AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Trying to get feed back from anyone who are using studiofoam or have used it in the past. Is it any good? What are other alternative to it?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy /forum/post/20620531

I am Trying to get feed back from anyone who are using studiofoam or have used it in the past. Is it any good? What are other alternative to it?

Auralex foam is easy to critiize on the grounds of price/performance. You can generally get more absorbtion for the money, particularly at low frequencies, using competitive products.

Making your sound sound absorbers based on panels of Dow Corning 703, 705 or competitive products give you much better price performance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20620620

Auralex foam is easy to critiize on the grounds of price/performance. You can generally get more absorbtion for the money, particularly at low frequencies, using competitive products.

Making your sound sound absorbers based on panels of Dow Corning 703, 705 or competitive products give you much better price performance.

At what price/performance do you refer to? At $60.00 for 32 pieces of 1'x1'x2", the Auralex would be cheaper than a DIY 703, 705.

Have you used it?

I am seeking information from anyone who has used it or have seen it installed.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy /forum/post/20622423

At what price/performance do you refer to? At $60.00 for 32 pieces of 1'x1'x2", the Auralex would be cheaper than a DIY 703, 705.

Have you used it?

That deal comes up from time to time, I've seen it as low as $50.

I attended an Auralex convention once, wasn't too impressed with the knowledge shown from the B&M dealer or the representative, really.

That said, those panels can be somewhat useful in absorbing frequencies above 500 Hz. I use light 2" pyramid foam treatments in my room to knock down slap echo. That is all 2" foam is good for, really. I will also be buying a stand alone 4-6" thick panel to absorb a near wall reflection that I have near my left speaker that isn't present on the right, for symmetry, and another for the wall 4 ft. behind my listening position.

I'm not a big fan of room treatments. I think that more attention should be paid to having speakers that play nice with the room, like constant directivity speakers and multiple scattered subs woofers which addresses the root cause of the problem. Positioning of the speakers and the listener should also be optimized.

Sometimes this cannot be done, then you may find yourself having to rely on treating the symptom instead of the sickness. In that case, the denser fiberglass or rockwool panels will give better results than foam. These need not be expensive. Diffusers should be examined too, not all sounds need to be absorbed.

Should you decide, after optimizing your set up, that you still need to treat your room, rather than placing panels pell mell and hoping for the best, I suggest you pose questions here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=255432 These guys will help you, and possibly cost you a bit of money.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy /forum/post/20622423

Not at 250 Hz and below.

Here's a good reference:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Compare 2" thick materials from above to:

hhttp://www.auralex.com/testdata/test/2wedge.pdf

Quote:
Have you used it?

I've used it and I've seen other people's use of it.

Quote:

I'm your guy!

Here is a picture of my last project:

The fact that this absorber worked well below 500 Hz including the effects of a 4" air space behind the 2" 705 panels, it has been a great success at mitigating reflections off of the front of the balcony in this room.

·
Registered
30,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/20622671

That said, those panels can be somewhat useful in absorbing frequencies above 500 Hz.

Yes and that effect can lead the inexperienced to think that effect means that the entire spectrum is being treated. This often leads to excessive absorption of mid- to high-frequencies, making the lower frequency problems relatively greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20622837

I'm your guy!

And he is one of many.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I have used it and am not a fan of Auralex's cheaper foam products. As has already been said, it does OK with HF absorption, but does little for even lower midrange and upper bass, where a lot of rooms have problems. I agree with Kal that it tends to deaden the higher frequencies and make the lower problems sound even worse as a result. If you only have HF slap echo and such it might be a good choice, but my somewhat educated guess (I have only done a few hundred installations over the years, not the thousands folk like Arny, Ethan, et. al. can claim) says it is not the right choice for most of us. You end up with "unbalanced" sound.

Another issue I have seen in the past is that the foam (most any foam, not just Auralex) tends to decay over time. That is, it tends to dry out, stiffen up, and crumble. Mineral wool and OC70x hold up much better over time (5 - 10 years), again IME. There are specially formulated and/or treated foams that do well, but they tend to be hard to find and pricey. Finally, I prefer covered panels as they tend to look better over time and are easier to keep clean. Some of the uncovered "eggcrate" foam products get dusty quickly and you can't easily clean them so they look like heck after just a year or two. Maybe you can live with that at home, but not in the pro world, nor even with my wife.

FWIWFM - Don

·
Banned
1,569 Posts

Quote:

I am Trying to get feed back from anyone who are using studiofoam or have used it in the past. Is it any good?

For studios, not so much. For home, fuggetaboutit.

Quote:

What are other alternative to it?

Better loudspeakers.

cheers,

AJ

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20622858

Yes and that effect can lead the inexperienced to think that effect means that the entire spectrum is being treated. This often leads to excessive absorption of mid- to high-frequencies, making the lower frequency problems relatively greater.

Kal,

People often go overboard with panels AND bass traps.

2" foam panels are not going to do a whole lot of good or harm. The 2" and thicker fiberglass and rockwool, on the other hand, I can agree with you on.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/20622962

I have used it and am not a fan of Auralex's cheaper foam products. As has already been said, it does OK with HF absorption, but does little for even lower midrange and upper bass, where a lot of rooms have problems. I agree with Kal that it tends to deaden the higher frequencies and make the lower problems sound even worse as a result. If you only have HF slap echo and such it might be a good choice, but my somewhat educated guess (I have only done a few hundred installations over the years, not the thousands folk like Arny, Ethan, et. al. can claim) says it is not the right choice for most of us. You end up with "unbalanced" sound.

Another issue I have seen in the past is that the foam (most any foam, not just Auralex) tends to decay over time. That is, it tends to dry out, stiffen up, and crumble. Mineral wool and OC70x hold up much better over time (5 - 10 years), again IME. There are specially formulated and/or treated foams that do well, but they tend to be hard to find and pricey. Finally, I prefer covered panels as they tend to look better over time and are easier to keep clean. Some of the uncovered "eggcrate" foam products get dusty quickly and you can't easily clean them so they look like heck after just a year or two. Maybe you can live with that at home, but not in the pro world, nor even with my wife.

FWIWFM - Don

Hello, Don.

If we are going to send the OP down the rabbit hole of room treatments, diffusion should also be brought to the table.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA
For studios, not so much. For home, fuggetaboutit.

Better loudspeakers.

cheers,

AJ
I believe that I have a good set of speakers in Paradigm Studio 20 and CC-490 for my LCR, plus Atoms for Surround duties.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67
Hello, Don.

If we are going to send the OP down the rabbit hole of room treatments, diffusion should also be brought to the table.
I agree with your diffusion comment, as absorption alone is not enough.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the informative comments, I believe that what you buy should reflect what the room needs. For me spending $60.00 to find out if a product works or don't work is the cost of 2 bluray. At least I will have the knowledge to help others in a similar position.

I have made couple DIY absorbers and they perform well in my opinion, but in the quest to improve what you have you will experiment with what is out there until you are as satisfied as you will be.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy
I believe that I have a good set of speakers in Paradigm Studio 20 and CC-490 for my LCR, plus Atoms for Surround duties.
Whats wrong with their sound? Are you in a studio?

cheers,

AJ

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67
Hello, Don.

Hey tesseract67,

I just answered the question, no more, no less. I must note that, judging by the early-morning cartoons of my youth, like Bugs Bunny, there are some awfully nice rabbit holes around!

I agree diffusion should be considered; I wish I had more in my room. The catch with diffusion is most diffusor panels cost significantly more than bass traps (for good reason as they take a lot more to design and fabricate) and you need very large ones to do anything in the bass region (usually size-prohibitive in most homes). It is not all that hard to build decent diffusors, and that is probably what I will do in the next few years. IME a mix of LF absorbers, broadrange absorbers, and mid-to-upper frequency diffusors provides the best overall sound... Always assuming the listener needs/wants any of that anyway!

I should restate my bias toward "dead" rooms since I get called on it all the time. My room is very dead, exactly as I intended. Any ambiance is in the recording, not the room. I am well aware of the pro/con debate of that approach, nor do I insist anybody else do the same. I have found most rooms benefit from a little treatment, but it's up to the listener to decide what and where. Also, I tend to link Ethan's site not because he sells panels, but because there's a lot of information on his site that is easier for the layman to read. Kinetics, Mason and others have plenty of info, often in more detail, but it is more intimidating to the average audiophile.

All imo, my 0.000001 cents, ymmv, fwiwfm, etc. - Don

p.s. Most of my comments are directed toward audiophile use, not studio. One would hope studios would be using an acoustic designer... For a studio, my only relevant comments are about their durability and aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have used Auralex sound 2" sound wedges in my previous home theatre. I haven't setup my HT at my current place. I am fairly novice at room treatments and bought and installed the Auralex sound on the advice of a friend. Here is what I like about them:

- apparently they do not burn / catch fire (according to Auralex of course)

- I used quilting pins to "nail" them to the drywall vs gluing them. It was easy and my old room was fairly narrow (13.5' with 8' wide worth of seating) so the Soundwedges didn't stick out too much which would have affected the fairly narrow 2.5' aisles. I easily removed the quilting pins and sound wedges when I moved.

- I did have slap echo and these helped with that

- "imaging" is one of my listening priorities and used the sound wedges at first reflections and this helped greatly.

- although the sound wedges are being stored right now, they still look like new after about 7-8 years.

When I get around to rebuilding my HT, I will use a combination of DIY panels and will reuse the Sound Wedges. I actually kind of like the high tech look of the sound wedges with no fabric on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA
Whats wrong with their sound? Are you in a studio?

cheers,

AJ
AJ, I am very happy with how they sound. I am thinking of getting a pair of Studio 10 for my wides.

I wanted to know about the Auralex as I could not find any review about them.

No I am not in a studio.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richandy /forum/post/20624485

AJ, I am very happy with how they sound.

Then I'm not quite sure why you need this foam. What is it's non-sound purpose or function?
Quote:

I am thinking of getting a pair of Studio 10 for my wides.

Wides??? As in additional channels for front stage ASW...or "widening" of the apparent source in front of you? That seems rather bizarre, given what I think you are seeking foam for.
Quote:

I wanted to know about the Auralex as I could not find any review about them.

Fair enough. There seems to be plenty of the padded cell types around here.
Quote:

No I am not in a studio.

Then perhaps you might want to read and digest this , which specifically addresses the difference between production(studio) and reproduction(living room...or isolation cell
), especially in living room sized spaces. Or not.

Any pics of you setup? Loudspeaker type, position, etc?

How much live acoustic music, like classical, jazz, big band, etc. do you attend, where none of the instruments run on electricity?

cheers,

AJ

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AJ,

I just returned from a benefit function that had a very good Jazz live band, I do know the different sounds from different non powered instruments, I am learning to play the sax. Now movie room sound is quite good in my opinion, and most of the time it is used for that purposes. In this hobby of mine, as I call it, I am always looking out for improvements, hens the reason I wanted to find out about the Auralex foam. Not having any experiences with them, I posed the question to incite responces to gain the experiences of others. In the same breath, people will differ with their experience, regardless of what the Measurements says. Every room is different and everyone has a different goal to accomplish per their room. With that said, using wides in a movies setting produces a larger front stage, but with stereo music the results is quite different. If you take a SACD multiple channel recording then the sound using wides is quite good, some will disagree, but that is my opinion.

I feel that spending a small sum to gain a first hand experience goes a very long way, as I will have a reference to go back to. If the cost was much higher then I would think otherwise.

In closing I will give this example about the Onkyo 3008 AVR. Just about every magazine that I read gave it five stars or Top pick, but none said any thing about the quality problems associated with it. I had two units that went bad in the space of 30 days. Now, this forum have so many owners experiencing all sorts of problems with it. Some time first hand experience is better than just reading about it.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts