AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy the Sony A80J and was wondering if CPS or Allstate would be better? I could get 6 years from Costco or 3 from CPS, but I never dealt with warranty before as my old LG 1080p t.v. never had any issue and never had to use these companies before. 1 year limited manufacturer warranty from Sony is by default which seems decent, but not sure how unreliable it is. I seen the Costco version of the A80J has a microphone built into the t.v. too which seems neat for google controls.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure what CPS is but I'm a big fan of pretty much anything related to Costco. I consider them trustworthy and reliable and given a choice, I will almost always go with Costco over another option even if it costs me a little more $$$.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I never heard of them either, but Greentoe/Buydig offers their warranty program.

Costco offers Allstate, but it is not Costco directly so idk how well Allstate performs.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just in case you're not aware, the A80CJ has a Sony warranty for the first 3 years. As noted, the A80J has a 1 year Sony warranty. I have not received the actual Allstate warranty to read, but I get the impression it may stop at 5 years based on other discussions and the Costco website. The sample Allstate document does list 5 years for TVs in the cancellation area.

·
Registered
279 Posts
CPS has horrible reviews while Costco is known to be good to their members. You'll have to look up the exact terms of their warranty. Specifically who covers what during what year, but most seem to agree you are getting at least 5 years of reasonably good coverage through them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just in case you're not aware, the A80CJ has a Sony warranty for the first 3 years. As noted, the A80J has a 1 year Sony warranty. I have not received the actual Allstate warranty to read, but I get the impression it may stop at 5 years based on other discussions and the Costco website. The sample Allstate document does list 5 years for TVs in the cancellation area.

I read that the A80CJ has an extra microphone built into the t.v. too which with Google Home would be nice. Costco is offering 3 years additional built into the price so even if they only cover up to 5 years total, it is still nice. That is assuming if Allstate is reliable.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Most TV failures (and electronics in general) either occur in the first year from defects or after many years from fatigue. The people who sell warranties know this. That's why they typically pick up after the manufacturers warranty and end a few years before life expectancy. That's why I avoid them unless I get a great deal or it's something that will age faster than expected because of specific use. In aggregate I come out ahead. Way ahead.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most TV failures (and electronics in general) either occur in the first year from defects or after many years from fatigue. The people who sell warranties know this. That's why they typically pick up after the manufacturers warranty and end a few years before life expectancy. That's why I avoid them unless I get a great deal or it's something that will age faster than expected because of specific use. In aggregate I come out ahead. Way ahead.
I consider "free" a great deal! :cool:

Gotta love Costco for that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I should probably stick with Greentoe?

I consider "free" a great deal! :cool:

Gotta love Costco for that.

Greentoe is offering the entire T.V. with 1 year manufacturer warranty for $1,700 with no tax since the retailer does not charge tax in my state. Greentoe was offering 25% off the warranty which would still be quite a bit cheaper than Costco.

Costco with the free warranty would put me at $1984.49 after tax, but I would have a 6 year warranty as part of it.

Does the A80JC have any significant differences than the regular A80J besides the microphone? Is there a better chance for an EVO panel?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
So I should probably stick with Greentoe?
This sort of thing probably amounts to personal preference or priorities. My opinion is that potential fees at Greentoe are fairly expensive in relation to potential savings for the models I considered. I thought about returning my current TV, so I'm not sure what I'll decide about the OLED. For me the TV is an unnecessary luxury, so it's possible I may decide it is not worth the price. A potential 15% restocking fee simply does not fit my own considerations. Basically I'd want a larger savings percentage to accept Greentoe's terms, and clearly others with different priorities consider it a good deal.

Greentoe is offering the entire T.V. with 1 year manufacturer warranty for $1,700 with no tax since the retailer does not charge tax in my state.
Many states with sales tax also have use tax. Personally I'd pay use tax on a Greentoe purchase, as indicated on my state tax return. For my state, the price difference due to tax considerations seems rather minimal.

Does the A80JC have any significant differences than the regular A80J besides the microphone? Is there a better chance for an EVO panel?
I think the Sony warranty, microphone, and 5 more included movies are the only reported differences.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sort of thing probably amounts to personal preference or priorities. My opinion is that potential fees at Greentoe are fairly expensive in relation to potential savings for the models I considered. I thought about returning my current TV, so I'm not sure what I'll decide about the OLED. For me the TV is an unnecessary luxury, so it's possible I may decide it is not worth the price. A potential 15% restocking fee simply does not fit my own considerations. Basically I'd want a larger savings percentage to accept Greentoe's terms, and clearly others with different priorities consider it a good deal.

Many states with sales tax also have use tax. Personally I'd pay use tax on a Greentoe purchase, as indicated on my state tax return. For my state, the price difference due to tax considerations seems rather minimal.

I think the Sony warranty, microphone, and 5 more included movies are the only reported differences.
Ah ok, I was able to negotiate it down to $1650. At 15% restocking fee, it is still cheaper than buying from Costco outright rn and if the warranty and panel is pretty much the same, then Greentoe looks to be best then. The microphone in the t.v. seems a bit nice to have to use to control my lights and stuff, but then again I have my phone for that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Greentoe's main selling point is that they're a convenient way to quickly find good offers below unilateral pricing. Occasionally there are better offers elsewhere, like the deals threads here or Slickdeals. The following is the only item I've ran across.
The microphone in the t.v. seems a bit nice to have to use to control my lights and stuff, but then again I have my phone for that.
I think I've read that there's a button on the remote that also allows voice input, and the Google TV app may also allow voice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greentoe's main selling point is that they're a convenient way to quickly find good offers below unilateral pricing. Occasionally there are better offers elsewhere, like the deals threads here or Slickdeals. The following is the only item I've ran across.

I think I've read that there's a button on the remote that also allows voice input, and the Google TV app may also allow voice.
I just saw another deal, I was about to pull the trigger on the greentoe deal for the Sony 65" A80J $1650, but then I saw the a Refurbished 77" LG CX for sale for $2,000 at Microcenter. Is there a big picture difference for movies and t.v. shows? I only care about movie watching and doubt I will ever have any consoles to plug into the t.v.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts