AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 subwoofers, 12" Sony WM-40 , and 10 " Acoustic Research S10ho.

I've had the 12" Sony hooked up and the other is set away in it's box.

Just wondered your thoughts on using each.

I have 5.1 system, with BIC DV62 front and center and Optimus 7 surrounds.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Jeff

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
All things being equal, a larger driver will be able to play louder without unwanted levels of distortion.

All things are never equal.

you'd have to listen to them for yourself or find objective reviews of the particular speakers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Short answer. Yes, but...

It really depends on the quality of the driver and amp. If you have a 15" driver, but was made of poor materials with a poor ability to drive, then it's not going to be better. I believe if you have two subs, one with a 10" driver and one with a 15" driver but made with similar materials and both with more than adequate power for an amp, the 15" should be superior to the 10" any day of the week. You should be able to hit the sub-20Hz ranges with ease as well.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 /forum/post/19503825

I have 2 subwoofers, 12" Sony WM-40 , and 10 " Acoustic Research S10ho.

I've had the 12" Sony hooked up and the other is set away in it's box.

Just wondered your thoughts on using each.

I have 5.1 system, with BIC DV62 front and center and Optimus 7 surrounds.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Jeff

Nothing specific about your two subs, but in general, a bigger box with a bigger driver should equal better performance. While frequently not recommended, it may be possible to use both subs at the same time.

Otherwise, you can just substitute the 10 inch and see if you like it better than the Sony. If not, you can just keep on with the Sony. Doesn't sound like you are looking to spend any money.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19504013

Nothing specific about your two subs, but in general, a bigger box with a bigger driver should equal better performance. While frequently not recommended, it may be possible to use both subs at the same time.

Otherwise, you can just substitute the 10 inch and see if you like it better than the Sony. If not, you can just keep on with the Sony. Doesn't sound like you are looking to spend any money.

Actually, my search for new Denon 3311 receiver with MultEq XT, ended with suggestion that upgrade to speakers might be in order. (BIC DV62 front and center, Optimus Pro 7 rear.) So that speaker replacement suggestion led to me thinkng about subwoofer too.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just get a splitter from Radio Shack or monoprice.com and run both subwoofers simultaneously. That should help. I am suprised the the S10HO is still working because a number of the S12HOs died after a few years.

I suggest that you give a budget for what you are willing to pay for the front three speakers.

The DV62s could become your surrounds if they are better than the Optimus 7s.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19504379

I suggest that you give a budget for what you are willing to pay for the front three speakers.

The DV62s could become your surrounds if they are better than the Optimus 7s.

The BIC DV62s are WAY better than the the Optimus Pro 7's. But now I'm thinking if I should keep the fronts, and just upgrade the satellites. The Front and center speakers have been VERY highly rated budget speakers. The rear Optimus 7's are small cheap 4" speakers from Radio Shack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts