AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the trailer for Appaloosa and I'm seriously considering a blind buy come this Tuesday.

The only problem I see is that I looked it up on Rottentomatoes...

I found it scored a 75% fresh which is good, yet 3:10 to Yuma got an 88% fresh and I wasn't too crazy about that one.

Can anyone who's actually seen Appaloosa tell me if its worth picking up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It felt like I was watching Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall all over again. Don't get me wrong I liked both movies but they sure were alot a like to me.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw it theatrically and liked it a lot so I would recommend it if you haven't seen it. i thought 3:10 to Yuma was better however.

Since I have already seen it, I plan to buy it when it is on sale at some point. No rush for me.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/15529374

I saw it theatrically and liked it a lot so I would recommend it if you haven't seen it. i thought 3:10 to Yuma was better however.

Since I have already seen it, I plan to buy it when it is on sale at some point. No rush for me.

Thanks for your comments.

By the way, don't know if its a sale or not, but Amazon and Target will both have Appaloosa for $24.99 this week.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i'm blind buying it on recommendation from a friend who has yet to let me down on movie recommendations

·
Registered
488 Posts
Enjoyed the theatrical screening of this quieter, deliberately-paced western....have always admired Ed Harris's work, who multi-tasks here as both director & actor. The New Mexico landscapes should look extra arid on Blu, and the retro-flavored score and train sequence should sound great in lossless. I personally enjoyed this more than the '3:10 To Yuma' remake.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It was a better movie and a better western than 3:10 to Yuma IMO. Slower pacing and not as much crazy action like 3:10 but a much better representation of the genre. I'm a bigger fan of westerns in book form than on screen for the most part and I thought that Appaloosa felt like a good western book does. Its surprisingly funny but with a really dry humor and Viggo and Ed Harris played off each other really well.

I'm definitely planning on picking this up on Blu-ray in the near future.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I like these new westerns... I missed it in theaters but it's definitely a blind buy. Besides, I like Ed Harris both as an actor and director, I thought Pollock was great; so I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the flick was fine but slow. That was the downside to it. acting was fine, but the pace was just terrible sometimes

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I received confirmation that my copy from Netflix will arrive tomorrow (release day). Didn't see it in the theater.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Another $11 Columbia House title for me
I have not seen this before but I`m sure I will like it. Viggo is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unfortunately, us Canadians will have to wait a little longer for Appaloosa....it's been curiously delayed until Jan 20th, the same date that 'Jet Li's Fearless' on BD will finally be released here also. Along w/King Kong, it'll be an expensive day. Incidentally, I'll be double-dipping on the latter 2 titles for the extended cuts, as I have them both on HDDVD.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I got it from Amazon and it will be my Saturday night movie this week
I'll post what I think next week.

Speaking of Open Range I would love to see it and more westerns out on Blu-ray.

Jim

·
Registered
805 Posts
I rented this from Netflix. Unfortunately, they sent be the regular DVD, so I can not comment on picture quality. As for the movie itself, I thought it was very good. Maybe a little slow paced, but good movie. However, I am a fan of westerns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts