AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the post that I was trying to post to dissappear.

Can we not talk about this? If we can then here is my post...

I know this is totally top secret stuff(tm) but if you read english and look here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008900.html

you will realize that you can buy this bulb practically anywhere. You might be able to save $50 or so by going through the teambuilding mission of a powerbuy but why?. If Ralph offers a great price then fine. I know it's not an "authorized" mod, but maybe Alan might jump on the bandwagon too.

Lets here some reports on results. Can you say paradigm shift.

·
Registered
581 Posts
People are just worried of damaging there investment. I hate to damage my projector to save 200 dollars but if it proves to be safe why not.

I would like to know how many people have tried it and what were the results?

If there is a color shift or what?

Brightness?

Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm also suprised this didnt make a bigger impact, especially after all the moaning about the price of the Dila bulb. Maybe it is because no one has actually had to change bulbs since the other thread started and maybe Hugo is right about it only being two hundred dollars and not worth risking your projector. But if I am reading it right (and I still cant figure out why people who are doing it this way don't just say so)it appears there are a few who have done this and are now enjoyiong the benefits of longer bulb life and a cheaper bulb. I am getting very close to ordering a 500w bulb for my G-11(I have said before that I am now over 800 hrs and am starting to notice light output dropoff) but if anyone knows of a reason why I shouldn't or if anyone has and wants to share some good advice I would be glad to hear from you. I really did think this would be huge.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't worry Hugo you'll see some results over the next year as people start switching.

The post was pulled by readers so that JVC wouldn't catch wind and dry up the source. Not likely. First of all this bulb is sold medical, military, educational and all kinds of other applications and businesses. The projector market is very small and other manufacturers of projectors have been using and exerimenting with this bulb for a long time. A couple dozen HT nuts aren't even gonna. Second, it's not a custom build for JVC so they really don't have much say in the manufacturing and distribution. Like i said before it's fun to experiment with and it puts out more light. Of course contrast goes down, thats were Dilard comes in. I need to try this.

BTW. Bring on the Lasers! 1500+ contrast and light to spare. You want a 3D looking image? the first laser QXGA projector you see will defy your senses.

Martin, Many of the people that buy a $5K-$15K projector don't want to waste their time saving a couple hundred bucks. How many Mercedes or Ferrari owners change their own oil?

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
574 Posts
Tryg,

Personally, even after spending big money on the D-ILA, I would love to say a couple hundred on a bulb. The idea of using a higher wattage bulb even seems more interesting to me with my G11.

I think that there are a lot of 'tweakers' and engineering types in this group who would love to see the parts list and directions for a bulb substitute that works wonders. I know I would. I hope that this thread doesn't die and that those who have given this a try will post as Tryg mentioned.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
From the source (Ralph) concerning possible JVC interference:

"Our business with the manufacturer is larger than the JVC business. I do not

forsee any problems, it has already been over two years and counting".

I was on the side of keeping this quiet, but will roll the dice with what seems to be the majority.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ok, conspiracy theorists give it up...JVC isn't in the lamp business, we're in the projector business. This isn't the razor blade model we're dealing with here. The only reasons the lamp price is so high are a) it's a xenon lamp as opposed to UHP and b)it goes through a couple business units in Japan before coming here for sale...has to pass through a lot of hands, each adding to the cost!

We/I want to sell projectors, that's what keeps the factories humming and those of us in sales getting paid.

We have been complaining back to the factory since the day the projector was announced that the lamp price is restricting sales...to no avail.

I would love it if Ralph can cut everyone's lamp cost in half...after all, how do you think he found out about this forum???

Tom

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work Tom,

I personally think JVC would triple it's projector sales if they sold the bulb at cost.

But then they cancelled the G11 at the height of it's home theater popularity so some of us are still trying to understand the glitches in the business logic...

Can you send me a QXGA to demo?

·
Registered
613 Posts
If I know who the heck ralph was and how to get in touch with him I'd give the da*n thing a try...

The only email addy I've seen for this mystery man returned my request as "undeliverable"

And the person who claims to be in contact with him wont return my emails either.

I'm confused. Is this more vaperware?

------------------

( Don't mind me. I'll type anything to get to 500 posts :D )

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Excellent! Conspiracy over!

Now that we have a 'thumbs up' from JVC on getting these, we really should appeal to the other affected party, AVScience. They *do* sell the bulbs, after all.

I realize that the AVScience moderators tolerate quite a bit of competitive talk in this forum (witness the voluminous LT150 threads), but if this was a 'win' for them, I think that would be a good thing.

Maybe we can get the AVScience folks in touch with 'Ralph' to coordinate a bulb pre-order, and even with some AVS mark-up, still come in at an excellent price to the consumer.

Sign me up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is great news from Tom.

Now that I have a HDTV I see myself putting more time than the past.

Just like you Mark when you got your new toy...HDTV

How hard is it to adjust the pod. What does it intail.The G11U is rated at 420W and the The bulb without the adjustment run at 440W does this introduces extra heat.

Or is it not that much to worry about.

Thanks Hugo

·
Registered
180 Posts
There would be extra heat to deal with but a little extra ventilation,if needed would solve that. And I know no one here would trust the over heating cutoff on the Dila but as far as I have heard it has never failed to turn off peoples projectors before they were damaged. Tyrg, people with Ferraris might not change their own oil but if I had a dollar for every time I read a complaint about the price of Dila bulbs I'd have one parked in my driveway right now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Let me be clear about one thing here...none of this lamp replacement with various third party lamps is sanctioned, condoned, recommended, approved or in any was supported by JVC.

Your attempts to save money, extend life, increase brightness are all done at your own risk. Most of these projectors are covered by a three year warranty and if you screw something up while "experimenting", it could end up being a costly experiment.

I'm not trying to put a damper on everyone's enthusiasm here, I'm the experimentor type myself. I replaced more than one rear end in my '56 Chevy after I swapped the 265 for a 327 corvette motor, finally put a HD rear end in it then it started lunching transmissions...always a weak link somewhere when you start modifying things.

You've been warned!

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tom I understand what you are saying.

I see your view.

Whats the policy of JVC if a factory bulb blows up before 1000 hrs?

Thanks Hugo

·
Registered
581 Posts
Another question I have is there a bulb company that will install the bulb for us and insure it from defects? And liability.

Tom what is the worst damage you have herd about in a blown projector bulb.

Is there a chance of the panels being damage.

Hugo

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin P:
And I know no one here would trust the over heating cutoff on the Dila but as far as I have heard it has never failed to turn off peoples projectors before they were damaged.
The one time my G11 overheated (pre-hushbox, dirty filter), it shut down the fans as well as the lamp - doh! I've never heard anyone mention this "bug" before. I've also never heard of anyone attributing any damage to overheating. Even if you aren't worried about damage, however, no one wants their movies interrupted by thermal shutdowns. A lot of the better hushbox designs actually enhance the cooling of the projector, so the increased heat should not be a problem with a good hushbox.

- Chris

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kevin Gilmore, where are you? Now that this is 'okayed' by JVC, to an extent, would you mind talking some of us thru this. I noticed the other thread where you went into quite a bit of detail, though, if you any other info or have a simple process for this swap, please post.

We know that it is at our own risk.

Either that or as Mark H. says, lets get a cheaper group purchase going.

Thanks,

BriaN

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Am all for a real "power buy" from AVS...so sign me in!

But let's do it quickly as I'll be needing a replacement lamp very soon...

Btw, the other night I experienced a complete shut down of my 9015 D-ILA for the very first time (and nearly gave me a heart attack in the process!); the lamp AND cooling fans turned off suddenly and with hardly any warning while viewing The Mummy Returns DVD.

After following all the steps the owners manual suggest a user take under such failure conditions, a little investigation revealed that one of two Plexiglass plates placed underneath the 9015' "feet" (the unit is temporarily mounted on a movable structure as I haven't ceiling mounted it -an adjustable throw track system is nearly completed and it should be up very soon, but is not operational yet) lifted up JUST enough to block the free flow of air intake. Anyway, after a while I restarted the unit and continued watching the movie without any further incidents...

-THTS

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have been way to busy the last couple of days.

I did not take pictures when i changed the bulb out. The

next time i change it i will take some pictures.

There is a temperature sensor right next to the output of

the lightbulb. When you take the assembly out you will see

it. If it gets to hot the projector shuts down.

I consider it reasonably easy to change out the bulb.

2 screwdrivers, some thermal grease and gloves. The first

time you do it it will take an hour. If you look or act like

Red Green then you should avoid doing this. Otherwise

a slight bit of common sense and it is easy. Besides Ralph

will do the bulb swap for you at no cost.

Now as to whether it is worth it or not depends on how

you look at things. If you go thru 2 bulbs a year as i do

you can save about $500 a year. Not bad. If you have a G20

and go thru 2 bulbs a year you save $1600. At some point

over a few years this ends up significant.

If you are going to be in it for the long haul then you

should buy one extra complete lamp unit. Then at 80% of

bulb life you can send the second one away for re-lamping

so you will never be without your projector.

[This message has been edited by kevin gilmore (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin gilmore:

If you look or act like

Red Green then you should avoid doing this. Otherwise

a slight bit of common sense and it is easy. B]

heh heh, yeah... if your busy swapping out your bulb and you think a little duct tape will help...you're doing it wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.