AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a DTC100 from a forum member. Got it in today and connected my BG808s to it's RGB output. The picture is horrible. There are horizontal stripes of discoloration and alternating bright and dim stripes in the image. Here are a couple of screen shots...
http://members.cox.net/xanadu/HDTV.JPG

That's actually a person sitting on a sofa in the bottom photo but you can't even tell it because of the dimmed out horizontal stripes in the picture. These stripes of discoloration and dimness come and go and shift around in the picture.

If you are using the same combination (808s and DTC100) are you experiencing this or are you seeing a normal picture?

Bob Wood

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob -

This is a sync issue. Your Barco is looking for negative sync and the DTC-100 only puts out positive sync. The 9-pin port 3 input will take either but will require a special cable. Extron makes sync converters that work well with other members Barco setups. Do a search for "Extron" or "negative sync" and you have plenty of research material. Good Luck!

Darren -

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work with my BG808s. I think only the 's' model doesn't require negative sync however.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Extron makes sync converters that work well with other members Barco setups.
Wow. Sure wish I had done the research before I bought this silly thing. Never occurred to me that there would be a sync issue. I'll probably have to pay as much for that Extron box as I did for the HDTV receiver. This home theater hobby is just not very suitable for a "sultan of cheap". I think it is really much more suitable for the money is no object set.

Oh well, I may not have much money but thankfully I do still have my good looks anyway.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
"Oh well, I may not have much money but thankfully I do still have my good looks anyway. "

If that's your picture there, then I have some bad news for you Bob....

Why do I keep hearing that Barcos need to have an Extron to flip the sync? We are just talking about changing the polarity right? $0.78 worth of parts applied to the Barco's input board could fix it right?

Cary

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to mention that even if we do opt for the Extron "sync converter" I have not been able to find how to buy one. I searched the forum and found several references to using a "sync converter" with Barcos. But no specific reference to an Extron model or part number. Then I looked over the Extron site and nowhere could I find a "sync converter".

In my case I guess it probably doesn't matter. I'm going to be replacing my BG808s with an Ampro 3600. Hopefully the Ampro can handle positive sync.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Well, just for the record, I think people are using Extron buffers that just happen to be able to invert sync (not their primary function but an added benefit for Barco owners).

Cary

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob -

From one "sultan of cheap" to another, I feel your pain! I switched from Sony 1272qm to a Barco BG808 and have had the same issues. A good Extron model is the 202plus/202xi, or you can go with a 109 or similar. Ebay is an EXCELLENT source for these devices!

Cary -

Have tried your $0.78 sync solution?

Darren -

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, so does or doesn't the "S" work with positive sync? There seems to be conflicting information out there. Robert, yours doesn't...Jim, yours does? I want to pair a stand alone STB with my BG808S, but if it means buying a $500 snyc converter, I may have to go the PC HD route.

Dan

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Dan wrote:

> but if it means buying a $500 snyc converter... I'll probably have to pay as much for that Extron box as I did for the HDTV receiver.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
On my BG808s (1997 vintage I believe) I've never had any sync problems with anything I've used, including the DTC100, and various HTPCs using standard PC VGA sync signals.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim,

Mine is a 97 manufactured BG808s too. Don't know why it's an issue with mine and not with yours. I wonder if yours could have been modified in some way? Or maybe it has a circuit revision which makes it work with +sync?

In any case I'm going to be selling my 808s and replacing it with an Ampro 3600.

Bob

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Bob,

that does not look like a sync polarity problem, it looks more like your Horiz Phase needs adjusting (sync timing). The 808 should accept both positive and negative sync automatically.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike,

I've been using my Dish 6000 and HTPC with it for over a year and neither of those give any indication of the hor phase not being adjusted. I loaned the DTC100 to a friend yesterday because I didn't think I could use it until my Ampro is mounted. If you tell me that my hor phase adjustment could still be the problem even though there is no issue with the Dish 6000 or HTPC then I'll get it back from him and reconnect it.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Bob,

I would try the horiz phase, it was a much needed adjustment on some of the Barcos.

The Ampro 3600 - was probably the best of their work, if it's the one with the MEC tubes (don't remember), you'll be getting rid of the 808...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.