AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into replacing a fixed screen and purchasing a motorized screen. In reading lots of posts here their seams to be a lot more buzz about high gain over matt white screens. Is the buzz because they just look brighter? Are you fooled into thinking brighter is better? Just like when you go into a retail store to look at TV's you’re instantly drawn to the brightest one, even though it isn't set properly. Can the same analogy be used with high gain screens? If I have total light control and using DVD Standard had to reduce pj brightness on a regular white screen, should I even consider a high gain? Lastly, is it true that any color of a screen, other that white, affects the colors seen on the screen?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
If you enjoy it more is it better? yes

I am now telling people to shoot for between 20 - 40 foot lamberts of brightness. The old standard of 14-16 simply isn't bright enough. It's straining on the eyes and is annoyingly dull. With source material getting better and better (better telecine and HDTV) the snap of more foot lamberts just makes sense and is more involving.

In the end it's up to you to judge but I'll bet that 99 out of 100 that see HDTV at 40 ft lamberts will prefer it over 16 in a side by side comparison.

Also many of these newer Higher contrast DLPs only have about 300 true lumens. You simply cannot get a healthy looking image on an 8 -10 foot screen with a lower power screen. Especially with ANY light on in the room

if you want 1 gain screen get a 2000 lumen projector or more!

yes, every color other than white changes the color either brighter or duller.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
plasmas are 60 foot lamberts and up! nobody say their fatiguing . they just keep buying them.

FL= lumens x screen gain/square feet

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
you can ballpark the manufacturers rated spec by

60% for DLP

80% for LCOS

90 % for LCD

take off another 10-20% if calibrated

these of course are generalizations, manufacturers may vary

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
plasmas are 60 foot lamberts and up! nobody say their fatiguing . they just keep buying them.
People don't watch plasmas in the dark. I bet they'd be too bright if they did.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I believe SMPTE spec of 16 ftL is without film in the gate; it drops quite a bit (20-50%) once you actually put film in the PJ...

As for joe's measurements:

800 x 1.3=1040

(I assume these are inches?) 57.5" x 77.5"=4456.25 (divide by 144 to get sq. ft.)=30.95 ft2

1040/ 30.95=33.6 ftL

·
Registered
828 Posts
[As for joe's measurements:

800 x 1.3=1040

(I assume these are inches?) 57.5" x 77.5"=4456.25 (divide by 144 to get sq. ft.)=30.95 ft2

1040/ 30.95=33.6 ftL

thank you so much Kevin so i guess the 33.6 ftl are more than enough even if i lose a % of lumen's after calibration correct

thanks again Kevin :)

·
Premium Member
17,233 Posts
This is a good related thread:
I just measured 20+ fL

I wondered how bright my mega-screen might measure:
Quote:
Many would suspect that my screen would be very low: Marquee 8000, c=40, b=40, 12'x8' drywall painted white. Any guestimates on the ftL?
and the estimate came back:
Quote:
I would suspect you are 5fL or less on your drywall.
My insecurities inspired my 225 lumen CRT vs 1200 lumen LCD test .

Quote:
Tryg:

You simply cannot get a healthy looking image on an 8 -10 foot screen with a lower power screen. Especially with ANY light on in the room
I admire and respect Tryg's scientific approach, but I wouldn't call my 8'x12' (14' diagonal) screen "unhealthy looking", and most of the time I watch HDTV with 5 out of 6 of the basement lights on.

Tasteless? yes. Uncalled for? yes. Childish? yes (my boys love it!) Admired by everyone who see's it in person? yes.

But "unhealthy looking"?

-Clarence

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.