Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an older thread on this forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=shootout

Oren Jacob talks about calibrating his Z1 with AVIA and the poor results he got while watching Toy Story, which he had personally worked on, so he knew what it should look like. He ended up calibrating his Z1 by eye and achieved much better results, and concluded that AVIA was poorly suited for LCD calibration...

But I read a lot of posts from people here who calibrate with AVIA. Are there some AIVIA options that are useful with LCDs, or is there a better calibration disc to use?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I tried to calibrate my X1 with Digital Video Essentials. It's good for setting brightness and contrast but just about worthless for setting color. I spent at least 30 minutes trying to get the RGB gains correct as seen through the supplied RGB filters. The result was horrible. I just reset the color controls back to default and they look fine so that's where I'm leaving them.

Bottom line: who cares if the colors aren't perfect. Do they look good enough? Proper brightness and contrast are more important anyway on these digital PJs, IMO.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think AVIA has the tendency to set the color levels too high, even on CRT; it can make the image look cartoonish at times. I couldn't use it on my RPTV, it wanted to set it so high; it works OK on my HS10, maybe a little oversaturated.

It is excellent for the other test patterns, though

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I used Avia to calibrate my PT-L200U. The results were close to the default settings and I found the PQ very good. After I added a ND2 filter and CC05M filter to improve blacks and eliminate green push I recalibrated. Brightness and contrast each increased slightly and the PQ is stunning, even on my matte white screen. I have used Avia on every TV in my house (except for the 13-incher in the kitchen). I can't imagine getting a new display device and not calibrating it with Avia. I have to disagree with Kevin -- I find the colors to look natural and not at all overblown.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Like BMAG, I used AVIA to calibrate my 200u and was extremely pleased with the final result. I first tried the eye-ball calibration and did like what I achieved, but after AVIA, I was much more impressed.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How did everyone adjust the colors using avia and their htpc? I tried to set up a friends X1 with the avia disk, but when using a vga input, none of the color controls are accesible. So, I used windvd's color controls and everything went to crap. Any htpc users out there that have calibrated the vga signal?

Russ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.