Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I am looking at the Integra DTR9.1 U2 and the Onkyo989v2 I know they are both the same company and I know that both of these receivers are identical except for the fact that the Integra has the CHAD LCD remote with it. from everything I have heard is that this remote is phenominal. the price diffence between the 2 units is $300.00 the remote by itself sells for $500.00. Do you guys know anything about this remote? is it worth it? also

do you know of any differnce that I may have over looked between these 2 receivers? all comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The chad is a pronto. Great remote -- fully programmable by pc so you can add discrete codes and macros to your heart's content -- but it is primarily a touch screen remote with very few buttons. Lots of people (myself included) prefer a remote with lots of real buttons on it so that you can operate it in the dark without looking down and staring at the touchscreen.

I've got a $20 remote (a radio shcak 15-1994, which was the precursur for the radio shack 15-2116) that does everything the pronto does but does it with keys (a great key layout); however, in order to configure that remote so it does exactly what I want in a wife and child-proof way I had to spend a long time learning how to hack it via a jp1 interconnection that I had to build that ties to my pc (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/messages and www.hifi-remote.com ). If you like doing that sort of DIY thing, a jp1 remote is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, you can find pronto wannabees that have lots of buttons on them (like the mx- series), but those tend to be a whole lot more expensive than the jp1 programmable remotes.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I have an Integra 8.2 which came with the CHAD remote. It is a great remote and there is no end to what can be done with it. That said I still prefer the button style. I do not think that it is easy to set up (manual is not very explanatory). As an example: if you choose a non Onkyo/Integra component from the menu the hard buttons (channel and volume) do not operate the receiver when these sources are selected on the remote. I called Integra to express my disatisfaction and they sent me a standard remote free. I then used it to program the CHAD hard buttons in the learn mode. The CHAD will function in locations within the room where most others will not.

Integra and its dealers will tell you that the Integra is superior (gold inputs, better power supply). I do not believe this. Onkyo is the equal at lesser cost. I would buy the Onkyo unless I wanted the CHAD.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't think the CHAD comes boxed with the 9.1U2 - only the 8.3. I just bought a 9.1U2, and it came with a learning remote, but not the CHAD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does the remote it came with look like does it look like the Onkyo989 remote? how much did you pay for your 9.1 U2?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, it's the same remote that comes with the Onkyo. I paid $2160 for my 9.1U2. Any other questions let me know.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, it's the same remote that comes with the Onkyo. I paid $2160 for my 9.1U2. Any other questions let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.