AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to rip all of my CD collection and create either MP3, AAC, or WMA files (haven't decided on format yet).

As a front end player to my stereo receiver, I was thinking of using an iPod because of its cool search and playlist features.

Is anyone doing this? If so, I would appreciate any advice on how to set it up.

________

Rick

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've never listened to AAC or WMA files, but I did extensive listening to MP3s and even with high bitrates the degredation in the sound was dramatic. Maybe not so noticable with your typical $10 headphones and $50 portable player, but if you start putting this on your expensive audio gear you will be losing a lot.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a 10GB iPod which I picked up on clearance. I use an 1/8 to RCA breakout connecting to my distribution system. I connect it when I'm in the yard or the game room. Works great for that particular use. Never tried it with my main system though, I just pop in the original CD.

·
Registered
27,349 Posts
Is there an IR remote for the I-Pod?

A corded remote isn't very handy.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Is there an IR remote for the I-Pod?

A corded remote isn't very handy.
No IR. I have playlists created for my use, like different genres or tempo. Like my backyard party mix:D It's a plug it in and forget it for all day/night long music. If I want IR control I use a CD or DBS music channel.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Ever think of using the Audio Request CD servers? They can be controlled via IR, serial or network. They can also rip MP3 at 320kps, or accept FLACC or wav files. You can also transfer your music files to or from the player so any of the tunes from your ipod can be loaded into the machine. And yes their software will work on a Mac.

Alan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just read this article in Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?934

If you use the uncompressed AIFF format (an option under Edit->Preferences), you get pretty close to stereophile quality.

If you dont' want to use up that much space, the reviewer says 192kbps wasn't too bad either.

I just got my iPod so I'm pretty psyched about this article and the possibilities for my new toy.

(Edited to add that you need to go to the last page of the article before the reviewere starts talking about the different formats and the audio quality.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.