AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I checked with a light meter and found commando cloth a little darker than my black felt. Rose Brand has it for a reasonable price.

No reason felt couldn't be darker as it has a little more texture, but mine was not.
http://www.rosebrand.com/

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I would go with the duvatyne as it is fire retardant.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW

Check this thread: http://www.digitaltheater.com/cfb/in...FB=1&TID=47925

Felt worked great for me.

------------------

David Ferris

Go Army!

Barco RetroGraphics801, Dishnet5000, Fosgate3A, Proscan 8680Z and Sampo 620 DVD, Mitsubishi HS-423UR SVHS, NHT speakers.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Don't use felt. As Juan alluded, it is more flamable than is duvatyne. Nothing worse than a hot evening in at the movies turning into a flaming night at the movies. Evision explaining it to your insurance agent...

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I read about lining your RPTV with duvatyne to reduce internal reflections and increase black level. However, duvatyne is hard to find and is more costly than black felt. Therefore, would black felt be as effective in accomplishing the same results as duvatyne.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Andrew,

Read all the post, regular black felt is not fire retardant. Why would you take a chance on your expensive HDTV, I think safety and peace of mind should be worth the extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and already lined my HDTV with black felt. I only saw Dean's Roddey's reply to my message if favor of felt before installing it. Also, there is tweak listed on the keohi HDTV forum about using black felt to line a RPTV. I guess I should have waited for a greater sample of replys.

Do all of you who stated that felt is more flammable than duvatyne think I should pull the felt out for safety purposes? Can the felt really increase the risk of fire? If so, I can easily remove it as I used velcro as a fastener. Thanks for your concern.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that one reason felt was not a good choice was because after time & exposure to higher temps that it will "dry rot" and flake particles into the chassis.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I would also be concerned about the effects of heat over time which will make it more dangerous. Take a scrap piece of it outside and put some flame to it and see how it burns. I know that there is (normally) no flame in an RPTV, but I didn't want to suggest an experiment in your oven (oops, I just did ;)). I have lined the walls and ceiling of part of my home theater with black felt to eliminate reflections and knock out peripheral vision. It is awesome, but I worry about its safety. I mean, curtains have to be more flame retardant than is felt by law don't they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.