AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it matters but if it does I'm wondering if I should order component RCA to VGA instead of component RCA to RCA.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
I suspect you mean BNC (Bayonet Neil-Concelman connector), not RGB (red-green-blue).

You should get cables with connectors compatible with the connections on your video equipment. Connector adaptors tend to cause reflections which degrade the signals.

BNC connectors are better than RCA, though. They make more reliable connections and they can be impedance matched to the cables and equipment.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys I screwed up...

It should have said is component RCA to VGA not RCA to RGB..oops!

:)

Chris

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Chris,

Now you've confused me even more. The terms you're using have several different meanings depending on the context but you haven't provided the context.

Are you talking about cables, connectors or signal convertors? What is the application? DVD to projector? Cable HDTV to receiver? HTPC to TV? Manufacturer and model numbers would help, too.

In general, both RCA and VGA connectors should be avoided if possible. They cause impedance mismatches and signal reflections.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..

I will be watching mainly DVD movies from a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player the RP56 which has the component output but in the back of my Sharp 9000U there is a connector for VGA like the ones used on the computers so I was just wondering if that route is better than rca to rca that's all.

Basically which one will give me better PQ?

In the future I will be watching HD as well so if it makes a difference I should buy the right cables now instead of having to upgrade later on.

Thanks for the help Selden Ball

Chris

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Chris,

Does the user's manual say the DB15 connector accepts YPrPb? Unfortunately, Sharp doesn't seem to be bothering to put manuals on the Web.

As best I can tell from online information, the DB15 connector on the Sharp projector is only for computer RGBHV signals, not component YPrPb. Sharp's Web page says "Computer RGB exclusive x1 (D-sub 15 pin)." However, it might just be market-speak for saying it's their only HD projector with a DB15 connector.

See
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...58,652,00.html

Most pre-made DB15 VGA-style cables use very thin wires. Their incrased resistance compared to standard 75 Ohm RG-6 cables causes significant signal attenuation if the cables have to be very long.

I'd suggest running both types of cables, especially if you're doing an in-wall or otherwise difficult cable installation. It's better to have too many cables than not enough: be sure to run cables for S-Video and composite signals, too.

It'd probably be best to use the shortest possible DB15-to-BNC breakout cables. They're readily available at most computer stores. Run 5 separate RG-6 cables for most of the distance.

Then you can select the appropriate video signal at the projector, instead of using an external switch. Some HDTV receivers do have RGB outputs on DB15 connectors. And you might decide to go with an HTPC at some time in the future.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in a similar situation. Component video out from DVD to HD15 into the Panasonic 711XU projector. Any ideas. I am running individual RG6 cables through the walls.

One suggestion in the group was to buy a short VGA to BNC breakout cable for the projector. My question is that I then need to attach BNC female (crimp type) connector to the RG6's. Canare was my preferred brand, but they do not have this type of a connector.

What says the forum.

Thanks. -amitabh

·
Registered
404 Posts
I made a set of RCA to HD15 for my LT150. Luckly the LT150 in the manual has the information on which pins are used for component on the HD15. I used some speaker wire before I realized I need to use 75ohm coax. The unfortunate part is that the current 75ohm I have is too thick to solder into the HD15 adapter. I guess I just need to go out and find some smaller 75ohm cabling ... duh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, there are several type of impedance i Coax cables.

You should check with your supplier to get the right kind.

Eg. 50 Ohms, are used (or should I say used) in cpmputer networkcabling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.