AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting a problem from the Chicago OTA forum, because the same problem comes over-the-air, from two stations (WIFR and WBBM) that aren't owned by the same company. It could be a network issue.

On both stations, over "the past couple of months or so", as he says, HD images from the network, whether sports, dramas, etc., have "excessive" edge enhancement, as well as less detail and more artifacting than what had been seen before.

Our combined theory is that things went wrong when CBS switched over to their DVB-S2 distribution system. This system included new Harris NetVX encoders, that might have default settings which promote EE (akin to the Motorola encoders that Fox recently installed). CBS has installed NetVX's at their O&O's, so there is the potential that the same settings would need to be corrected there, too (not to mention other NetVX-equipped stations).

Anybody notice signal degradation?

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
That would be me who reported it.

The microblocking I see has always been there to some degree on those channels - at least during Football. And on the one channel (WIFR), it's always been noticably worse. But last night during the Bears' game it did seem even worse than I remembered it last season (that could always be unrelated, though).

What I've been seeing otherwise, though, up to this point on many programs for the last couple of months or so, looks exactly how FOX did when they first upgraded - sort of "cartoonish". I noticed it mainly on the primetime dramas at night when I would flip by (even though I generally don't watch any of those).

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
FOX had that problem for a few weeks. Both companies and many stations use Evertz equipment and the newer 7800 models are being shipped with detail enhancement enabled by default. In my opinion this was a terrible decision by Evertz. These modules are commonly controlled using Evertz's Vistalink system. There are often many tabs on a page for a module, and there is one dedicated for detail enhancement. I think most users do not have any intention of using its detail enhancement and don't navigate to that tab with the assumption that it's not already enabled.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
I really wasn't that surprised that no one had mentioned it yet, because the shows are in reruns (and most people that watch "Ghost Whisperer" or their sitcoms don't really care about that kind of thing, anyway), but I was figuring if people here were noticing a problem at all, they'd start mentioning it for sure once the Football season started.

The Bears' game I saw last night on WIFR (Rockford) looked absolutely terrible. If it's more than just those two, local CBS channels, I think people may have to get on their butts, like they did with FOX.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
That game didn't look to be a CBS network game from what I see on TitanTv. In NY it was carried on WNBC. This sounds more like a local problem. BTW I haven't noticed that issue on CBS's programming, but I'm not watching either of those stations.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
The same game that was on WIFR (CBS) was on WFLD (FOX) here, and it just looked like any other typical Football game on FOX (like the usual, lower-than-usual-in-resolution HD, but fine otherwise. No artifacts or excessive edge enhancement).

I really haven't seen any Football yet on WBBM (CBS), but their primetime dramas have all looked bad (just like FOX did after upgrading) for a couple of months or more (and I noticed it on those same programs on WIFR, too, when I went by them).

Couldn't have just been my eyes, because they changed suddenly after looking great for years, and the other channels don't appear that way to me - other than ABC, once they added Live Well, and pretty much degraded the main channel to "DVD-like" quality. But that's exactly what CBS looks like to me now - a bad DVD for a lot of the shows that didn't look that way before (soft, detail smoothed over, and very noticable EE). Live sports such as Golf generally looked OK to me up 'till now - as long as it wasn't as fast-moving as Football. But I didn't even really notice the EE on it. Same with Letterman. Mostly the stuff on film - up until this Football game. Like I said - pretty much the same as it was on FOX a few months back, where the primetime dramas seemed to show the problem the worst.

What I'm seeing also coincides with CBS's supposed upgrading of their decoders a few months back.

I don't know. If people don't start to report seeing it during Football now, then it probably is just those two channels (which would be a pretty strange coincidence that it's just two channels in adjoining markets). Because, as it looked last night, I can't see anyone not noticing - not the way they usually notice those types of things otherwise here.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
From what I've read CBS did the NetVX encoders upgrade long before they changed the network distribution a few months ago. They also distribute the CW network using the same type of system.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I can see how horrible!
the "PQ" is on The Price is Right.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV /forum/post/17323193

I can see how horrible!
the "PQ" is on The Price is Right.

Are you in Chicago or Rockford? That's pretty bad if it's noticable on something like that show. I have seen it, though, and it was always rather "soft". Most everything on in the daytime on all the channels looks pretty soft to me, actually.

Heck, even "Jeopardy" looks a little softer to me now in HD here, compared to their old, SD broadcast. I swear they're filtering everything in the daytime to make it look that way. Must be easier on all the housewives and retired people's eyes or something (although I know that much more than housewives and retired people watch Jeopardy).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
^^ I'm in Los Angeles, CA. The picture loos ridiculously SOFT. I remember when it use to be "stunning" or at least sharp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts