AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the one downfall of my job is I have to drive past a Fry's everyday to and from work. It literally is on the way home and there is no way around it.

I find myself biting my lip everyday because I want to go in and look at the movies after work. If I go look, I come out with 'something.' If I can't find a movie I want, I then look for a movie that I might like to own.

I have a stack of 10 movies I haven't even watched yet at home, and I want to buy more

Is there an HD-DVD/BD anonymous club or something?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think it certainly can become an addiction, and for some it is already a disease. Any time you find yourself in a position where you want to buy something to "support the format" instead of "enjoy the movie" you know you have caught the HD Disease. It is actually pretty widespread when you look at both camps respective "Buy an X Disc day." People who are willing to spend their hard earned money on something they may never even watch are pretty disgusting when you think about all the people in the world who don't have anything. I'd rather send my money to them than buy a movie which will stay in shrinkwrap forever or only be watched once. Kids of the world need my support a lot more than an optical disk format does.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux /forum/post/0

I think it certainly can become an addiction, and for some it is already a disease. Any time you find yourself in a position where you want to buy something to "support the format" instead of "enjoy the movie" you know you have caught the HD Disease. It is actually pretty widespread when you look at both camps respective "Buy an X Disc day." People who are willing to spend their hard earned money on something they may never even watch are pretty disgusting when you think about all the people in the world who don't have anything. I'd rather send my money to them than buy a movie which will stay in shrinkwrap forever or only be watched once. Kids of the world need my support a lot more than an optical disk format does.

I'm format neutral. I don't buy it to support either format. In fact as of Tuesday, I'm nearly split. 35/ 29 (BD/HD)

And I do watch the movies... A lot in fact. I just have a Queue of ones I haven't seen that I gradually dip into. The reason it's so big now is because of Tuesday

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 /forum/post/0

Is buying HDM discs an addiction?

Like crack cocaine for video geeks.

Quote:

Joining Netflix might alleviate some of the desire to buy things and reduce your overall costs. I've probably looked at pieces of close to 90% of the releases for both formats, even though I haven't watched that many in full.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
When I quit buying DVDs I told myself that I was going to be more picky about which titles I bought in HD. Sadly, I have already succumbed to the BD/HD DVD addiction several times as evidenced by several of the titles in my collection. Oh well what can you do?

·
Registered
686 Posts
it is most certainly an addiction.

having to explain each and every purchase; wanting more before you've used up everything you have; buying a bunch at a time to save cash; calling up your 'dealer' to see if they've got the new stuff in yet; hitting up as many 'dealers' as you can to get the best price; selling your first-born child for some new 'hardware'...

the list goes on.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm addicted and absolutely loving it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:

I think the one downfall of my job is I have to drive past a Fry's everyday to and from work. It literally is on the way home and there is no way around it.

I find myself biting my lip everyday because I want to go in and look at the movies after work. If I go look, I come out with 'something.' If I can't find a movie I want, I then look for a movie that I might like to own.

I have a stack of 10 movies I haven't even watched yet at home, and I want to buy more

LOL! I have this exact same addiction. And it's a Fry's as well. The park and ride for the train is right across the street from it!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux /forum/post/0

Er... I don't think you read his post. I didn't read anywhere in his post where he said he was buying only a single format to give his support. In fact, just the opposite. He said "HD-DVD/BD". So I guess I don't really get your rant.

For the record, I also buy and watch both formats. And I have some still in the shrink wrap because I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. So what? Don't you think that people who make and sell HD-DVD/BD discs have kids too? We all gotta make a living somehow. With all of that said, I must say that your stance seems a bit odd to be taken in an audio/video forum.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I can't stand being in Frys holding a copy of Iwo Jima in my hand or any HD movie for that matter saying to my self ..."If you order from Amazon you save $5 and there's no sales tax and there's free shipping" Which is kinda why I like those worthless Amazon Buy days because I am able to put off HD movie purchases until then so I can order 5 or 8 HD movies at a time and save a total of almost $50 over the B&M stores, even the more reasonably priced ones like Fry's.

I ordered 3 movies from Amazon back in March... Babel, Hollywoodland and The Departed. The total price was 10 cents less than excluding Hollywoodland and Buying Babel and The Departed from Best Buy. I think HD movie discs are an addiction. But at least there's no bodily harm like illicit substances
although some of us may develop slightly larger bellies from sitting down watching all these HD movies!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know if I'm addicted. I will state for the record that we are very spoiled with the new HD media coming out.

Yes, I am format neutral with leanings towards HDDVD. But I have to say that we are getting quality titles from both camps that are beautiful to watch and listen to. Just finished Matrix Reloaded tonight and it was damn impressive. Watched POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl last night and it was phenomenal. Matrix the night before, and POTC: Dead Man's Chest tomorrow. *This* is why I have wanted a home theater for so long.

Netflix queue full of movies that I won't go and blind buy on, but have already picked up a few that I rented previously.

So, no...not addicted. Although I have a BB gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe off to BB tomorrow...

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Yup, but was the same with DVD, buy movies and then decide what I feal like watching, it is extremely hard because I work downtown and there are a few shops that I walk by.You think driving by is hard? imagine walking by or even having lunch in the food court with the store right in front of you.

BTW my unwatched Q is around 30

·
Registered
475 Posts
Does possessing just about every HD DVD released (including imports) make me an addict?

If so, please give me the number to HD DVD Anonymous.

169 HD DVD's and another 43 on Pre-Order

I even have 2 Blu-Ray movies and I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet

·
Registered
232 Posts
My significant other told me I was an addict when I said I was going to buy an HD-dvd player. "That's ridiculous. You already HAVE 5 dvd players. Why do you need another one? You have to get rid of one before you get another one!"

It didn't help that I argued; "This one is a dvd recorder which is hooked up to the dvr. This is the only dvd-audio player that I have. I have THIS one because it' s the only one set up without macrovision encoding- and this one is region free." The last one is also a dvd recorder that is hooked up to an editing station where I can edit VHS, svhs, vhs-c and 8mm and hi 8mm camcorder tapes. (It's right next to the computer where I capture mindv tapes and edit home movies and pre-movie shows on my real last dvd player that, luckily, wasn't counted- the one on the computer.) And NONE of them play HD-dvd!!!

This doesn't make me an addict...... right?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I caught the addiction when I first got my HD DVD player, and I finally got over it. I relapsed and went down the same road when I finally got a Blu-Ray player too. I'm back on track with sanity, and I'm trying to direct my "fun money" towards more equipment and other toys. Good movies are nothing to feel bad about buying, I just need to wait for them to come out instead of settling on mediocre movies that I would probably have not bought if it were an SD DVD and I didn't own an HD player.

Oh how us AV geeks can so easily get in over our heads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.