promised to provide an "upgrade module", but they are the only ones that I've heard of promising this. I would imagine that if your HDTV was not designed upfront with this in mind, it would be unlikely to be easily upgraded.

The question remains whether today's HDTVs will have their analog outputs down-rezed. Again, this is really anybody's guess at this point. Personally, I've advocated in this forum that we all raise our voices in protest about this, but I think by the time it is all said and done, the likelyhood that existing HDTVs will all of sudden become obsolete is slim. HDTV and HD-DVD will fail without early adopter support.

Quote:
That's a personal decision. It depends on why he purchased it in the first place. If he plans on using it mostly for upscaled DVD via an HTPC or progressive scan DVD player and broadcast HDTV, I see no reason to return it. He certainly will not lose the ability to use it to watch DVDs and it is unlikely that broadcast HDTV will ever be encrypted.

If he loves Per-Per-View and was looking forward to watching HDTV movies using cable or satellite PPV, he might want to reconsider his purchase. Of course, he probably have to sit on the sidelines for a another year or more to wait out how all this protection crap pans out (e.g. Should he buy a 5C or HDCP set?). Not at all an appealing option to me. He also needs to understand the implications of these copy protection schemes and make a decision whether he wants to help usher in this technology by purchasing one these CP enabled sets.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ragedogg69:

Since the standards have just been agreed to, it is highly doubtful that the internal DirecTv tuner will be able to decode the new standard.

An upgrade is possible at some price, but neither RCA or most other manufactures have said anything about an upgrade. Its pure speculation on what will happen.

Obviously its your decision to return the set. I personally would return it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is a great deal of confusion. My guess is it will not be clarified definitively anytime soon.

After initial panic, I now realize that the attendant confusion with this purported change will delay real action for years by the manufacturing and entertainment industry.

My guess is that the publicity about the change, and the obsoleting of expensive equipment will basically kill the sales of hardware. Confusion is not a basis for trust - particularly when you are buying from people who just shafted one million people.

When you add in the knowledge that your ability to copy will be severely limited, you will have to buy new av equipment etc. etc. - this spells floppola for the whole thing - not to mention the lawsuits that will be filed and the congressional hearings that will be held.

The people who are bringing us this mess are both arrogant and stupid.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I also have the set he is talking about. What seperates him from me is that I have not had any cable or Satellite TV programing at all.

I use the set for web browsing AVS forum and for watching movies. I haven't missed programming in the whole 4 years. 1997 is when I told them to take out the cable.

You only have to worry about programming, my set can get a really good pictue on all the DVDs and Vhs cassettes that are out there and for years to come.

I simply don't have to worry whether my high def will go out. I will just use the small out lay of 3 grand for all it's worth. Then buy what's new when it doesn't work any more, just like with new cars that become old cars.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.