AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Best Buy shut Magnolias Kent,Wa headquaters and shut several freestanding Magnolia Audio Video stores it makes me wonder whats next for Magnolia.

I have heard rumors that Best Buy want to close its mini Magnolias inside Best Buy stores as well. Anyone heard this?

Does Best Buy still have plans to expand the Magnolia brand? They were supposed to open a store in Chicago,Il.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i know most Best Buys in the Chicago suburbs have a Magnolia in them. ive never seen a stand-alone Magnolia, and am pretty familiar with the Chicago area

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Why would they Buy Magnolia for millions just to shut it down. Wouldn't make any sense at all.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I was speaking with a area manager this weekend. He said they are planning on quite the opposite. They want to expand Magnolia within BB stores. He also said they were in negotiations with a few well known "high-end" brands to allow BB/Mag to sell their products. I'm not in the "know" I just talk with this individual every-now-and-then. He has told me things in the past that have come true.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16931241

Why would they Buy Magnolia for millions just to shut it down. Wouldn't make any sense at all.

If its losing millions more, it does make sense

I have no idea but its a good reason to shut down any business.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
They are expanding, not retracting.

They will be carrying things like Control 4, Onkyo, Rel, Audioquest, JVC HD350/750, and theres talk of Monitor Audio, and Sonus Faber.

They're also going back to old in that there will be associates mandated to strictly Magnolia, and will be properly trained (if needed), where as before, they could care less. They have just invested a large sum on revamping all the studios, and they also now have brand managers for each district (or something like that), where as before there was like one person for half the country.

There is also talk of carrying things like mini kaleidascape.

I don't think they are going anywhere. Also, if this works, all those people that took paycuts will be getting their old titles back, along with their pay. There is even talk of bringing back commissions if all this sparks MHT.

Oh, and they also will be able to correspond with their design centers to acquire things like Mcintosh, Primare etc, for thta customer looking to go all out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yup, I'm in the Dallas area and we are working at trying to get a Magnolia AV in our area. I think it would be great, because this is definitely a market that could use one. I've only seen pictures of the one in Chicago, but I think ours would be very similar.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
I remember the Magnolia HiFi store I used to shop at before BB bought them out. The one in S. Everett Wa. Great place to shop for audio equipment. They had people who actually knew what they were talking about - well - most of them - they were constantly trying to pawn off Monster cable to everyone at the grossly inflated prices. I'd always ask them for documentation proving they were better. That usually stopped that crap.

I spent a lot of money in there over the years before buying on the internet became all the rage.

·
Banned
496 Posts
The stand alone stores on the west coast have just added the Arcam brand.

They seem to be trying to expand.

No wonder in the past couple of months when I would call the only Bay Area dealer I am aware of about Arcam and where I have purchased other audio gear, they seemed to do a 180 on the brand. Not at all like they have been in years past in regards to Arcam.

Three weeks later I find out about the Magnolia deal. Seems this isn't going over well with them...?

Rick

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16932875

I remember the Magnolia HiFi store I used to shop at before BB bought them out. The one in S. Everett Wa. Great place to shop for audio equipment. They had people who actually knew what they were talking about - well - most of them - they were constantly trying to pawn off Monster cable to everyone at the grossly inflated prices. I'd always ask them for documentation proving they were better. That usually stopped that crap.

I spent a lot of money in there over the years before buying on the internet became all the rage.

Just letting you know. We're selling through Monster Audio and getting Audioquest
I'm excited.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Too bad the sales at Magnolia doesn't seem to want to make a sale with me. They just ignore me completely from the time I walked in to the time I left. They probably just thought what does this youngster know about high end audio...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933397

Too bad the sales at Magnolia doesn't seem to want to make a sale with me. They just ignore me completely from the time I walked in to the time I left. They probably just thought what does this youngster know about high end audio...

BINGO!!!

That is why a few years ago (like 8) I loved living in Seattle. I only lived there one year, but it is the only place in this country where no matter how I looked I got the same service as everyone else. You know why? Because they had IT millionaires that came from every walks of life. They knew that the unshaved "kid" with a crappy cap and flip-flops might have a few millions in the bank. I didn't, but the point is equal treatment no matter what.

Tried to get an answer at Magnolia's the other day - didn't even get a glance from the two people in there.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The stand alone MHT was shut down here in Santa Rosa because it was underperforming. A Best Buy is in the same shopping center. It doesn't have an in house MHT but recently opened their in house music store. The nearest MHT is inside a BB about 40 miles south of here.

The MHT had a bit of Monster but mostly sold Audioquest cable and accessories already. This is in contrast to what has been posted above saying that Mag was going to start selling AQ. At least that's what it read like to me.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr /forum/post/16937677

The stand alone MHT was shut down here in Santa Rosa because it was underperforming. A Best Buy is in the same shopping center. It doesn't have an in house MHT but recently opened their in house music store. The nearest MHT is inside a BB about 40 miles south of here.

The MHT had a bit of Monster but mostly sold Audioquest cable and accessories already. This is in contrast to what has been posted above saying that Mag was going to start selling AQ. At least that's what it read like to me.

No MHT has carried Audioquest for about 3 years now. Not most MHT's, all. MAV's, however, have been, and do carry AQ.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/16938150

No MHT has carried Audioquest for about 3 years now. Not most MHT's, all. MAV's, however, have been, and do carry AQ.

I have not seen audioquest in any BB/MHT in 2 years now in nh/ma. wonder whats up with that--in fact when they stopped selling them around here i bought a buttload of king cobras/diamondbacks at 50% off.

arcam and no interest financing would be dangerous for me. esp with the avp 888 out and no hdmi or room eq on my current parasound. For being in such a remote area we do have a couple of higher end dealers around in tax free nh with macintosh, arcam, rotel, cary, b&w, thiel, krell, quad, basis, naim, sonus, jlaudio, etc. It would probably not work out so well for the smaller dealers to have the likes of MHT to compete with. then again, most people going into my local BB arent looking to drop 6k on a prepro.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933397

agreed--this sucks and is inexcusable--while I can claim no ethnic bias I do tend to be casual while shopping (aka slobbery also breeds snobbery). snobbery is ridiculous--whether at the local high end store (where it tends to be worst) or at a bigger box store. i guess they just dont want my money. oh well. It seems to me at magnolia the local training sucks--i cant believe how knowledge deficient they are--the chicago mag people seemed better. I asked an empoyee about ht projectors and she brought me out of the mht section and pointed me to where the laptop pj's were...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/16938254

agreed--this sucks and is inexcusable--while I can claim no ethnic bias I do tend to be casual while shopping (aka slobbery also breeds snobbery). snobbery is ridiculous--whether at the local high end store (where it tends to be worst) or at a bigger box store. i guess they just dont want my money. oh well. It seems to me at magnolia the local training sucks--i cant believe how knowledge deficient they are--the chicago mag people seemed better. I asked an empoyee about ht projectors and she brought me out of the mht section and pointed me to where the laptop pj's were...

That's funny, sad, and ridiculous all at the same time.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16934496

Tried to get an answer at Magnolia's the other day - didn't even get a glance from the two people in there.

Well the fact that I was checking out the Vienna Acoustics instead of the JBL should mean something, but they didn't get the clue.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts