AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant "kicking themselves"

I don't know if you've taken a look at last Sunday's ads, but for those people who thought that the 5020 was out of their price range, that may no longer be true, at least until the Superbowl.

For those who bought a lesser plasma less than 30 days ago, you may want to do an exchange if the price difference isn't too big.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'll keep my Sammy FPT-5084. Turns out there was one new in the box out back in the warehouse. $800+$200 for a 3 year in-home warr. BAM!!!

Might not be a Kuro, but it was a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/15592048

I don't know if you've taken a look at last Sunday's ads, but for those people who thought that the 5020 was out of their price range, that may no longer be true, at least until the Superbowl.

For those who bought a lesser plasma less than 30 days ago, you may want to do an exchange if the price difference isn't too big.

I noticed that too. But you have to realize lots of people are on a REALLY tight budget. For me, I needed to stay under $1K so many tvs, including the 5020 are out of reach. I wonder if Pioneer is starting to come to grips with the reality of the current market. As prevalent as they seem in these forums, there just aren't that many people willing or able to shell out over $3K for a tv these days. Keep the elites to secure that crowd but offer lesser models that are priced competitively.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My question is, is the price drop on the 5020 and 6020 temporary? I was hoping to hold out until spring. I don't want to be kicking myself later for not buying now at this great price.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/15593776

Yes, it is temporary. I am told the promotional allowance expires in 60 days.

-Robert

Any educated guess
as to whether Pioneer will soon be offering any similar promotional allowancs on the 6020? If the % discount being offered on the 5020 is offered on the 6020 then the 6020 is an option for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in this boat right now!!!

I have been agonizing about it all weekend. I bought a samsung pn50a650 last sunday and really wanted the 5020 but couldnt do 3500. Now I see it at 2100, still 700 more then I paid for my samsung. I just dont know if it is really worth the 700. I could buy alot of blu-rays for 700 bucks. maybe someone can chime in and help a fella out with the descision?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut /forum/post/15593694

My question is, is the price drop on the 5020 and 6020 temporary? I was hoping to hold out until spring. I don't want to be kicking myself later for not buying now at this great price.

Don't worry about it, in this economy the consumer has the upperhand. Use your power by not purchasing a display until they give you the price you want or close to it. "negotiate"

That is what happen with car purchases. The greater the demand the less price drop you're going to get.

My advice to you would be to wait! wait!

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vypr2002 /forum/post/15594287

I have been agonizing about it all weekend. I bought a samsung pn50a650 last sunday and really wanted the 5020 but couldnt do 3500. Now I see it at 2100, still 700 more then I paid for my samsung. I just dont know if it is really worth the 700. I could buy alot of blu-rays for 700 bucks. maybe someone can chime in and help a fella out with the descision?

If you could afford the extra $700, I would do it. I wouldn't worry about blu-rays, there aren't that many titles anyway. The 5020 is TV that will keep you happy for a while. If you can step up do it or else its going to bug you that you didn't. However, if you're one of those folks that need to keep up with the joneses and upgrade all the time, I would say wait.

Unfortunatly for me, I don't think I'm going to be totally happy with todays display technologies. I won't be content until can get a 55 inch SED or OLED display.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:

Only you can make that call......but personally, I would be reboxing that 650 as we speak, no question the upgrade is worth the $700. Just consider how hard you contemplated it at a much higher differential, now it's $1,400 closer.

Thats a 5020 1080p for the price I paid for my 5080......but I'm holding out for a similar deal on the 6020 or 151.....gotta go bigger next time around.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhunter /forum/post/15592574

I noticed that too. But you have to realize lots of people are on a REALLY tight budget. For me, I needed to stay under $1K so many tvs, including the 5020 are out of reach. I wonder if Pioneer is starting to come to grips with the reality of the current market. As prevalent as they seem in these forums, there just aren't that many people willing or able to shell out over $3K for a tv these days. Keep the elites to secure that crowd but offer lesser models that are priced competitively.

I wonder if some people will come to grips with reality and realize that even though they can't afford something, there are plenty of others that can. Just because you can only afford a Honda, doesn't mean Mercedes needs to lower their prices to Honda levels. At ~$2000, the Pioneer 5020 is priced VERY competitively.

I recently visited a BB and got into a discussion with the sales person there and he said, they sell Elite 141s at a ratio of 10 to 1 compared to the XBR8. And they said they've sold quite a few Elite 141s. So "in this economy," apparently people are willing to spend $5000-$7000 on a Pioneer plasma. And if they are, Pioneer has priced it right.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

It really depends how tight your budget is, but that's a CRAZY PRICE for the 5020, it's less that what people who worked at BB, Tweeter, etc paid for it.

If you can do it without starving to death, getting kicked out of your house/apartment, getting your car repoed, etc then I'd definately go for the Pioneer.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/15595679

It really depends how tight your budget is, but that's a CRAZY PRICE for the 5020, it's less that what people who worked at BB, Tweeter, etc paid for it.

If you can do it without starving to death, getting kicked out of your house/apartment, getting your car repoed, etc then I'd definately go for the Pioneer.

Agreed. That's just a startling good price on a 5020 period, but ESPECIALLY from an authorized B&M.

Although I've made up my mind on a 6020, the "new" 5020 price has made it tough. I wish THEY'D (the 6020's) see a similar price slash (say, around $3300, authorized?!). Always that premium on the BIG screen sizes, though!

James

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was just in BB, and was shocked to see the 111fd for sub-$3000. For $600 over the 5020, that's a hell of a deal.

- msc

·
Registered
673 Posts
having no idea what Pioneers cost are compared to Panny 800u and 850u.....

Seems to me they'd sell the Kuro like hot cakes if they'd price it at same price as the High End Panny's instead of way above that price.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
kinda hoping for one more cut into a 6020. They can be had in the 37-38 neighborhood, authorized. Anyone got any info on a similar "5020" price cut or a "better" deal? Please PM me!

thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/15592048

I meant "kicking themselves"

My advice would be to stop shopping at local B&M's. BB's price is nothing exceptional compared to online price fluctuations dating back to October (or even earlier, and especially factoring in tax).

1 - 20 of 100 Posts