AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is BestBuy's 2-year replacement plan on 80GB PS3 a good deal or bad deal?

Do they really just give you a new one immediately if your old one becomes

defective?

I did purchase the plan because the BB employee told me I can get a refund

within 30 days.(also, she said I should look at it as a great "upgrade plan"

but I didn't understand what she meant...)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Replacement plans are how BB makes its profit. If you want to buy a replacement plan, try the on-line ones: www.squaretrade.com and see if they can offer a better warranty.

Also most CC (Credit cards, not circuit city) offer to double the warranty of any item you buy, so in some cases it may not be worth it.

The ps3 works pretty well so I wouldn't even bother, but hey it's up to you if you want the peace-of-mind.

-Splints

·
Registered
225 Posts
They'll give you a new one or a gift card with your purchase price if you want another model (hence the upgrade plan comment).

They'll refund you for unused months on the plan if you decide you don't want it down the line. Personally, I don't think it's worth it at 80 bucks.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Personally I feel any extended warranty is a ripoff.

You're better off with an American Express card and building up a good credit rating. With any Amex card they also offer the benefit of their "Buyer's Protection Plan" where any item you purchase with it they will extend the warranty for another year for free.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Costco is another good option if you are a member. Their consumer electronics are covered under their "lifetime satisfaction" policy (except TV's and computers). If you don't mind paying for a bundle, it's a good way to go.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It will also depend on the store when you have a problem. Some stores are more understanding than others.

Would Costco consider the PS3 a computer??? I bet some stores will say it is and not allow you to use that policy.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
in Canada Best buy only offers the Product Service Plan on PS3s and 360s.. they do not offer the replacement plan.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Bottom line it is a peace of mind. If your system breaks it does exactly what itis supposed to do. It covers you the first year even though you have a warranty and then another year after it is out of warranty. It is what it is and for as many people that say it isn't needed their are just as many who say it is for the convience to walk into any Best Buy and say replace my **** and walked out the door gaming that same day vs waiting to send it off to either replace with a refurb or whatever the case is. Nothing beats walkiing about the door the same day you **** goes down. It can happen which is why it is a peace of mind. If anyone here can afford to own a PS3 with as much game/movie purchase you buy for it and you use this system daily I don't see how this "option" is not a benefit. Don't be that guy opening a thread complaining about their system broke on them after a year and wishing they went with somthing other than the standard warranty to either find out they are out of the timeframe or the warranty didn't cover it to begin with.

No one here can tell you what is good or bad for you to do with your own product. We don't know how much patients you have. Read what all your options and benefits it offers and make a decision.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/12910369

If you buy at target a 3 year warranty is $30

If you use a mastercard, they usually double your warranty. Thats 2 years, though, its probably more of a hassle than best buys RPP.

http://www.target.com/3-Year-Extende...arranty&page=1

+1. Had a defective PS3 covered under this 3 year plan. Customer service on the phone spoke ENGLISH!!!
and they sent me a prepaid shipping box to send in the PS3, and 2 days later I got a call saying it couldn't be fixed so I was being sent a giftcard of the price I paid so I could go back to Target and get another one. Very quick turnaround, very good customer service.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonb10 /forum/post/12911866

PS3 isn't covered by Costco's lifetime gaurantee

This is direct from Costco's website (return policy/membership info.):

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

·
Registered
1 Posts
actually i have been considering buying a BB plan but i didn't know they had replacement plans. How much did you get your for? I've been reading around and i read that some 60gb bought in the begin of 2007 start to have drive failures and i want to be covered

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/12910041

Personally I feel any extended warranty is a ripoff.

You're better off with an American Express card and building up a good credit rating. With any Amex card they also offer the benefit of their "Buyer's Protection Plan" where any item you purchase with it they will extend the warranty for another year for free.

Then you havent owned a Samsung DLP!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I work for geeksquad in a bestbuy and trust you got a good deal. Here's why. I've only been there for about 3 months and i've seen more ps3 returned for service than 360's. Usually they die with a game inside also. But yeah they help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier /forum/post/12926051

I work for geeksquad in a bestbuy and trust you got a good deal. Here's why. I've only been there for about 3 months and i've seen more ps3 returned for service than 360's. Usually they die with a game inside also. But yeah they help.

'

If I get the 2-year replacement plan for my PS3 and it dies with a game

inside the console, how do I get the game back? (since the replacement

plan provides a new unit instantly)

Another question... since you work at Geeksquad, I'd like to know if the

policy is the same at all BestBuy stores... I have a 11-month-old Samsung

46" LCD TV with a BestBuy PSP plan. It has so far been repaired 3 times.

First two times they had replaced the entire LCD panel. I was told it the

part and labor was actually than what I had originall paid for the TV itself.

The TV just died again....
I was told that I would get a replacement unit

under the BestBuy no-lemon policy. However, it would be a "comparable"

model, as in another Samsung 46" LCD TV. However, the current prices for

the most expensive model is still $1170 lower than what I had paid for it

just 11 months ago. Is there a way for me to get the full credit in the amount

that I originally paid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Electronics depreciate. Even with it being less money, it would still be equal in specs if not better than what you purchased. So you are still getting an upgrade.

I would still ask them about it though, but I wouldn't be expecting it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector /forum/post/12936041

'

If I get the 2-year replacement plan for my PS3 and it dies with a game

inside the console, how do I get the game back? (since the replacement

plan provides a new unit instantly)

Another question... since you work at Geeksquad, I'd like to know if the

policy is the same at all BestBuy stores... I have a 11-month-old Samsung

46" LCD TV with a BestBuy PSP plan. It has so far been repaired 3 times.

First two times they had replaced the entire LCD panel. I was told it the

part and labor was actually than what I had originall paid for the TV itself.

The TV just died again....
I was told that I would get a replacement unit

under the BestBuy no-lemon policy. However, it would be a "comparable"

model, as in another Samsung 46" LCD TV. However, the current prices for

the most expensive model is still $1170 lower than what I had paid for it

just 11 months ago. Is there a way for me to get the full credit in the amount

that I originally paid?

Thanks!

I worked for Best Buy for 6 years and up until earlier last year I appreciate Circuit Citys City Advantage Plan much better.

"3 or 5 year service plan options"

"In home service"

"3 time lemon law not isolated to 3 of the same repairs"

"If your display cannot be repaired then you can go with any display you want and you will have credit for what you paid for the product. In addition, you will not lose the your city advantage. For example, if you have a 5 year plan and in 2 years your display goes out "lets say it is a surge" you will get refunded for the remaining 3 years for that city advantage which would benefit the customer to use that money towards the new city advantage that will cover the new display they decide to go with."

Best Buy's service plan.

"3 time lemon law of the same. It has to be a repair of the same thing during the life of the service plan."

"In home service parts and labor"

"If your display cannot be repaired they will replace it with a comparable unit ONLY if the unit you had is no longer available."

"You lose any remaining years you had for the service plan." Meaning you pay full price for a new service plan. Hey they did honor what was stated with the agreement.

Bottom line research your options about long term investments.

Not only are you shopping around for the best deal on a display but consumers need to start opening their eyes to these long term investments and make a sound decision if they are going to go with a service plan or not and know what options they have. Just because someone gets a display cheaper than what the competitor offers doesn't make it the best deal if you don't fully research your long term options.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts