AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parkland is selling sheets for 'home theater purpose' now. Not sure what the difference is from the ones you could pick up at Menards before, besides the size (the special orders can be 5x10 compared to 8x4).

Does anyone have experience with the special order one? While it is considerably more expensive than what you can pick up at Menards, I figure you get a bigger screen, possibly smoother(?), and it still costs about 100 USD, including shipping.

Once you got it, how did you set it up? I was thinking of using several tape strips, in addition to 'frame it in', onto the wall, without any cutting, then create some black velcro strips, to make sure the dimensions are ok. I think I'll do this in both directions, unless I get convinced that the 2.35:1 (fixed height) approach is the way to go I think in any case, the most used configuration would be 4x 9.4 (which will cover 2.35:1)

Also, which side of the sheet should be facing the audience, and did you do anything to treat it?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry I posted this in the main 'screens' forum first..

-Tom

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can't speak to this 'deluxe edition' but I think I have recently heard its a little stiffer. I don't know about smoother since the original is smooth. You don't want it smooth to the point of being glossy.

If you want 5x8 then I guess its worth a hundred bucks but wow thats quite a jump from 19.98 you pay to get a 4x8 Parkland at Home Depot.

Sorry but I must plug it again, if you can make a couple calls to a plastic distributor within driving distance and ask if they have or can get you PVC sheet, it comes in 5x8 or 6x8 if you want to go 4x3 and use your full raster. At any rate its a great economical alternative to Parkland. Probably 8x5 is under 40 dollars.

The goal is to have a smooth white plastic surface to project on...unless you are digital and want gray for contrast. My screen is mounted to a frame, but that is because I was going to stretch a fabric. I am not fond of velcro other than it being cheap and lets you take the screen off. but if you do, you end up looking at ugly velcro on your wall. If you build a frame, you can hang it on a couple nails.

People seem to be happy with the natural color and luster of the Parkland raw but some paint it. It depends on your projector and what you are satisfied with. I will probably paint mine but I am trying it raw first.

Since I have only seen Parkland but not used it, I hope you can get some other responses from direct users. Few of us actually end up seeing anything other than our own screen. If you have a smooth wall to project to, you should just use that. Don't buy a plastic or cloth screen material unless you have to. A wall is great and much easier to deal with. No worrying about formats, fasteners and all the dilemas and worries that come with preparing a proper DIY screen.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,643 Posts
Udder wisdom !

The Methane producing Reactor hath spoken with Bovian eloquence. And from the correct end to listen to! :eek:

Tomes, you would do well to heed the call to the Barn. Cheap Feed always taste better than the high dollar stuff does when your on a strict budget.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, the reason I am looking at the Parkland is the fact that it is 5x10. Boards that are 5x8, would in reality only provide about 3 feet of projection, heightwise, when watching 2,35:1. The 5x10, lets me utilize more than 4 feet heightwise. (I look mostly at movies shot with 2.35:1)

Though I understand it is possible to get very high quality 'screen', by applying the right type of paints to a wall, for decorative purposes, I like a set screen w/black borders that is separated from the rest of the wall (which will be a dark color).

I figure on just using velcro around the border, to add on extra black cover, if needed. (will probably try to set up a format that cover my needs, so I don't have to fiddle around with this much..)

While I'm on a budget, it is still around 2000-2500, which must cover projector, screen, possibly a anamorphic lense and cables. While I'm not the type to use 500-1000 on a screen, I'm ok with spending 100-200. However, due to my size requirements, I don't think I can afford any pre-fabricated screens from real screen producers, and other options seem to complicated for me. (I've pretty much got 10 thumbs..)

I agree, I can skip the tape, and just frame it on the wall though. The velcro was in any case just intended to be on the outside of the frame, so I could fasten thicker black borders if I want to watch for instance 16:9 or 4:3 material.

I'll be using a digital projector.

Since my room has a white wall, I'll definitely give it a go first, to see if that works well. If it does, I may end up just hanging a black frame around it, and paint the rest of the wall :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, the reason I am looking at the Parkland is the fact that it is 5x10. Boards that are 5x8, would in reality only provide about 3 feet of projection, heightwise, when watching 2,35:1. The 5x10, lets me utilize more than 4 feet heightwise. (I look mostly at movies shot with 2.35:1)

Though I understand it is possible to get very high quality 'screen', by applying the right type of paints to a wall, for decorative purposes, I like a set screen w/black borders that is separated from the rest of the wall (which will be a dark color).

I figure on just using velcro around the border, to add on extra black cover, if needed. (will probably try to set up a format that cover my needs, so I don't have to fiddle around with this much..)

While I'm on a budget, it is still around 2000-2500, which must cover projector, screen, possibly a anamorphic lense and cables. While I'm not the type to use 500-1000 on a screen, I'm ok with spending 100-200. However, due to my size requirements, I don't think I can afford any pre-fabricated screens from real screen producers, and other options seem to complicated for me. (I've pretty much got 10 thumbs..)

I agree, I can skip the tape, and just frame it on the wall though. The velcro was in any case just intended to be on the outside of the frame, so I could fasten thicker black borders if I want to watch for instance 16:9 or 4:3 material.

I'll be using a digital projector.

Since my room has a white wall, I'll definitely give it a go first, to see if that works well. If it does, I may end up just hanging a black frame around it, and paint the rest of the wall :)
I was set on a screen myself when I got my projector. I first bought a huge sheet of formica, which was the only 5x8 material out there. I took it off I think "for decorative purposes" and had a slight shine. I took it off but boom. Beautiful picture on the wall. And when I painted it pure white, Fantastic. I had a CRT which looks great on a white wall. It must be a flat paint on that wall and very white. Not Navajo White, but an off white might give you a good enough idea til you paint. When I was done watching movies I hung my nice picture back on my 'screen'. I think if I were going with a digital projy I am sure I'd want a gray/silver screen so I'd probably go your route with a frame and mud it.

Well enjoy it. Its certainly fun watching movies on a big screen in your home.

I forget the slogan but I sort of agree with the principle that you don't have a home theater until you are measuring your screen size in feet instead of inches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For my theater, I originally painted a 4x8 sheet of hardboard with Behr Silverscree, White Opal Pearlesence, and Crystal-Clear Water Based Polyurethane Clear Matte. I was very disappointed with the results. I just applied the paint with a roller and there were marks clearly visible in bright scenes.

Since then I switched to a Parkland 4x8, unpainted and it looks fantastic! I would've gone with the 5x10 but I couldn't justify the price increase. I would highly recommend the Parkland route for anyone though.

BTW my projector is an HT1100 if that makes any difference to you.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Atomic Cow - I like the principle you are referring to :D

tbbuiler, thanks for the feedback! It's good to also get some input from actual Parkland owners! I'm currently considering the In Focus 4805, as well as looking for other projectors that can do vertical zoom. This enables me to use with a anamorphic lense, so I can use the entire imager in the projector, to display 2.35:1. (i.e. not wasting lines of the resolution on the black bars on the top and bottom). It's an intriguing way of setting it up, that I just stumbled across in one of the other forums on this board (actually the forum is dedicated to the concept, so I must have been out of the loop for a while :)

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
tomes,

I know this is probably stretching it for you, but check out this setup . It is a CRT with a Torus for $2750. Unfortunately, the screen is 4:3 and 80 inches wide. This would only give you 3 feet vertical, but the image is probably better than you will get from any digital setup in this price range. It is also a Torus screen, which will give you better uniformity.

Ericglo

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 4x8 parkland screen which I am using the rougher side with no additional painting. I spent a little extra to create a 2x6 frame around the outside of it and ended up spending ~$50 for the whole project. There are multiple screen comparisons on this forum and I noticed in a couple of them they didn't note a significant difference between a raw parkland screen and other "real" purchased screens.

Screen size really doesn't matter for HT. The more important thing to keep in mind is viewing distance with respect to the width (ex 1.5X or 2X).

I have a 4805 and am watching at 1.6X screen width. There is some SDE, but slightly defocusing takes care of this. I wouldn't recommend getting any closer than 1.5X and most people say 2X is the ideal for the 4805. If you had a 9.4' wide screen, you would have to sit at least 14' away and ideally would be 19' away. Think twice before using a 5x10 with the 4805.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Eric,

Funny is in the chicagoland area - and looks very interesting, but I'm still a couple of months(at least) away from pulling the trigger. Just looking at my options :)

Hi Viking, (ps; are you scandinavian? I'm Norwegian, so I can definitely call myself Viking too ;)

4805 is one of the alternatives, mainly since it can do vertical zoom. However, I think my Zenith 318 can do it too, which gives me other choices.

Any idea what the Gain on the Parkland is? I think I read somewhere 1.1, but can't find it now..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does anyone have a valid part number for the Parkland 5x10x.60" at Lowes?

I gave them 89103, which I found elsewhere on the forum, and they said it's an invalid number. I can't order it unless I have the exact part number...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve,

I didn't even know that Menards would sell these. I know they did not in the past. (4x8 they do though). Figured that Parkland may only want to sell these direct, for HT purposes. (at a "premium" of course)

-Tom

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,643 Posts
That's exactly what they want to do. I have the original 3 yr old emails, the one I sent to them asking for special consideration to be given to AVS'ers wishing to purchase 5' x 10' direct, and the one thanking me for cueing them in on the rising popularity of the Larger size, and speaking of being willing oblige us all.

Then, shortly thereafter, they posted a "Home Theater Screen" application, and the price per sq. ft. went up considerably for the "biggies".

It's still not too bad, but the experience is certainly another lesson in the commercial attidudes taken by most Mfg when a Cash Cow wlks in the door.

Ya gotta milk it for all it's worth.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So these can now be purchased direct from Parkland?

And, as a last ditch effort - does anyone know of the item # for Lowes or Home Depot for a similar Parkland product?

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, on their main page, you'll find references to home theater screens, and an order form (pdf I think) that you can fill in and fax them.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
he 5' x 10' is not 0.60 thick is it?? I would think more along the lines of .06 just wondered it was noted above.

Does lowes, menards, or homedepot sell 5x10 foot 3/4 or 1/2 mdf?

Which is better for MMUD ? MDF or Parkland? I worry that Parkland will bubble up unless I was to use some kind of counter top adhesive.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,643 Posts
Hi Don.

I've done both. The MDF is best if you can stand the weight.

The Parkland can be just fine with a back Coat of UPW-Gloss to keep all those lumens where they belong. A few have painted the rear with SM. 50% said it was the best ever Parkland app. 50% said they didn't see it that way. None ever shot more than 800-900- Mfg stated Lumens at it though. Most all were X1 owners.

That idea has real merit. And if you do paint the rear with either paint, and let it throughly dry first, by using an Elastomeric Adheasive Caulk such as "White Lightning" (HD) applied in 1/4' beads then troweled out across the "gaps" like you would a floor adheasive, then you can effectively get complete adheasion, and the "Repositional" consistancy of the fresh WL/EAC will allow you to flatten the Parkland completely. Just be sure to apply the Parkland like you would a window film or Formica veneer. Start from one end, and roll out the sheet, pressin' forward and away from you the entire time. Then, take a "clean" :rolleyes: paint roller and roll it out from the center to the closest edges.

It's gonna work, no problemo.

MDF? Try two, 4' long Hangmans, 1/3rd ways inward from the Top & Bottom,.... or get the screw gun out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.