Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

is anyone getting smooth and clear pans with their radeon based htpc? the pans i'm getting with the ati player and windvd tend to blurr out. is this due to my old and now deceased(processor died)htcp had only a 570MHz processor under the hood? would a 1 ghz athalon or pentium do the trick?

just to let you know, DMA and all the other radeon tweeks have already been implemented. i got 256pc133 ram and my hardrive is an ibm ata66. my projector is a sony 1272. everthing is clear except the pans.

thanks in advance

hiko

[This message has been edited by hiko (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

if you are very sensitive to judders, try adjusting your refresh rate to

an exact multiple of 29.97 (NTSC frame rate). Adjusting my radeon to

71.924 gave me the best results yet.

Cheers

Christoph

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've found that the ATI player tends to stutter quite a bit - even the processor utukiasation is not that high - much smoother using PowerDVD.

------------------

Its not what you do - its the way that you do it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,

thanks for the replys. yes, dvd genie has 3:2 unchecked and refresh is at 71.924(i've tried 72 as well). but what i'm getting is not studders or jitters during the pans. the picture is blurring out. the pan movement is smooth but NOT clear. it's as if the picture is defocusing during the pans. once the camera "stays still" then it's clear.

if anyone is getting smooth and clear panning, please let me know what processor speed your system is running at. i suspect that this is the culprit.

thanks,

hiko

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Quote:
the pan movement is smooth but NOT clear. it's as if the picture is defocusing during the pans. once the camera "stays still" then it's clear.
Be sure what you're seeing is not just the normal blurring effect of motion captured on 24 frames-per-second film. During one of the pans, hit 'pause' to freeze the image. Chances are even that single frame will be blurred, since the image has moved during the 1/24th of a second that the shutter was exposed over that frame.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I have to agree with Jim. Lately I have been hyper-sensitive to the blurring during pans and the last time I went to the theater, guess what, the pans were blurry. When you reach a certain point you run into the limitation of 24 fps film capture, which is not very high when you think about it. Go to the theater and check it out yourself.

There is a possibility that sophisticated algorithms may be able to compensate for this, but I don't even know if one exists.

John Moschella

·
Registered
581 Posts
Jim and John funny you said that I notice this too in the Theater this weekend when I went to see The mummy returnes.

I've notice to more I get into Hometheater the more I seem to see inperfections that I did not notice before.

That maybe the down side of getting into this hobby.

Hugo

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella:
I have to agree with Jim. Lately I have been hyper-sensitive to the blurring during pans and the last time I went to the theater, guess what, the pans were blurry. When you reach a certain point you run into the limitation of 24 fps film capture, which is not very high when you think about it. Go to the theater and check it out yourself.

There is a possibility that sophisticated algorithms may be able to compensate for this, but I don't even know if one exists.

John Moschella
The blur could be reduced by changing the shutter setting on the camera, but then the motion would be too jerky.

24 fps material can be interpolated to a higher frame rate, albeit the process is imperfect and expensive. I suppose that when that technology becomes cheaper we'll see more of it. The motion blur could be reduced electronically to match the higher frame rate, but there's a theoretical limit for a given signal/noise ratio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.