Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to stream music from my PC to a Roku M1000. When it works it is great, but I am pushing the range envelope for my linksys WRT54G wireless router. My SNR is about 5 dB. The router is upstairs at one end of the house and the Roku is downstairs at the other end.

So I want to move the router to a central location. A convenient spot would be a closet. Before I do a lot of wiring, my question is: are normal stud and drywall transparent to wireless? Do others have good/bad results putting their wireless router in a closet?

Oh, as long as I'm at it, I also saw some long antennas at BB I can get for this router. The package claims 7 dB gain. Anyone have good/bad results trying these to extend range?

Thanks,

Sooke

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, I have no statistical data to offer you, but I thought I'd pass on that I have my network equipment in a closet in the middle of the first floor and it works just fine. I set up the network when my house was remodeled and have all my cable and telephone equipment running to a networking panel, and I placed my Linksys router on a shelf at the top of the closet. Strong signal strength throughout my normal-sized home, and on the back and front porches as well.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke
...are normal stud and drywall transparent to wireless? Do others have good/bad results putting their wireless router in a closet?...
No, sheetrock walls are not transparent to wireless rf. But I had my wireless router in a closet and it worked fairly well. There was an old iron pipe in one wall so maybe that hurt its range a bit...

I suggest you run some CAT5 along the floor to the closet, and just try it out first before drilling any holes...

Oh, and I should add, NO to the question "is a closet a good place"!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys (well... probably guys).

Anyone else try extra long antennas for their router like the ones available for the Linksys WRT54G?

Sooke

·
Registered
258 Posts
Like DaJoos, all my network equipment is in a closet. I get strong signal from my router fhroughout the house, including upstairs.

If your closet is in a central location that's probably the most important thing to getting good signal strength. Run of the mill house materials and construction aren't known for their ability to blocking EM radiation or noise. (Ask anyone whose ever lived in a townhouse.)

It doesn't help your signal strength by having your router and Roku at opposite ends of your house. You are passing the whatever signal you have through everything in between.

As for antennas, you can always see if the "gain" is worth the cost. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The closet works great as it's easy to put the router/AP up high on a shelf which IMO does more for signal strength than having it low and in the open. If you can't get coverage everywhere you want it you can always use a repeater. I use two to good effect and have coverage over my entire home, outdoor laundry room and pool house.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
Oh, and I should add, NO to the question "is a closet a good place"!
Come on! Let's not get crazy.

If this closet is close to the device, he will receive the best signal possible. Drywall will not prevent that. Do you have an access point in every room in your house?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.